1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RST Telemetry App by RacingSimTools

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Zeraxx, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Zeraxx

Zeraxx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey guys,

I’m excited to announce that the RacingSimTools license for AMS2 is officially released. To download the tool go to https://www.racingsimtools.com/software and click the download button.

The RST Software is essentially a Pre-Configured MoTeC replacement, built with Sim Racers in mind. As an engineer I always found myself frustrated with the different telemetry options for sim racers. There are only two different solutions:

1) Basic telemetry applications that only shows raw data. While this is neat, you really need to prepare and display the data in a way that you can gain insights from to improve the car’s setup or your driving abilities.

2) MoTeC, while MoTeC is the industry standard and you can do very powerful things with it. You need to know what your doing, configuring your workspaces takes some time, and you need to know the math behind the typical signals that you’d want to display.

RST Software attempts to bridge these two solutions, RST Software collects data from the game, then runs the raw data through math signals typically used by engineers such as Roll & Pitch Gradients, Fourier Transforms, Traction Circles, Time Slip Graphs, etc. This way you don’t need to know the math you simply need to know how to interpret the graphs.

The program has around 75 graphs, while most graphs relate to the setup of the car, there is also a tab devoted purely to driver development.

To see all the features available in this tool as well as some setup theory check out the attached manual.
    RST Software User Manual.pdf

A few snapshots of our many graphs are shown below.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

alot of the values are more than wrong or simply zero.

tire pressure is at -1 to 1
    aero downforce is 0 for the most part and then goes into the 500s
    airdensity is 0 constantly.

oh, and checking usernames if someone is a developer is pretty ghetto too, might aswell just grab that from the serverreply which u already requested in the login func anyways

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  3. Zeraxx

PUBLIC RELEASE 1.1.6

New Features:
    1. Changed the scroll behavior of the graphs, you can now click or drag on the graphs and the cursor will snap to the mouses position.
    2. Changed the Car Params input behavior, if symmetric is selected, the "Right Hand" params will be disabled.
    3. Changed the Car Params tab order.

4. Craig Cottam

Craig Cottam New Member

How do we get the data out of AMS2 for RST to import?

EDIT: Sorted, need to set ASM2 to same settings as PC2 as shown on the manual.

And is it not possible to import the car parameters from AMS2 somehow?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Zeraxx

Not at this time, I know Reiza is still working on the game, maybe we can request the car setup as an option in the UDP ouput/shared memory. I know a lot of games like iRacing do this.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Craig Cottam

Craig Cottam New Member

Next question: When can we expect the Manual to be updated to include AMS2 setup? I've bought the license only to find I can't use the App properly because of missing data. Spring IR? Wheel Travel?

• Like Like x 1
  7. kodnin

kodnin Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Zeraxx, I'm considering buying RST Telemetry, but I was wondering. Why does it need a user account and internet access? Is that just to verify the license? Or is more data being sent to your servers? In short, my question could be rephrased to, what data is being sent from my computer to your servers?

8. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor TCLF AMS2 Club Member

Is there an update for the app to be updated with AMS2 as well? I can't look at the telemetry on my tablet now, which means I have to climb out of my rig and alt tab out of the game to look at telemetry. It's a first world problem, i know :p

9. Zeraxx

Great question, that is correct we are only using a server to handle licensing. No telemetry data is uploaded to our servers. After you sign into the app you could lose internet and the application would continue to run (except for the store which you would need a internet connection for).

10. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Zeraxx
    is there any opportunity for another payment?
    I don't have PayPal and I don't want to have / use it.
    Maybe via Steam or financial transaction?
    look here
    MoTeC Telemetry in AMS2
    I'm not the only one with this wish

11. Bealdor

Bealdor New Member

Hi Craig,
    I'm already working on another manual update but unfortunately real life is keeping me extremely busy right now. I'll try to finish it asap nonetheless.

Hi alink,
    If you purchase a license directly through the app, you can pay with credit card.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. kodnin

kodnin Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Zeraxx and @Bealdor, ran the app for two sessions yesterday. There's loads of information and I need to learn to interpret some parts of this. I think the manual comes in handy here. Some early feedback:

- First session was a test day and everything worked fine. Second was an online session and then it crashed my PC. Given I have spent over 100 hours with AMS 2, with a good 50 hours online without anything like this I think it's reasonable to assume the app might have had something to do with it.
    - Some menu items are in ALL CAPS, others are in regular Capitalization.
    - After clicking 'Open the dash' from the menu (What does it do?) the menu item disappears.
    - It feels a bit sluggish at times and I don't know how to zoom in and out vertically (sometimes data goes beyond the range of the graph).
    - The app could make heavy use of tool tips to help newcomers understand what they are looking at. Most of these technical terms are unknown to newcomers and they miss out on a lot of information.
    - Labels for x and y axes are sometimes not as readable as they could be. Contrast, font sizes and colors all come into play.
    - There's no confirmation when deleting a lap, it's just gone.
    - Saving a session has a `.lap` extension but saves a couple of laps I think? There's some inconsistency there.
    - Each time I start the app I have to reselect AMS 2.

So all in all a promising app, and I hope some of this early feedback is useful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. alink

Thanks, I did it and it's perfect.
    Additional to above, a zoom box would be good as well as a function for smoothing (ride high, suspension travel,..)
    Save/Export of a single lap and a better visual feedback, which lap is marked as base and which as comparison lap (in menu tree).
    Another thing, I had 5 sessions and saved it,
    After reopening only the 5th session was available. Session 1-4 were lost.

Another question: Which UDP frequenzy is recommended for a good data quality?
    Does this have an influence on PC-performance

14. alink

@Zeraxx
    something does not work in this sheet, no gears...
    in the line graphs, a vertical zoom would be good, or better a zoom box to zoom horizontal and vertical
    and if you could pan the grpahs with holding left or middle mouse...

Attached Files:

15. Bealdor

Bealdor New Member

@alink Did you set the correct gear ratios in the car parameters screen?
    Please double check by clicking on the car icon in the lap tree.

Regarding your UDP frequency question, we highly recommend to set it to 1 in-game. Lower frequencies can skew your data.

16. alink

Oh sorry, no I haven't set anything. I was so excited to have a telemetry that I forget it.
    How important are the settings, just to have correct values? Because the trace itself should be stay unchanged. It's a little bit difficult to fill in all data from setup when having only one monitor / device with both, AMS and RST

17. Craig Cottam

Craig Cottam New Member

Hear Hear!

18. Zeraxx

Hey guys sorry been mia a few days, been staying busy with development. Really appreciate all the feedback, we definitely plan to improve the user experience! Right now its just me and another part time developer, me being an engineer at heart I always want to add new ways to analyze data so I need to force myself to stop adding new graphs and to clean up the UX hahah! That being said we recently opened a GIT for users to put in feature requests and to report bugs. Be sure to check it out!

Issues · Zachary Etier / RST Software Bug and Feature Tracker · GitLab

• Like Like x 1
  19. alink

Hi Zeraxx,
    that sounds very good and I'm excited what will be developed. I'm also an engineer and very interessted in analysing data.
    But what I don't understand right now, why to set car setup values?
    I mean, there are (virtual) sensors which measure speed, travel, temps, and so on, and with the telemetry the values can be made visible in a chart, graph, table. The values itself should stay as they are and not manipulated by any other parameter. Only if there is a calculation for lifetime, good/bad status, or any other statement then it made sense to have more information about a specific parameter.
    Could you explain which influence the setup parameters have to the measured values, please?
    Thanks in advance

20. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Most of the Car parameter set up values are explained and their related functionality noted in the sections of the Users manual.