1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

@museumsteve @Rasmus Juel Andersen @Michael Jeffries Your 3 SteamVR Guys seems to have some pretty decent machines. My first suggestion could be to not touch the SS setings in VR menu (it seems to do nothing actually in all case) and to keep SteamVR setting SS at 100%. This is a real FPS killer. To sharpen your image use the XML trick in Documents\Automobilista 2\graphicconfigopenvrdx11.xml instead which have nearly no fps cost. At nearly the bottom change value SharpeningStrengh from 0 (no effect) to 2.999999 at max (mine is 2.900000).

What cost the most in Performance menu seems to be: MSAA, Reflections, Environment Map, Shadows. I suggest to put all that on Low and check if you have your native FPS (depending your headset, mine is 90fps) and to check, if you have the tool to proceed (I use an OculusDebugtool) if you have headroom to raise those costly settings.

Here my current settings where I can keep my native 90fps nearly all the time. Could be a base for your Ninja machines and you just have to raise some of them:

Performance Settings
    Resolution:
    1920x1080 60Hz
    Windowed: No
    Texture Resolution: High
    Texture Filtering: Trilinear (you can probably raise this)
    V-Sync: No
    MSAA: medium (heavy on fps, I suggest to keep it at medium)
    Post AA: off
    Supersampling: Off
    Reflections: Medium
    Environment Map: Medium
    Car Detail: Low (my car is not impacted, you can probably raise this)
    Track Detail: Low (you can probably raise this)
    Pit Crew Detail: All
    Shadow Detail: Low (you can probably raise this to medium at least)
    Enhanced Mirror: Yes
    Motion Blur: Off (your taste, I don't do Blur)
    Render Frames Ahead: 1
    Detailed Grass: Off (I don't like Grass, you can probably raise this)
    Particle Level: High
    Particle Density: High

That's a start. You can also go back on first page of this thread and read all, it's instructive ;)

Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries New Member

Do you know which settings, if any, can be changed and seen by pausing the game, while still in the car?

3. museumsteve

museumsteve New Member AMS2 Club Member

Thankyou for taking the time to post this. I'll be on it this afternoon and will update with how I get on.

4. Michael Jeffries

You and I got very close specs and we're both using the Index. Let me know what you find out please. I was playing with SS values in SteamVR and upped it as high as 200% at one point and it looked decent, but it just felt like the textures themselves were bland.

• Like Like x 1
  5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

Unfortunately from my experience you cannot trust the Sim when it don't ask to relaunch the game after a change in Performance menu. So if you want to see changes here I strongly recommend to exit and relaunch. Painful but needed for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

As I said, the visual result by playing with Oculus SS (like your in SteamVR), comparing to the SharpeningStrengh in the XML file look exactly the same on my machine. The xML one eat nearly no FPS where the Oculus SS (or SteamVR one) kill it (more or less 30fps versus 90fps). So it's up to you to test both and see what you prefer...

7. JPC

JPC New Member

How do I fix the shimmer/transparency in VR? Some of the graphics, especially Shadows almost make me feel like I'm cross-eyed or something. I don't see this kind of thing in iRacing so I assume there is a way to fix it. I tried with Shadows on max settings and high SS and couldn't get it fixed.

8. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For VR the screen mirror should at least 1080p to position the HUD elements also in VR exactly.

And it's possible to move and turn the HUD in VR (this was already in PC2):

On track pause the game and choose 'Edit HUD layout':
    The HUD adjustment runs in one of two modes - movement and rotation / scale. Num-Pad 0 toggles between these modes.

In movement mode the controls are as follows (numpad)
    4 & 6: move left and right
    1 & 3: move left and right slowly
    8 & 2: move up and down
    7 & 9: move up and down slowly
    + & -: move back and forth
    / & *: move back and forth slowly
    5: resets position to the default

In rotation / scale mode the controls are as follows (numpad)
    4 & 6: rotate left and right
    8 & 2: rotate up and down
    1 & 3: rotate anti-clockwise / clockwise
    + & -: scale the HUD bigger and smaller
    / & *: scale the HUD bigger and smaller slowly
    5: resets rotation and scale to the default

For example my preferred view with a Valve Index is:
    openvrsettings.xml
    <prop name="HUDSettings" offSetX="0.003683" offSetY="-0.004749" offSetZ="-0.374971" scale="0.433146" rotateX="0.000000" rotateY="0.000000" rotateZ="0.000000" rotateW="1.000000" />
    It's easy to remove the rotation in the settings file so you have only to deal with the size and the position in front of you but you don't need to edit the file at all.

EDIT: #VRHUDPosition

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Unfortunately this is the current situation with the Madness engine. Reiza have hinted that they are working on some potential fixes so hopefully this will be something that will be solved soon.

10. Michael Jeffries

When you mention it's easy to remove the rotation in the settings file so you only have to deal with the size... if you dont have to edit the file, how do you remove the rotation then? Sorry maybe I'm misreading your comment at the end. I do see you put Rotatex,y, and z at 0.000000 so does this stop the HUD from rotating with the head movement - is that what you're referring to?

11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

No. Setting the rotation values to 0 in that file means the HUD will not longer be rotated. In other words, it will not be slanted away from you as it is by default in VR. The HUD will be flat and vertical, which is a much better base for moving the HUD elements and resizing it.

12. Michael Jeffries

ahhhh ok i get it - sorry i havent tried since that update, so I wanted to make sure i know what that is. Thank you

13. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

No need to apologise mate. There's no such thing as a stupid question. It's how we learn. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Goffik already answered the question about the rotation, it's easier to set it in the file at 0 as you don't really get it to 0 if you use the ingame numpad-tool (you will at the end have something like 0.0013423 in the file).

As some people don't feel comfortable to edit files I mentioned you don't have to edit something and could use only the ingame tool (numpad).

15. Michael Jeffries

Yup i got it now. Thanks!

16. ZeferinoCoutinho

ZeferinoCoutinho Zef_mirror_man-zefthebestofcour

Just a simple question guys...

What does this variable (on xml graphic settings file) - MirrorEnabled" mirrorenabled="1" /> actually affects? What is it for?

17. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

It's not a VR specific setting, these are in the standard dx11 xml too:
    <prop name="MirrorEnabled" mirrorenabled="1" />
    <prop name="MirrorEnhanced" mirrorenhanced="1" />

They are in the in game menu too. Only mirror enhanced is in the menu. Also not related to the "cockpit mirrors" in the other menu.

At a guess they control if the mirror is 3d and moves with your position and what effects are applied to the mirror. Nope, does nothing.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Lol, oops, right you are. :p

19. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It took me a while to figure it out but setting Enhanced Mirror to ON gives you Dynamic Mirrors in VR.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Thanks, I did a quick test a while back and didn't immediately notice anything. Turned them off again thinking it might just add shadows and extra detail. Guess I'll turn them on again.

• Like Like x 1