1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Gameplay

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Aaron Green, May 3, 2020.

1. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'll get the ball rolling!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Aaron Green

Formula V12 Austria

• Like Like x 3
  3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

@Aaron Green
    How are you capturing your gameplay in VR? If I set OBS to use the actual game window, part of the view and half the HUD is cut off. If I use the Oculus mirror instead, I get the full view but the HUD is fixed and impossible for the viewer to see properly. Your view also appears to be significantly farther back from the steering wheel than mine in either case.

4. Aaron Green

You alright Ross, I'm literally just capturing it using ShadowPlay/Nvidia capture. I'm not altering anything at all as that's above my pay grade. Just when I'm in game I press my record hot keys and let SP/NvD do the rest. And again all I'm doing view wise is lining my head up with my body in game. Sorry I can't be of much more help than that! :confused:

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Heh, no worries mate. :) What resolution is your monitor, by the way?

6. Aaron Green

MSI 31.5" 165hz 1080p, but when i export it in Premiere its showing up as 1440p. Whether thats because ages ago I watched a video with tips on how is best to export to Youtube, i just followed the guys step by step guidance, so it must be upscaling...or something. But in regards to Shadowplay I have it so it uses the in game resolution...which i've been using 1920x1080. Hope that helps?

7. Aaron Green

Online SuperKart random weather race...

• Like Like x 1
  8. blanes

blanes Member

Nice Aaron ! What headset do you have ? Mine is Rift S ... cannot race without it :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Umm... no, not really! :p Since the HUD is fixed in place in your videos, I assumed Shadowplay is capturing your monitor output. Because you can see the whole HUD without anything missing, I assumed you must have a nice big monitor running a ridiculous resolution... yet while your monitor is far better than mine, it's running the same res. :confused:

So yeah, I'm confused. I was going to give up and settle for the Oculus mirror as my source, but as well as the HUD being unreadable to the viewer I noticed another problem. When ASW kicks in you can see visual artefacts. It's not something that bothers me when driving because I don't even notice them, but in a video you certainly do.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Aaron Green

Right, I'll check later on this evening mate. I set all my stuff up when the first betas ran and haven't really fiddled with much since. I'll get you a definitive answer this evening... And hope that helps :D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Aaron Green

Yes mate, same. They aren't that much of a step up from the first consumer model but it's something! I can't wait till it looks like what we see on the replays, but inside our headsets. When we have the computing power to have that kind of resolution will be a glorious time for motoracing gaming. Roll on the year 2033 and Automobilista 9 :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. blanes

blanes Member

Yeah but I'll be too old to even tie my shoelaces by then ... :eek:

13. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yeah, I'm also confused as to how he's getting the full VR HUD to show up on the monitor, using ShadowPlay, a Rift S and a 1080p monitor.
    I have the same three things, and haven't been able to have the full VR HUD show up on the desktop monitor, since I got my Rift S a year ago, in Project CARS 2 and now in AMS2. :confused:

14. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I got it working by adjusting the position of the HUD elements according to where I want them on the monitor output and then adjusting the VR HUD using the HUD settings entry in oculussettings.xml

ETA: Screenshot of monitor output whilst in VR:
    upload_2020-5-6_13-58-18.png
    I have my desktop window set to 1080p and can capture that in OBS with full HUD.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

That doesn't work for me. When using 1080 res on my monitor and in VR, the view is cut off and some of the elements are off the screen. While the HUD editor on the monitor shows "boxes" to represent widget positions, it is impossible to "grab" the elements that are off-screen with the mouse and therefore impossible to move them anywhere.

The only way I can successfully adjust the HUD at all is to force my monitor to run the same res as my headset (2560×1440), thereby making all widgets visible on my monitor. Doing this also allows me to record gameplay with a fixed HUD, but forcing my monitor to run a resolution it does not support to accomplish this is not really very helpful, not to mention that it makes reading text and using OBS very difficult.

The HUD editor not working correctly in VR is something I reported two patches ago, but I was apparently ignored.

16. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

This is what I get with the HUD editor on my monitor. I can only actively select and move widgets by clicking them, not by clicking on the outline boxes. (As you can see, the entire HUD is shifted down and right on my monitor view.)

AMS2HUDED.png

17. NuScorpii

I tired running my window output at 720p and I can see what you mean.

It is still possible though as the absolute position of the HUD elements is preserved when you change resolution. So run your window output at 2560x1440. Drag the widgets you want up to the top left corner. Change res back to 1080p and restart. Now go back to the HUD editor and click on the widgets and move them to where you want them.

ETA: Just to prove you can do that here is a window running at 720p whilst in VR with the bottom right widget visible:
    upload_2020-5-6_15-3-16.png

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Nope, that still doesn't work for me. The HUD layout area is still at my VR res, not my monitor res, which means the HUD element and mouse movement are not 1:1. In other words, I can't get widgets to the bottom or right of the screen.

19. NuScorpii

It doesn't work on the map widget but it does on all the others. Try it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I really appreciate all the help, but I think I'm going to give up on this for now. All this jumping through hoops just to get a decent first-person recording is more effort than it's worth I think. :p I'll just record the Oculus mirror, faults and all, for now.

Reiza will hopefully get around to fixing this issue with the monitor view in VR, and with the HUD editor, at some point.

Also, my apologies to Aaron for hijacking your thread! I'll try and post some vids soon to make up for it. :oops:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1