1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti aliasing

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Nov 22, 2019.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

From what I got out of Reiza buying Madness was they got the source code, good and bad and can do with it as they see fit!

It's their engine now and they can spend the rest of their lives developing it into whatever they want from what I gather but I feel SMS will have the rights to whatever it becomes in the end or something like that, IB is no fool when it comes to business so I'm sure he left the door open for whatever Reiza can do with Madness to benifit himself.

Back in the day I had this same AA discussion with IB and he was confident he had a solution thet he was "going" to implement in pC2 as it developed! We all know what happened with pC2 development! I only hope Reiza have more drive to fix the major issues of the engine and AMS 2 becomes the go to for even big motorsports simulation, surely that's a big goal of Reiza's, to dethrone rf Pro ;)

I only push because I care.

2. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

From what I understood Reiza got the Madness engine "as is" at the end of PC2 development and can do whatever they want with it. SMS has been developing it since that for whatever they're going to do with it. And for why SMS didn't support it for longer comes down to having a publisher and their arrangement for all the consoles that cost money each time a new patch is introduced. AMS2 development will be much freer without the console hassle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If Reiza can use this Madness Engine to the fullest then the possibilities are endless. Madness is a real good engine. Performance, physics, graphics, etc it has it all. In the hands of a talented studio it can achieve great deeds.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

Headlights shine on car in front still really distracting . Not so visual in still image but in motion its awful :eek: 20200509144105_1.jpg

5. Baku

Baku Member

I would like to add that AMS2 VR experience is great overall. The sharpness slider (or whatever they will call it) must be added to the menus because right now the only way to achieve good amount of sharpness is by manually editing the vr configuration file. But the shadows... It is the worst visual component of this sim experience. Being able to run the game in VR with a proper PC with great visuals and getting those disturbing trees shadows (especially on the lower angle morning/evening sun) and other shimering parts is so distracting. Please FIX it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I agree entirely. I'm absolutely not a graphics junky and am perfectly happy with standards that have others up in arms these days. However, even I find the horribly pixelated shadows a real eye-sore. The fact that everything else looks so good just exemplifies the problem!

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Madonion

Madonion Member

i drive in VR .

i noticed if i select the game standard game i can select MSAA low and SS on. in VR only MSAA on high is available?

Can live with it it's just the shadows that look shimmering.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Baku

Baku Member

@Madonion I compared MSAA high and med with RiftS, but could not see much of a difference in terms of visual benefits with SS 1.2 applied. Therefore ATM it might be a better balance to combine the MSAA med with some SS.

• Like Like x 1
  9. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Currently in VR I don't use any SS (I keep default 1.0), SharpeningStrengh is at 2,9, and MSAA at Medium. I'm pretty happy with image quality and sharpness and can keep my 90fps 99% of the time. Shadow at low is OK, but the trees shimmering shadows bother me too...

10. Baku

Baku Member

@YoLolo69 there are no details on your system, you might like to edit your signature to let us know the specs.
    In fact, shadows are pain in the ... eyes. So I am running shadows on ultra to try to cover the aliasing. It is not much of a solution ATM, but hey, we are in EA (hopefully fix work is ongoing).

11. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I have a signature with my machine specs. Do you mean no one can't see it? I see it with all my post...
    Mmmm shadow ultra is not an option, too much fps killer...

12. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I only have problems with shadows if i use the MSAA, so i disabled it and use the Post AA SMAA high setting, that delivers good shadows

13. Baku

Baku Member

I can see the specs now on desktop. I seems that the signatures are hidden on the mobile.
    Shadows on ultra runs pretty well on 1080Ti. What is your "Environment map" setting?

14. 2ndLastJedi

Turn your mobile to landscape to see sig's ;)

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Environment map at Medium, Here my current settings which I keep 90fps in VR 99% of the time (15 AIs light clouds) with my GTX1080 no more OC (it was overheated):

Performance Settings
    Resolution:
    1920x1080 60Hz (no fps impact whatever I chose)
    Windowed: No
    Texture Resolution: High
    Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 16x (or Trilinear, can't really see difference in VR)
    V-Sync: No
    MSAA: Medium (remove flickering of high "SharpeningStrengh")
    Post AA: Off
    Supersampling: Off
    Reflections: Medium
    Environment Map: Medium
    Car Detail: Low (no visual difference for my car)
    Track Detail: Low
    Pit Crew Detail: All
    Shadow Detail: Low
    Enhanced Mirror: Yes
    Motion Blur: Off
    Render Frames Ahead: 1
    Detailed Grass: Off
    Particle Level: High
    Particle Density: High

Visual FX Settings
    Post-Processing Filters:
    On
    Exterior Sun Flare: Full
    Interior Sun Flare: Subtle
    Bloom: On
    Heat Haze: Off
    Exposure Compensation: 1.00
    Rain Drops: Yes
    Vignette: No
    Crepuscular Rays: Yes
    Screen Dirt: No
    Cockpit Mirrors: On

Virtual Reality Settings
    Gaze Control:
    Off
    Super Sampling: 1.0
    Recenter View on Boot: Off
    Recenter View at Race Start: Off
    Camera Near Clip Plane: 0.07

graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml (My Documents/Automobilista 2)
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="2.900000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />
    <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />

When playing 2D monitor 1920x1080 all is at maximum settings, 60fps stable.

16. Baku

Baku Member

Try :
    Environment Map: Low
    Enhanced Mirror: no
    Particle Level: low
    Particle Density: low

not much of a visual difference, but better performance

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Baku

Baku Member

Works like a charm :) Thx

18. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I think there are a couple of fairly trivial fixes that Reiza could apply to make the aliasing issues better, if they aren't already looking at something like this.

1) PCF - This is one of the basic techniques for shadow anti-aliasing and producing soft-ish shadows. Should go a long way to solving some of the issues by using 4 sample dithered PCF. However I don't think this will solve all the issues such as single line shadows at distance on the track.

2) Blurring 14.3.2 - Blurring can be applied to the shadows before being applied to the scene, and can be applied selectively to parts of the world. I think the biggest issue is with shadows from trees cast over the track at early and late times. It's the flickering in and out of the shadows per pixel that causes this. A pixel mapped on to the track at any reasonable distance covers a lot of ground area, so the shadow algorithm when sampling a single point in that area sometimes sees shadow, sometimes doesn't, hence the flickering. By blurring the shadows in screen space that apply to the track only we could gain a huge perceived quality increase with virtually no performance penalty.

3) There are also some issues with the lighting side mostly seen at night on edges of wings in headlights. The problem here is the specular highlights and again there are some fairly simple workarounds that can be applied:
    Specular Showdown in the Wild West - Self Shadow
    With a very cool demo showing exactly the problem and solution (Enable Toksvig AA and/or Map):
    Shader Sandbox

ETA more recent demo and paper:
    A more recent example of specular AA including support for deferred shading:
    Shader Sandbox

Filtering Distributions of Normals for Shading Antialiasing | Research

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. 2ndLastJedi

@Heitor Facuri Cicoti Hey mate , post #138 sounds interesting ! Could you point this to whoever is concerned please ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Baku

Baku Member

@NuScorpii #138 sounds promising. Hopefully, Reiza are working on it... and listening...

• Like Like x 1