1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You got that Link that shows the Percentages of the "Masked Area"? Post that here for others reference to show how much performance they could get :)

2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

3. MarcG

4. Chaz

Chaz New Member AMS2 Club Member

With the most recent update.... Reverb Pro. SteamVR SS 150%. 2692x2640 per eye. Motion reprojection disabled. In-game SS is 1.0. Max graphics- everything turned up. 20 car field with clouds. 60-70fps average according to fpsVR. Very nice considering EA week 2. :)

5. BrassYeti

BrassYeti New Member

Wow. 2080ti and reverb here. I'll have to see if I can move up some settings. I am at 0.9 steam ss and most everything on on low except for aa and car details. I need the 90fps though. 60-70fps is a too low to me. I took the same settings I had in pcars2 and copied it over.

6. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As i'm hopelessly disorganised, i didn't bookmark it.

Fortunately, The Iron Wolf is, so i grabbed it off him ;)
    HMD_ham.PNG

There was a reason the Rift didn't have a figure, something to do with unspecified FOV or something, but i found decent gains and the mask is quite big, so i would suggest somewhere above the average mask size probably.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MarcG

Yep that's the one (thanks, more so for those that haven't seen it), it's the HAM setting which for (my) Reverb means there won't be much performance to gain at all, but others like the Index it could be huge.

8. cezar

cezar BANNED BANNED

Do I have the impression that some cars are too large to scale? some very wide steering wheels?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I have a mixed feeling with AMS2 in VR right now. Yesterday I launched AC for comparison right after AMS2. For now, AC is clearer and nicer probably because I can run it with all options between high and ultra and use supersampling 2.0 with it. My FPS is at 45 at starting line with 15 AIs and stay at 90fps all long during the race. With AMS2 I need to lower nearly all (but cars at Ultra and particle at medium) and can't go above SS 1.5. My fps stay 90% of the race time at 45 with some rare raise to 90. I think VR need some extra work here to optimize it. Also, setting tracks quality as Low don't seems to really do something as I can't see any difference (probably it have difference with a side by side comparison). E.g. my FPS take a dig each time I see a bunch of spectators (crowds) even at low. They should be removed at Low IMHO. In any case, even at 45fps it still pretty immersive and I have tons of fun, AMS2 FFB is far better IMO than the AC one.

10. MarcG

Well one Sim is 7-8 years old running on an older graphical engine, the other is a 2020 Sim running on a much more recent & demanding graphical engine, it's no surprise you have to lower details in AMS2!

Now that's not to say there can't be some performance optimisation in the future, but in reality to compare performance to AC is a bit redundant IMO, the two are totally different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I agree obviously with you, but the fact is the quality picture in VR in AC in high/ultra settings (including AA) seems far better, and sharper, whatever age have the technics, than AMS2 right now at lower settings (& no AA) and lower fps. If I could raise SS above 1.5, add some post effects, and raise shadow, I'm sure AMS2 will be far beautiful. In reality I made the test, and it was great, but FPS was below 45fps... My proc is from 2012 with old MOBO an DDR3 ram, that don't help ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I find it's better to have SS at 1.0 in the VR settings and use MSAA medium or high in the graphics settings. There is also a tweak to make everything a bit sharper in one of the xml files.

ETA: Sharpening in VR:
    VR Sharpening filter for Oculus?

I have the same graphics card as you and the CV1 and get 90fps was most detail on high with no dropping down to ASW.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Yep I know the XML trick and already apply it, and yes, I know also than SS at 1.5 is the mass killer fps in my case, but I can't deal with lower SS. 1.5 is the sweet spot for my eyes in any case, even with the XML change...

BTW, somebody know which parameters we need to add to the AMS2 executable to force it running as VR for Oculus? I'm asking as Simvibe (updated today) launch directly the executable with those parameters : "-applaunch 1066890" which is the 2D monitor version. probably a -Oculus or similar but I don't want to test all possibility here ;)

Edit : Made a lot of tests unsuccessful. The "-applaunch 1066890" always launch the executable like this "ams2avx.exe -novr" (verified with task manager) and adding anything in command line just can't remove the -novr E.g. writing "-applaunch 1066890 -vr" will launch "ams2avx.exe -novr -vr" prioritizing the -novr. Can a dev comment what we can do to bypass through command line the Steam menu asking Run in 2D/Run in VR/ Run with Oculus?

EDIT2:
    Ok, I found the solution for my Oculus : In the SimCommander Launch parameters fields (Control Center->Games->Advanced part), replace the default "-applaunch 1066890 -silent" by "steam://launch/1066890/othervr -silent" and all work fine :)

setting "vr" instead of "othervr" in this string will do the trick for SteamVR user.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I don't know why you insist on SS? IMHO using MSAA and sharpening in the Madness engine gives better results at a much lower cost. Have you tried it?

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Yes tried too at the beginning. I'm making tons of tests those last days for image quality and performance balancing, so I will try again following your advice :)

EDIT : I must admit the SharpeningStrengh in xml do a pretty good job, I had to raise it between 1,6 and 2,0 but the image quality is good with some MXAA (Low or Middle, keeping SS at default 1.0 in VR menu) and I got lot of headroom to keep the 90fps, even with Visuals menu set like in 2D Monitor (full, with post-process, bloom, etc.) which I cannot keep like this previously. Thanks for the great advice, I keep it ! :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Chaz

Chaz New Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's a VR benchmark video I put together.

17. MarcG

A few points on the Benchmarking process:
    1) 150% SS, why? You're putting extra strain on the system when the Reverb looks just fine at default 100% and all benchmarking should be done at Default ideally.
    2) If you're gonna come back and compare this Benchmark after a new update in the future you won't have the same scenarios; AI may lock up and create more Smoke, you may look around more, there maybe more or less visible cars on display, wet weather may be slightly different etc etc So therefore comparisons won't be directly "the same" each time you come back to do the same tests (if that is what you're planning), so results will be skewed. But if not then this is fine for a general look.
    3) Have you tried/heard of the FCAT Software from nVidia? You can do proper diagnostic benchmarking, now I'm not sure it works with AMS2 but I did a lot of it for RF2 and the results over time (as S397 improved performance for VR) were great to see. Might be worth looking in to :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. zelig85

zelig85 New Member

Hey I have been trying to get a response about this issue for ages. My Vr isn't working with this game. It keeps minimising to desktop. The game keeps playing but I can't get it to come back up. It's not a performance issue because my system can handle every other game it's an issue with the game. I can't get in any races. I load in and it minimises. I click on the icon in the task bar and it will load back up but within a few minutes it happens again. after happening a few time no matter how many times i click on the icon or alt tab into the game it just minimises again. It's infuriating

19. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Mmm, I may have wrong, but usually it mean another program grab focus on your computer so the game minimize. I resolved a similar case by using a tool found on internet called activewindow.exe. You start it and it will display a list of the current active window each time it change. it allowed me to find what was the problem (an old antivirus one time, an hided banner notification an other time, etc.). You can try to catchthe problem by using also the task manager open in parallel when you launch the game.

Ha!, I retrieved this small tool, it's 34Kb :

Worth a try, and sorry if not the way to find a solution...

20. Twinz

Twinz Member

I've used FCAT on AMS2 and it works.

• Like Like x 1