1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI editor, what are your thoughts about it ?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Silvano, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sadly the AI in AMS2 will be at the most as good as AMS1 with the "eternal" problem, at least for me: the AI line will never match yours because of some segments where AI are faster or slower as the player.
    So in segments where AI are faster obviously they will tend to rear end you as in other places they will be too slow and ruine your pace. Of course you can pass them in slow segments, but at the cost they will be on your rear as soon as a faster segment comes in.
    I did allready for AMS1, i suggested @Renato Simioni to have a sort of editor where anyone can, either make AI faster or slower in some segments witch would take off this big problem that plague the player.
    I got a answer that it would make AI like "robot" ?! Well, i think the contrary, if this is made, we could enjoy a good pace over the whole track and overtaking would get really challenging.

Now this is just my opinion, maybe i am totaly wrong, what do you think of this idea ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Honestly? Don't see the need. Most of us simmers don't know anything about how to program AI, so you'll end up with hundreds of amateur profiles claiming to be better than stock which are in fact garbage. Or, as Renato suggested himself, robotic. At the very least, even decent profiles would be tailored to the strengths and weaknesses of the driver who made them, and therefore not necessarily suitable for all.

There's also the fact that making an AI programming tool for general public consumption (rather than the developer tools Reiza are likely using) would take development time away from the sim itself.

So all-in-all, I'd much rather have some patience and leave Reiza to sort out the AI when it comes up in their development schedule.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Nah, man. I trust Reiza with the AI. AMS 1 has the one of the best, and perhaps the best, AI in the whole sim world. Every series has their weakness and strength. You can even finetune with the AI strength and aggressiveness.

4. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

yeah I can't see specific track detailed AI Editors ever becoming a "thing", personally I love the iRacing approach with various sliders (akin to the ISI Talent File) whereby it's an overall representation of behaviour, tweak able to each AI driver so you get varying differences between them all.

Anything that makes it more "work" to get the AI decent is massively time consuming and even after that you'll still find flaws that could ruin the experience, best bet is to enjoy what the Devs do but always Race with the notion that they're not always gonna be "great" in certain areas.

5. Stepy

Stepy Member

I would welcome an editor. I used to record new lines in AC for the A.I, it used to drive me mad the weird lines they would take really broke the immersion and braking 300 mtrs for hairpins etc. The problem in this game is that the A.I don`t use the same physics as the player.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Ai should be handled by the devs. These guys are very smart and this task should not be underestimated..

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

i don't see a need for the effort to release a tool, that 20 modders need and 100.000 users have no clue. Compare it with FFB. Only 3 sliders and more than 100 "best FFB" settings.
    Lets keep it in the hands of the professionals. They did a good job with AMS1, fixed many things in a short time that SMS was able to do.
    Its a process. We should always remind ourselfes, that we can't get everything @ start.
    If somebody thinks he is cute enough to know everything better and its worth it, i think Reiza will hire him. :p

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS1 level of ai quality is good enough for me.

9. Silvano

Well, thank you all for your opinion,
    @Goffik an AI editor for "all public" is what i talk about. this would be just a pic of the track in 2D where you can move around and select with the mouse the segment you judge not in pace then giving the value + - So not a programming tool but a simple way for us to take away this problematic. BUT as i read your comments, my idea is not wellcome...

No problems, i respect that and i stay with the thought (since GTR2 so about nearly 20 years of simracing experience) that it would cure some imperfection of AI.
    I am aware that Devs make a great job and i appreciate very much Reiza development over the years since GSC.
    Too bad alltough the AI in AMS1 is the (nearly best) we can have, i just state it could be much better.

10. Silvano

With all that said, i stick to Reiza as i think its the best of all the sim today, alltough RaceRoom is on the highest branch too, and let me tell you one thing, since quite some time i only drive in AMS, why? because its like being home, so immersiv..the sounds the physic and even i like the enhanced grafic. And with the sequel, we have weather action ;)
    AMS 2 will be a great sim too.:hurrayreiza:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  11. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think if there was an AI editor that could edit skills, mistakes, names etc that would be as good as a livery editor or a custom championship tool, great idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 250swb

250swb Active Member

While Reiza are still treating the Ai as 'bugged' what is the point of asking for fixes when they are already in the pipeline? It's not like they haven't already acknowledged ongoing discrepancies in the 0.8.2 release. It's kind of like putting a vanilla sponge cake in the oven and halfway through deciding you wanted a chocolate sponge cake, just give it time to cook.

13. Silvano

Nice message but your beside the point i wanted to do, read again ;) if this idea comes to the ears of @Renato Simioni and the Reiza staff, there is 1 chance out of 10 billions chances that maybe this will be on the list, ok, but who dont try, wont win :whistle:

@John Hargreaves, yes exactely and the livery and championship editor could be a bomb, seen that AMS 2 wont be modded.

@250swb, i doubt a lot they will cook the AI in this way, i think more they will develop AI to be just as good as in AMS 1 ;)

14. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The idea is very welcome. I just think we should first wait and see how AI will evolve. It's too soon for modding tools at this state of heavy development.

• Like Like x 1
  15. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mmm, I'm not so sure - how many of us have plotting to edit the liveries of the 'fictional' F1 cars at the first opportunity, assuming this functionality makes it into the game. A little bit of thinking ahead will do no harm, and a custom championship mode was one of the most asked for features in PC2.

16. Silvano

There is nothing much we can do at this moment, just hope Reiza will hear from that :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1