1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Yes, the new 9.3 default with front scrub. This is on DD1 so i didnt raise the scale that much, if you dont feel it just edit the scrub scale its up top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey @Shadak & @Marc Collins ,

To me that file contains the "bug" from Reiza: The LFB applied to the steering rack output, which makes the center of the wheel a "special place" & not in a good way.
    * Fake noise in center, which is not there the second you turn just a few degrees, making it feel weird every time I turn.
    * Fake pull towards the center. Crossing the center of the wheel on a straight road feels like crossing a line in the wheel. Also it feels more springy & with no road noise outside center, to me it feels like a rubber band pulling.

This can be car dependent, I am sure.
    But I would at least also add the LFB rack rate fix from @NuScorpii.
    I am sure some people actually prefer it as you have it, so I'm curious what you think, as to me it's simply a big bug from Reiza right now.

Attached your file here with only that added, in case you want to feel the difference directly to only that thing added.

(You can change the value that is now 0.4 in there. 1.0 would be the same as you have now.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Reg new ffb:

There seems to be no real big change & to me the LFB center issue & missing scrubbing in default is disappointment, I must admit.
    The center wheel LFB issue worries me, since it means Reiza is now adjusting the FFB based on a really bad concept. Hopefully they read this & either correct me or fix it :)

For others that like additional ffb custom file fun:

Made some quick changes that seem to work well for me:
    * A little less scrub on both front & rear, since they are quite powerful when happening at the same time.
    * Slightly softer road feel, less spikey/fewer stones.
    * An extra layer of road to just advance that slightly. Yes, I like to feel I'm driving on a road.

I've not had much time to tune the values, so I turned down the road effects a little, as it seems I like them more than others. Also no time to look at lock stops, even though I saw Reiza saying the defaults should now work. That should prob. be changed in the file.

These values are lowered in the file compared to what I use, as it seems that might suit more people:
    (road_scale_old 0.3) - I run at least 0.5.
    (road_scale 1.0) - I run at least 1.25.

Feel free to adjust other things and re-post as you please or disregard completely in case it's not for you.

New ffb custom file attached:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. CycloZeb

CycloZeb Member AMS2 Club Member

clearly the ffb suits me. but since 2 version we don't feel anything at the front braking with the v12 I had feeling under braking now there is no more feeling

5. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I know what you mean and agree somewhat. Problem is with the tweaked center, I am missing some things I like. I kind of fix the weird center with dialed LFB slider according to my wheel base(currently at 30) and it feels great.

Im willing to sacrifice a bit of stickyness in order to not lose that. I probably cant explain it, its like with the effect of pulling (fighting for center) the ffb is simulating the ondulations of the road more in the center which I would really miss. But its just me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if you are familiar with this famous English saying, but it applies:

-- "You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar."
    Thanks so much for your wisdom and kindness. This file and instructions allow me to comprehend what is going on and to tinker a bit without going down rabbit holes! I have already found some interesting impacts, but will need to explore a wider range of vehicles before drawing any conclusions. However, you and @Shadak zeroed-in on exactly what I was curious about, so thanks again.

I have one remaining question: when you refer to the LFB "bug" or rack rate "fix" can you explain how these are not just two preference values (1.0 versus 0.4 or something in between)? How is the 0.4 a correction and 1.0 a mistake?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg & @NuScorpii Guys, In all seriousness - Thanks for all of your hard work and effort put into this Custom FFB file! I thought I was happy with the New Default on the T300, but this file simply blows it away. Getting in the Super V8 at Adelaide has never been so much fun before. Heck, just getting in and lighting up the rears for some donuts has never felt this good in any sim before! Great job guys!

There's just a little bit of tweaking needed to suite the T300 and once I get it, I'll post that for anyone else who might be interested.

