1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gearshift Debounce option?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MasterLooser, Apr 1, 2020.

1. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

hey everyone,
    i currently have an issue where i downshift normally but the game would downshift 2 or sometimes even 3 gears in one click.
    other games have some sort of a delay value that is adjustable to not shift more than once in a set timeframe, is there a similiar option in a cfg here too?
    in live for speed the option is called "gearshift debounce"
    heres an example/explaination: LFS Forum - Gearshift debounce
    its nearly unplayable when u always shift from 3rd into first XD

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rabih Hawwa

Rabih Hawwa New Member

I have a similar problem and can't find the option. :/

3. Raphael Camelo

Raphael Camelo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have this same problem, is Reiza already aware of this bug?

4. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

the same to me, especially when upshifting.
    What is really annoying is that when downshifting you can shift into neutral. In AMS1 this didn't happen. To switch into neutral you had to use another button so it was protected not to reach neutral when racing. I hope that this function finds a way back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

In what car? I spend most of time at the moment in the F V12 and I can't get neutral unless I stop.

6. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

if I'm correct then it doesn't matter. Yesterday I had the problems with classic G1 and vintage

7. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

This isn't a game bug. Debouncing of switches is very common and is something that should be (and usually is) taken care of in the hardware drivers once rather than every game. Debouncing algorithms can get quite complex as the type of contact bouncing is unique to different types of switch hardware. If you have problems like this then the first point of call should be the hardware manufacturer.

8. Raphael Camelo

I'm using the G27, and obviously to reach that conclusion I did tests on Logitech Profiler and other simulators, so, yes it is a bug.

9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you use paddles for cars with manual gearbox? Otherwise you shouldn't be able to select neutral before halt.

10. NuScorpii

Yes, with your G27, as it is telling the game to do multiple gear shifts when it shouldn't be. It is probably because the springs in the micro-switches are getting old and weak so contact bouncing happens for longer than expected. The problem with dealing with that kind of issue is that you will start to reject genuine double clicks to change down multiple gears quickly.

What you are requesting is a new feature to circumvent defective hardware which is fine, just don't call it a bug when it's defective hardware.

11. Raphael Camelo

What part of "logitech profiler testing" did you miss? If it were a hardware problem, a double click would appear during the tests.

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

That is how it should be in the sequential transmission this car is equipped with. You also won't be able to select R unless you are stopped.

13. NuScorpii

So what do you mean exactly by that? Did you just watch for a button changing colour and think because it looked solid you were fine? AMS2 is not creating phantom clicks by itself. Do you even understand what debouncing is and why all switches need debouncing? This is something for a driver, not an application.

14. Marc Collins

15. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

The isiMotor engine always had options for debounce. Mainly, it was created during a time when sim hardware was not made with a lot of quality so adding in options to handle that variance was needed. While the Madness engine started from isiMotor, they didn't seem to keep that capability. This was something that was asked during the PC1/PC2 development. I do know that SMS did something internally to increase it as some people were asking, but they never exposed it as a configuration item.

16. Marc Collins

You are both right! Although it is 100% a hardware issue (I know, used to own Logi G equipment), some sims have a modifiable variable to help people with lower-quality equipment manage until it breaks completely. Yes, if you set that variable too high to compensate for really bad equipment, you risk debilitating intended fast shifts. But, since Logi refuses to address the issue in their control panel, and, since their wheels are so prevalent and popular, many sims have added the variable to keep Logi people happy and prevent them having to buy new hardware just to play the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Raphael Camelo

I already realized that discussing this with you is a waste of time, I didn’t draw this conclusion before checking if it wouldn’t be a hardware problem, I even have friends with new equipment and having the same bug in their simulators, so I verified that it hasn’t yet was notified in the bug topic, I will do that instead of wasting my time with you.

18. NuScorpii

Yeah, my main issue was with him calling it a game bug.

19. NuScorpii

Don't waste your time googling either and finding out it is a common issue with Logitech wheels and finding out how to work around it with the profiler:
    Eliminating double-shifts (and more) with Logitech wheels

But you know, waste of time, so don't follow the link.

20. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I know, which is why I pointed that out in response to:
    It's worth knowing what car that happens with since it could be a bug. It's not game-wide as the F V12 blocks neutral is it should, as does the trainer which I was messing with earlier. Given that I can't ever remember hitting neutral by accident at all so far in AMS 2, I'm thinking it probably works correctly for most other cars too.