1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vJoy not working

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Dan-Ove Brantholm, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Dan-Ove Brantholm New Member

I have a DIY FFB Wheel that uses vJoy to interface with the game. Everything work ok in the menu, and I also have FFB effects in the car, but it doesn't take the steering input. Have tried with both custom and Legacy wheel in the settings. I tried the PC2 demo and have the same fault with that too. Can I expect this to be fixed in a near time, or should I just return the game?

2. Mauro Fx

Mauro Fx New Member

I own a vJoy wheel too and the wheel doesn’t work in game. It’s well recognized in menu option but when I start a race it doesn’t work. The car can’t turn anyway. The FFB seems working and if the car crash the wheel turn and rumble.

3. Towers

Towers New Member AMS2 Club Member

Please try reducing "Controller Dampening" to 0 and check if the wheel turn in game but with a big deadzone in the middle.
    Thanks

4. Mauro Fx

Mauro Fx New Member

I will try this. In the meanwhile I can tell you the big dead zone in the middle appears if I select gamepad as controller and assign left and right from the wheel.

5. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Well, now the wheel work, kind of... Very weird, It's like mega lag + if I turn the wheel a little bit and then press the throttle, the wheel turns more...

6. Towers

Thank you, now we know that "Controller Dampening" does something "weird" as you said... let's hope @Heitor Facuri Cicoti read this and report to devs.

@Mauro Fx I can choose between "Custom wheel" or "Legacy Wheel", the deadzone is still there BUT the steering in game starts to work only if I move the "Controller Dampening" setting from 100% to any other value.

7. NoThrottleControl

NoThrottleControl New Member

I use vjoy with keyboard and mouse and have the same problems (and had similar problems with pcars2). Pressing the throttle key makes the wheel linear/removes the deadzone. Without throttle there is some sort of deadzone/nonlinearity/lag near the center. Steering deadzone and controller dampening are at 0 in settings. I don't think controller dampening is at fault here. It does what it should do. There just seems to be something wrong with the way vjoy inputs are processed by the game.

8. Mauro Fx

Mauro Fx New Member

thanks @Towers. Moving “Controller Dampening" setting from 100% to any other value allowed me to steer in game. Now the wheel works, but with a huge dead zone (or imput lag in the middle), maybe not so big as you describe but enough to not allow a normal driving. I think there’s a bug or something else concerning Dampening option. I hope Devs will investigate

9. Towers

Yes I think it slightly reduces if you set the minimum degrees of rotation on your wheel control panel, but you still have it from 240 to 1080

10. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Was hoping for some kind of response from Reiza. I can understand that it is not the highest on the list, but at least some respond that they gonna work on it in the near future had been appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Towers

12. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Update! Moved the throttle from "Y" axle to "Ry" axle, and now the throttle doesn't affect the steering input, but the the input lag is still there.

13. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 New Member

how did u even get the game to detect vjoy!!!
    i too use mouse steering and cant get the game to detect either vjoy emulated mouse steering or ppjoy emulated mouse steering.....the center deadzone for the default mouse steering is so annoying.....

14. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Is it absolutely nessesary for you to use vjoy?
    How about using Xpadder instead?

15. Dan-Ove Brantholm

A year later... I have a DIY wheel which is built around vJoy. I actually downloaded the AMS2 demo today to check if there had been any update, but same issue. I think it should be easy to solve if there just was an option in game to mark the "controller" as a wheel and not a "game controller" which the game seems to think it is. Anyway, as a rFactor2 user, I guess I don't miss anything according to different reviews....

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  16. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

its not the purpose of a developer to support every controller hack/trash that's floating arround in this world. Because you wanted to save some bucks, you want to push the developers to invest hours of investigation and effort to support your device. And then talk bad about them. Wierd o_O

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Biucci

Biucci New Member AMS2 Club Member

Criticizing Reiza may be wrong, considering the results achieved during development, the quantity, quality and selection of content and the general quality of AMS and AMS2.
    Being harsh toward them is just unfair.

On the other hand, if a controller is detected as a generic gamepad (or an emulation of) there is a 10% deadzone around center (for each side) and at each end.
    This is enforced, there is no option or workaround to disable it and it's there just while driving, during calibration the steering input is properly read and represented on screen.
    So being harsh toward frustrated users who are suffering from a software related issue is unfair as well.

It's an issue inherited with Madness Engine, as it's affecting PC2 in the same exact way.
    It's not Reiza's direct fault but it's also true that gamepad enforced filtering/additional deadzones has been a reported issue since the beginning.

Just a note: the issue is not just there for people trying to use some cheaper solutions (as this could be some sort of excuse...), it's affecting also some higher end hardware from some time ago, which uses emulation software layers (and which still work very well in almost all other softwares).
    Driving/racing sims are still a small niche in the market, disrespecting niche solutions may not be the smartest move...today it's somebody else, tomorrow it could be me/you.

• Like Like x 4
  18. nosazik

nosazik New Member

Can u help me, i want to use a mouse on PC2 Too. But when i had vjoy freepie enable the menu uncontrollable and axis is not detected

19. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Didn't feel that I criticized, just wanna share some feedback because I know I'm not the only one with the problem, and it's not just vJoy that has the problem. Remember that you don't need to go so many years back when many of the DD wheels was "DIY" equipments. My keyboard is also "Fully supported", so I see no reason to buy a controller. Maybe in the future we will drive real cars with "game controller" like equipment, but for an old dog like me, I prefer a wheel with feedback... Also building my own equipment is a part of the hobby... Sorry to the people that felt offended...