On another note, I fired up iRacing for some online VR practice laps yesterday and couldn't keep the car on the road for the lack of FFB! :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. OldGamerGazza

OldGamerGazza Member

I use irFFB for Iracing in my opinion it improves on stock ffb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Has anybody „tweaked“ the file for a cheap G27 wheel yet or do you think the default one will do?
    And which ingame setting (gain, lfb, fx) should be used when using the file or doesn’t it matter because the file „overwrites“ the ingame settings anyway?

10. Sting Ray

Sting Ray Member AMS2 Club Member

Slapshot82 - i am a bit lost now as to what the best (on your T300) "tweaked custom" file should be. Is it the latest Reiza file with some tweaks, or the file on page 48 or the file just above from Karsten?...could you maybe post your file ? ta

11. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That would be nice to try :)

12. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Glad you are enjoying custom file @Karsten Hvidberg and I developed. The rack ratio fix I did is to control the amount of LFB applied to the rack. The LFB function is useful and works well with the FX component but as Karsten pointed out it has some effects on the main FFB that are unwanted or a bit too strong. This leads you to trying to find a balance between raising LFB for FX but not too much for the rack forces. What the fix does is allows you to tone down how much LFB is applied to the rack (as a little bit is still good). We don't have access to the LFB slider value like we do with FX so we have to do this with a ratio where LFB is applied to a fraction of the rack force and added to the remaining fraction of the rack force.

• Like Like x 3
  13. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Tested default vs custom vs custom with Karsten's higher road scales.
    I stick to custom with higher road scale.
    Default I cannot feel any tire scrub under breaking, with custom there is more life and information.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NuScorpii

For those that want to keep their ffb as close to stock as possible but with the added scrub, here is an updated file from 0.9.3 with easy to edit scrub section at the top:

Code:
    ###########################################################
    #
    #Scrub settings
    #

# Front scrub scale (0.0 - 1.0)
    # Set to 0.0 to disable
    (scrub_scale_front 0.7)

# Rear scrub scale (0.0 - 1.0)
    # Set to 0.0 to disable
    (scrub_scale_rear 0.4)

# Front scrub lambda (inversly proportional to frequency of effect)
    # Higher values give lower freq. Best range 1.1 - 1.8
    (scrub_lambda_front 1.6)

# Rear scrub lambda (inversly proportional to frequency of effect)
    # Higher values give lower freq. Best range 1.1 - 1.8
    (scrub_lambda_rear 1.2)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. NuScorpii

Can anyone who was having soft lock issues before with default FFB confirm if it is now fixed for them in 0.9.3?

16. NuScorpii

Updated Karsten/NuScorpii custom ffb file including latest changes from 0.9.3 default.
    - Tweaked road scale values as people generally seem to prefer less marbles
    - Decreased scrub frequency and tweaked front / rear scale values
    - Added easy to edit scrub section at top of file
    - Updated to use new 0.9.3 soft lock method - can anyone confirm if this is working or not?

There is an interesting new line in the latest default:
    (scrub_vibe ( * scrub_rack fx))

But scrub_vibe is not used. I wonder if there is still work in progress on this or if it is used in some wheel drivers so some people are getting scrub effects on default but not others?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  17. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Active Member

I'll be able to test latest custom FFB files only in 2 hours and will report.

18. CycloZeb

CycloZeb Member AMS2 Club Member

thank you NuScorpii I tested the most ready file of the default setting it is really not bad and really better than the reiza rendering.
    I will test the update

19. NuScorpii

With the 0.9.3 FFB at first it felt really odd. I'd removed my Documents folder and re-assigned all the controls, setup up my FFB etc. But then using the usual cars it felt really odd, very light in the centre with lack of feedback, weird effects when loading up the ffb in the corners. Caterham 620R felt particularly odd. Started tweaking settings thinking there must be something wrong. Eventually realised I had forgotten to calibrate my wheel. After doing that it all felt good again. Doh!

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Rasmus Juel Andersen

Rasmus Juel Andersen New Member

Is this with the 0.9.3 default FFB or your own custom FFB? (Btw. BIG thanks to you and @Karsten Hvidberg for taking the time to optimize and fix the FFB AND making it available to the public!)

• Like Like x 3