1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

X

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  2. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Pretty much. When it was introduced during the development of PC1, it was to allow support for newer/stronger CPU's while the main population were still on 2-core lower end CPU's. So the default was for the majority of the population on older/weaker CPU technology but the option to beef up the performance if you could. Probably today, defaulting to 2 doesn't make as much sense.

3. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

The two options I use with PCars 2 are:

-pthreads 4 -dx11mt

The default for dx11 was single threaded too. I'm amazed that they haven't set the defaults to this in AMS2 (if they haven't)

• Like Like x 1
  4. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

I think it's not the default because some people have only 4 cores and no hyperthreading. It would probably hurt performance on those machines. The only reason I even tried it is because I have 6 cores.

*EDIT* oops Mahjik beat me to it.

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

And we know what the default in the exe is how? I will try it now, but if many are reporting no difference, it may be because 4 is already the default. Testing will have to use 4 and 2 with the parameter rather than 4 and no parameter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

"-pthreads 4" I recall this setting too for PCars. I have 4 cores 8 threads and just made some tests using Logitech Gaming Software and it's Android apps on my phone (my usual way to find bottle-necked problems with games, great app). Launched a race until T1 (Rocco at Kyalami, 15 AIs). With or without I didn't notice any change on cpu threads repartition and usage, the 8 threads are well dispatched with more on the first core (80% for it, other threads below around 50/60%), and nothing felt also on FFB side...

Edit: it was in VR (headset on the side with something to trigger the proximity sensor, driving on the mirror view on monitor), and I noticed my GPU didn't raise more than 88%. Expected as I reach 90fps and got some headroom.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I really hope the devs can confirm or deny those launch settings...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

What happened when you tried it?

I feel no difference.

9. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I
    I have 12 cores so I could use -pthreads 12 ?

10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I did read on pCars forum that 4 is the max, but you can try it. Or set it to 4. I am so curious what Reiza advises.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The new FFB profile feels very good on the DD2. Much improved Reiza.. :cool:

It is lighter so I made adjustments in game and in driver which is a lot closer to what I use in other sims. I have been using a lot more Natural Damper (NDP) lately which has allowed me to drastically drop the LFB without receiving any FFB spikes/knocks i previously received. I now use 70% gain and 10% LFB.

Very happy now.. :D

• Like Like x 2
  12. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Is that for 0.8.4 or 0.8.7?

70% gain on a DD2 would make you think there isn't enough headroom for lower end wheels. Unless you have strength turned down in DD2 control panel?

13. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

After a few hours today i give up :( Its like i have too much front end feel and when the tyres leave the ground and rejoin the ground i get massive jolt through the wheel . I cant think of any other combo of settings that will remove this jolt ! Its a very unusual feel and no sim has given this feel before ! Almost like FFB gets reversed and i wish @Renato Simioni could test on a CSWv2 .
    Tested with Ultima race , Sprint race around Goianai , first corner pushing the car right to its limit (for me) .

15. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

What gain are you running?
    I think it might help to turn down gain and increase the ffb outside of the Sim itself, if you can do that?
    To me it seems gein is not just a "total force" adjustment, but targets exactly this road connection strength more the higher it gets.

What you describe was exactly my single biggest issue prior to 0.8.4, the V8 was crazy bad specially.
    Try the above mentioned gain adjustment, I could be wrong, just as I remember from tweaking last time.

To me now the single thing that would improve the most would be any fiber feedback from the rubber/road, as it deforms or something. It's the thing that only rf2 does currently compared to other sims. If that micro detail was added, I think I might be in ffb heaven 8)

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  16. 2ndLastJedi

I have on wheel FFB at 100 and tried gain, LFB and FX at so many different combos but just can't get it right.

17. Karsten Hvidberg

Have you tried something like:

Gain: 40
    Lfb: 10
    Fx: 50

Im sure you have, just trying to help in the odd case you have not 8)

• Like Like x 1
  18. 2ndLastJedi

I have :( sadly I don't think it's going to be right in its current firm!

19. Karsten Hvidberg

I will add that I think your description does exactly point to some fundamental issue in the ffb implementation.
    It was there for pc2 too and they even put in some "anti jolt" hack that remediated a corner case of this.

So even if it is better on 0.8.4 there is still much work to be done on it, I think, if reiza wants it to be going to the next level, which luckily does seem possible.
    Maybe sms is also fixing for pc3 and that code will trickle down?

On guapore in mcs 2000(p4), it feels like driving/jumping between many rocks because of this.
    On other cars it does this semi-jolting, where it just seems to "super connect" to the road in a way I don't think would happen irl, except maybe for breaking hard right up to the limit and turning.
    Problem is that here it feels like that when just driving and turning, no breaking involved.
    Super connected issue... This should be fixable without fundamental changes too, since it's mostly on the road cars, except for the Ultima gtr road. Also not present on formula cars.

A last suggestion, try the same settings as above but go even lower in the gain. Maybe down to 10 or 20. Would be interesting to know if lowering gain "helps" this in any way at all.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 2ndLastJedi

I really hope @Renato Simioni feels this and has something to combat this issue.
    With gain at 30 the wheel is already really light but I can still feel the problem.
    I was so super keen for this update but now totally lost.

• Like Like x 1