1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just tried Bass Shakers on my humble rig for the first time.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SwaggerJacker, Apr 8, 2020.

1. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sweet Mother of Chicken!! I don't think I could go back now. To get tactile input from something other than my wheel was mind blowing. Late to the party, but worth the bus fare!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Great to hear, possible to get how you set yours up? Thanks!

3. SwaggerJacker

Sure. It was pretty simple. I went the DIY route with help from Jimmy's tutorial. Going to expand on it when times get better. Pandemic and all.:(

• Like Like x 3
  4. SwaggerJacker

I have two left/right on the lower back of my chair. I was quite surprised by the strength of the small transducers. But then, my rig a modified lawn chair! Even so, last night I had to lower the amp to mid power else I'd have had my daughter staring daggers at me.:eek:

Also, I used the same amp and transducers that Jimmy used. The amp has it's own sound card.

• Like Like x 1
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have been using shakers for around 4 years now, recently upgraded to one on each corner and the improvement is awesome. I have tried racing without them a couple of times and just can't do it now, it is just lifeless without them

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Elcid43

Thanks for the video, seems simple enough and worth doing bud ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Elcid43

Possible to share your setup bud?

8. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It makes an even bigger difference in VR having that rumble under your butt, I'd also recommend adding a USB fan in your face especially for VR, makes open wheelers and the Caterhams even more immersive for almost no cash.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. SwaggerJacker

It really does make a difference. Feeling the gear shifts and the rumble strips is amazing. So much more immersive. I set the shakers to vibrate at 95% brake pressure to warn me of an imminent lock-up. Worked a treat! And I spend way too much time in the pits just sitting there feeling the engine rumble. Money well spent. In fact, if anyone is upgrading their rig, shakers are a must, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. F1Aussie

IMG_20200227_230242867_copy_768x1024.jpg IMG_20200227_212923479_copy_2080x1560.jpg IMG_20200301_221030309_copy_1280x960.jpg
    No great setup for AMS 2 yet, just the standard Sim commander one, it does seem that it is missing some effects ATM or I just haven't found a good setting yet. But it works great on Rf2, F1 2019, AC, ACC and Raceroom.
    I have got two Behringer nx3000d amps but I am only running 4 Dayton BST1'S at the moment. The plan was to get the amps when they were on special and in stock and then get some higher powered transducers or buttkickers at a later stage. IMG_20200227_213015145_copy_2080x1560.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. F1Aussie

And when it is lumpy V8 at idle, you just sit there and rock from it, is superb. I really like the gear shift kick as well but in simvibe it is much more subtle than simhub. The feeling over kerbs is great too. I find the hardest thing to get right is road feel, some tracks feel billiard table smooth, some rough as guts, is hard to get a good consistent feel.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SwaggerJacker

I'm using it mainly in AMS2 ATM. Also using SimHub's Overlays.
    I agree that road feel is a bit of a challenge. But man, that jolt from shifting is crazy! I'm just using 2 Dayton TT25-8's 8 ohms, but I still turn down the overall gain; especially at night. I plan to undo the ghetto like setup later on and add a few more speakers and another amp. I'm really digging the overlays.
    upload_2020-4-9_6-27-51.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. Elcid43

Borrowed some stuff from an audio friend and I am hooked to the point that I am going to build another rig to try and maximize the output of these shakers. 4 dayton shakers with a car amp and simhub has really upped the feel of this sim racing stuff. You my boy Swagger ;)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scoops

Scoops Member

I was thinking about the bass shaker route and ended up here. Whatever route you take having that tactile feedback takes it to another level

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kevin39

Kevin39 New Member

So do they make a lot of noise or is it subsonic? I play almost exclusively when the baby is sleeping

16. Elcid43

They are mostly quiet. It also depends on where you mount them as far as causing vibrations from resonating and humming. And, if they are turned up too high you will get some unappealing sounding clatter :mad:;)

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. SwaggerJacker

Yup. Takes it to another level!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gainey

Gainey New Member

Hi
    hi mate how did you get the overlay to work on ams2? I made an overlay but can’t get it to work

19. Spin

Spin Active Member

I have 4 new Clark Synthesis TST429 Platinum Transducers.
    If anyone's interested in buying them, send me a PM.
    I was going to use them with my Simlab P1 cockpit and even pair them up with my Next Level Racing Motion Platform v3 but they've been sitting in their boxes for a year and I just lost motivation to use them and they cost me a lot of money.

20. JASON CHAMBERLAIN

JASON CHAMBERLAIN Member

Not sure if I should thank you or curse you, but I'm now about $80 poorer as a result of this thread. I got to experience PC1 in VR with shakers a long time ago and that set me on this journey. I've had a VR setup since last Christmas and this seemed like the logical next step. I just have to figure out how I'm going to put the 2 Dayton pucks on my Openwheeler cockpit now. That video tutorial is just what I needed to push me over the edge.

Thursday is going to be a tough day waiting for the Amazon guy to show up!