1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 is amazing but it needs something to set it apart!?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Madonion, May 8, 2020.

1. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My thoughts in BOLD

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In order to make progress and have a product that sets itself apart from the competition, one must dare to create a product that emphasizes a few unique aspects and polishes them to near perfection, at the cost of disappointing and alienating some of your potential user base. Although not entirely true, there still is advice in the saying «Try to please everyone and you end up pleasing no one.»

RaceRoom which was mentioned in the original post has a lot of unique European tracks and engine sounds that raised the bar for games that came out after it. ACC has focused on GT3 and doesn't really try to be anything else, and it certainly doesn't try to be Forza in terms of broad appeal. RBR had great rally physics but not the bells and whistles of the Colin McRae / Dirt series. GPL had 1970-ish F1 cars and tracks. TOCA had the racing career. BeamNG has crash physics. AMS1 has unique Brazilian tracks, hi-fi force feedback, good AI, historic and weird cars, but not so much the popular car and track selections and league racing of its contemporary competitors.

There is a delicate balance between adding popular features and adding unique features. I'm not claiming that I have a good answer to where that balance should be. I tend to like cars and tracks with character, but I've also been sim racing long enough to know that such car/track combos don't get enough interest in online racing lobbies. I like cars and tracks that let me learn something new, but that can be frustrating after a while, so I also want to have content that lets me return to something that feels familiar to me whenever I just want to have fun.

My best advice to Reiza: Don't try to please everyone. Focus on adding and polishing features that you like, so that your love and enthusiasm is shown in the product. You can of course ask us in the community for feedback, but never stop working on the stuff that you're passionate about, and also don't be afraid to scrap ideas/features that are not unique enough or that makes AMS2 lose character.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  3. Obizzz

Obizzz Member

Very good point.

4. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

I agree very much about the tracks. After having actually now tried them all...Wow. They really are superb, not just driving wise, but the modelling too.

They look fantastic, and I love how 'open' a lot of them are (Maybe just before release?) as you can drive off track to some pretty cool places!

Anyway, back on track (Poor pun I know), I think the tracks alone set AMS2 apart greatly, but of course the 'end drive' will need to be up there. For me, some cars still need a lot of work but fingers crossed the guys will continue working hard to polish things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would like real ovals a skidpad and Motec support

• Like Like x 2
  6. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

i think it already has alot to set it apart, you dont find 90% of the cars in other games and also the brazilian circuits are nowhere to be found.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Jonathan Spencer

Jonathan Spencer New Member

I think it has plenty to set it apart! Its full of style and unique personality if you ask me. The cars and the tracks are the stars here. There's something very engaging and visceral to it's driving model. It's hard to explain , but it feels exciting to drive these cars. Love the tracks , the old cars are sexy as heck with their liveries - evocative of time and place. The challenge in driving some of these cars is very rewarding when it clicks. Always had a problem with the V8 Supercar but recently learnt how to drive that thing, and now it's v rewarding to feel I can push it more.
    There's plenty to set it apart from the generic content in most other Sims.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 already have some really unique content. That is enough to set it apart from the competitors as I think the content is really different enough to warrant a purchase.

I hope there will be more brazillian content on the way with a bit of the more common content like Spa, GT3 and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Some of the textures could be improved on the tracks, at this stage compared to ACC some tracks are looking a bit plain as well. Others do look good as well but they could still all do with some improvements but I think that will come.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I think on the roadmaps Reiza said most of the tracks actually are just converted from AMS1 (i assume as quickly as possible) and will receive better objects,textures,animations,billboards etc. same as liveries, just upscaled existing ones for now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TekNeil

They look great to me at this stage, I'm probably mainly happy with seeing new places, new structures etc as I'm not overly familiar with most of the tracks.
    Regards ACC, I deleted that soon after installing it lol. Great sounds, nothing else did it for me.

12. Stepy

Stepy Member

Your missing out on a great sim then...

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. TekNeil

Nah, I'm not a fan :) The audio is great I'll give it that.

14. Stepy

Stepy Member

Fair enough.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Madonion

Madonion Member

Now that the game has been out and the online lobbies aren't as full as we hoped what do you guys think? i still believe it's the best sim as it feels amazing to drive. Iracing's online would be cool or something close to it?

16. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Yes,

IMHO Reiza should copy the things that work well from iskating. Could start with just 1 series, free of charge, payments and more series could come soonish after. Requires some ratings similar to ice. Also would benefit from a simple web portal access point for stats and series info.
    I don't think there's a future for a Sim for hotlapping, so if I was reiza I would put ALL my efforts right there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

I am super thankful for having a sim where i can race with a friend (or a couple) and fill the gaps with ai drivers and for how easy it is to actually create a race.

But i do think that for higher player numbers you would need a system where you can reliably hop into a race on a daily basis, like in AC or GT Sport if you want to build an online community.

Maybe this gap could also be filled by the community by hosting more dedicated servers with scheduled races after the implementation of a driver rating system?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

19. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Renato already was hinting at something like this. He also said it is pending on the release of the rating system.

• Like Like x 2
  20. GustavoFoster

GustavoFoster New Member

Just imagine what AMS 2 would actually be like.
    Let's see how bad a simple system change to RTX would be without it. even in minecraft techupnew is better than it

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022