1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

What do you mean by dynamic mirrors?

2. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mirrors are relative to your head position, so move your head and the mirror angle changes. With it OFF the mirrors are "fixed".

3. NuScorpii

Just checked and I have both MirrorEnabled and MirrorEnhanced set to 0 in my graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml. Enhanced Mirror is set to off in the settings in game, and the "reflection" in the mirrors is still moving relative to my head position.

In PCars2 the sidebar description is just that Enhanced Mirror gives higher detail.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Perhaps it changed in an update then, not checked it recently.

5. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I confirm you can see as far as possible in the mirror enhanced. Without it clip not that far. And in all case they follow your eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Does anyone have any issues with losing mouse control? Sometimes it all works fine, but sometimes the mouse gets "stuck" in the upper left corner of my second monitor so I cant manipulate any of the windows. I wish I could just use my hand controllers or something, but if I can get into a car, it always seems to work fine.

Edit: Seems like I may be setting down the headset outside of my "play space" which is upsetting something somewhere. Anyone else experienced this? Im sure it's not the game, but it's some combination of WMR and SteamVR causing issues. (Odyssey+ headset, which, honestly, I dont have much to compare it to but I think it looks fantastic, for what it's worth...)

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  7. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Things you can’t ‘unsee’ once seen:

I only noticed recently whilst driving at Adelaide 88, where the trees are in close proximity to you, that they’re a one-sided flat and rotational element.

I guess this is to aid performance, and you don’t notice this playing in 2D, but it looks really weird driving past these in VR, as they rotate to always be facing you. o_O
    Try it. Go to Adelaide, and drive slowly through the first two sectors, looking at the trees as you pass them.
    Maybe making them two-elements in a crossed pattern, without rotation would look better?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NuScorpii

I noticed this at Imola Historic. The trees overhang the track in a few places so it is really obvious. PCars2 had slightly more "fleshed out" trees that were made up of multiple 2d parts. However those parts would rotate on their centre point as you went past. Also quite strange.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Turn off gaze control in the VR menu. It kicks in even when AMS 2 is out of focus, and that's when you lose control of your mouse pointer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

You only just noticed this? All the trees are like this. Personally, I'm fine with it. Cross Trees?.. Oh please NO, they look positively awful!!!!

11. Sami Viljanen

Sami Viljanen New Member

I bought Automobilista 2 today and spend some time adjusting graphics settings. I have to say i am very impressed as settings were good 90 FPS even from start and they also look good even now as i have been monitoring FPS and trying few things mentioned here in topic. I have changed via XML sharpness filter and so far i still have SS set in SteamVR to 1.0 but i want to try how it affects if i change it to 1.2 and more.

I am curious to know generally how much affect for FPS there is if you are racing AI and Multiplayer?

12. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I gotta say, I was practicing at Adelaide, and I noticed a random spectator behind the pits watching me go past. It was pretty neat. Makes up for the weird trees. I imagine that was a compromise to work on lower tier hardware that is prevalent in their home market. The game looks astonishingly good anyway. Im good with the trees.

13. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The trees give a huge performance boost in VR and reduce the LoD pop in of the 3D trees from PC2. So this is really helpful and I have no low tier HW. Even with this optimisation e.g. Kyalamy needs a lot of power and on the start-finish-line I can't hold 90 fps (frametime over 12 ms). Only on one very short corner before we can look over the whole valley the fps is stable at 90 fps (frametime around 9 ms).

14. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hmmm, I have strong hardware and get permanent fluid 90 FPS, BUT my frametime is much higher (around 30 ms), which is bad, right?
    Why is that? Should I try to reduce the frametime or doesn't it matter? And if yes, how (reduce graphics settings?)?
    I always thought it's only important to get 90 FPS (instead of 45 FPS) with my Rift. Never cared about frametime. Maybe I should?

15. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For 90 fps the frametime has always to stay below 11.1 ms if you go over this limit first the fps drops to around 80 and then snap to 45 (in the HMD you remain at 90 but in reality you get only each 2nd frame). Even for stable 45 fps the frametime has to stay below 22.2 ms.

I tried also to get the lovely 120 Hz of the Index but I had no change to hold it below 8.3 ms frametime. So I try in all games like AMS 2, Dirt Rally 2, RaceRoom to dial in the settings to achieve 90% of time a frametime below 11 ms.

16. Mike1304

There must be something wrong then or I'm looking at the wrong figures!
    With my 90 FPS and 30 ms the picture is super fluid. I know it from other games how it looks/feels when framerate drops to 45 FPS (like in Assetto Corsa Competizione for example) and I get only each 2nd frame. In AMS2 this is definitely not the case.
    I just tried it and reduced all graphics settings from hight to low and SS to 1.0 and still my frametime is between 20 and 30.
    But maybe I look at the wrong figures? I activated the Oculus Tray Tool, chose the "performance"-monitor and looked at the first number called "Motion to Photon Latency", which is the only value in "ms" (miliseconds)... Is this the frametime you mentioned? If yes, why is it so high on my computer even with low graphics setitng then?
    Any ideas what's wrong on my side?
    Thank you!

17. NuScorpii

Motion to Photon latency is the latency between movement and any displayed image whether that is being rendered by the game or a reprojection from ASW. What you want to see is the Performance HUD with App Render Timing mode. You can get this using the Oculus Debug Tool:

upload_2020-5-22_10-24-1.png

Usually in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics

This will give you the application frame rate and gpu frame time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

In OculusDebugTool the Performance HUD always give the good FPS, so it will display 45 if it use the ASW mode when creating a "fake" image in between to fill the 90fps. 45 FPS work pretty well in AMS2, even if I do everything to keep my 90fps. My machine is far from powerful but I can maintain 90fps nearly all the time (but few seconds when starting a race). You should avoid any kind of Supersampling (through VR menu, through OculusDebugTools or the OTT tool, or through SteamVR) to keep your fps. To sharpen your image just use the SharpeningStrengh trick in the xml file. Work well and cost nearly nothing. Just my 2c ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mike1304

Thank you! Will try it...
    So Oculus Tray Tool doesn’t have this info?
    Is the debug tool better than OTT?

20. NuScorpii

I don't use OTT as prefer to do my settings manually. Not sure if the option is available in OTT.

• Like Like x 1