1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

There may be a misunderstanding about what LFB is doing. It's simply a type of gamma function that maps an input value to an output value:
    [​IMG]

You can't lose any details and you can't boost only certain things. It is a 1 dimensional input giving a 1 dimensional output. It's doing exactly what I would expect feeling wise.

LFB isn't aimed at DD users although a little can still help. It's aimed at wheels that don't have a good response to light forces so need the boost when there isn't much going on. For those of us lucky enough to have a DD wheel, we just need to up the FX slider if we want more of those effects.

I personally like the control of being able to split the LFB but it's only a preference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

then how come LFB at 30 with a DD1 helps me feel the road relief/ondulations in the center I otherwise dont feel? At LFB around 0, center is nearly dead, as soon as I turn slighly I feel things, at 25-30, it matches the road while turning. Its appreciated you guys look at it scientifically of course. But my DD likes lfb :)

3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

@NuScorpii When you add strong and weak forces in one signal, force combined might for example become 0.5 in your chart, so Lfb has almost no effect, only a boost of some small % in total and so also only that % on the weak force.
    When you don't add them together, the weak force on its own will have a value of maybe say 3%. Look what happens to that in your chart.
    It will be mapped to a difference of maybe even 100% and become 6% or so instead. In the preadded scenario that might have been going from 3% to 3.2% or similar.
    Also, the difference close to 0% will be far greater than this example of a 100% boost. On phone, but you can see it yourself, that it might be even 500%(I can easily read out wrongly here, so could be off by a high pct, it does not matter).

So the difference is huge on the amplification of the weak force.

So "the bug" is still on. Any challenge on the matter is greatly appreciated so maybe we can reach a final conclusion even :)

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

Yes, this exactly makes sense. Not sure if your comment is for NuScorpii or me? :)

5. NuScorpii

@Karsten Hvidberg Same thing happens with gamma adjustment on the TV, but I wouldn't say it's a bug. I can see your point but as I said, this is working as intended and I very much doubt you'll get Reiza to change it.

6. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Hmm... I have LFB at 10, normally I would have set it to 0, because on a DD a low force boost should not be necessary, but Reiza told us that LFB is not just only low force boost.
    Would be interesting to know what LFB setting Reiza recommends for the DD1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For those of you using the SC2 Pro wheelbase and following along in this thread, would you mind sharing your current in-game FFB settings as well as all of your TD settings? Screenshots seem easiest. I'm new to sim racing, and I'm trying to find a good place to start from and struggling to do so given all of the options. Thanks everyone.

8. Karsten Hvidberg

@NuScorpii
    That is exactly the problem.

Not so many revisions ago Reiza changed it(V0.8.4.0).

It was changed from how it was originally intended(prob. prior to AMS2) & now not working as it was intended any longer.

Before then it actually worked as I am saying it should & it is a big difference to the road details & center feel as I described these last few posts.

I stand by the "LFB bug" claim 100% still :) (or should it be a sad face?)

9. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just wow! I have never experienced such a realistic scrubbing effect like this in ANY other sims...
    @NuScorpii, I'm using a Fanatec DD2, can you tell me what is your in-game FX setting you are using with this FFB custom file?

• Like Like x 3
  10. NuScorpii

These are my TD settings:
    upload_2020-5-23_19-29-23.png
    And in game I use Gain 30 / LFB 10 / FX 50

• Like Like x 2
  11. NuScorpii

The graph I posted was from Renato from the version 0.8.4 change. That is all that has changed, just the shape of the curve. Still working as intended. Although I don't think I'll convince you otherwise, so I'll not chime in again on this :p

12. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Well, I have to say that I'm pretty underwhelmed by the FFB changes made by the latest patch. I wasn't expecting much because of Reiza's wording in the last few updates, but I was hoping they might have taken at least some of the community effort on board. But apparently not, because there's still near-zero scrubbing in the default FFB, and we still don't have properly working soft locks despite an amateur like me managing to work out a fix weeks ago.

So thank goodness for you guys, your knowledge of FFB, and all the info you've provided for fellow tweakers. I've got my T300 feeling pretty good with your profile. Still needs a bit of tweaking and balancing to suit my preferences (doesn't it always?!), but I'm happy. Thank you! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Karsten Hvidberg

@NuScorpii

The important change was directly in default & also in the custom ffb file where the lfb calculation was moved as I am saying it was.

You really are wrong on all of these accounts I am afraid. :(

(The only reason I am pointing it all out is bc I feel it is important for Reiza to get right to not get stuck in problems they could avoid earlier, so don't hate the messenger :))

14. CycloZeb

CycloZeb Member AMS2 Club Member

216/5000

NuScorpii the last version is really good I recent everything well without having a parasite or too strong force.
    on ts - pc racer I am at 60/30/60 a big thank you for the effort to share the benefits

15. NuScorpii

Thanks VFX. In game settings are G30 / LFB10 / FX50. There was a small bug in the file I posted for just the scrub effects that @jpmmuc pointed out. I've added the fix to the file posted earlier and attached it here also. It includes the fix for lock stops which still don't work on some wheels, and also softens the hit to the lock stop preventing hard bounce back.

If you like that then also try the one I worked on with @Karsten Hvidberg.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. NuScorpii

I keep all the old Documents folders instead of deleting them. The only change with respect to where LFB was applied was to when the lock stops and clipping was applied. That will have no effect on the LFB like you are stating. The only change to the LFB function was to add the 0.15 parameter which is responsible for the change in shape of the curve.

Attached Files:

17. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

Hi, thanks for the updated file!! I will test it tonight.

About scrub, the first thing I noticed when tested 0.9.3 was scrub is noticeable now, at least on the Stock Car V8. I told myself Nice!!, but when tested the Rocco, F3 and Metalmoro Duratec Turbo, the scrub effect on the default profile is so subtle that it get lost in the others effects. I think it's car dependant how much scrub you feel on default.

In another note, I can't feel weight transfer when braking, neither with the default nor the custom profile. In fact, I never felt it with any version of the game. There is some option to tweak in the file to increase this effect?

Thank to you all for sharing all these files and information!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok, great!

I did exactly not have these, only memories, so it seems I am wrong on my last account. Sorry.
    (They did make an lfb change I see, so more than the LFB mapping change still.)

Still am right on all prior accounts, I think, from the perspective of why I consider it "LFB bug", so that is still on :)

19. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I removed the 3 custom lock stop lines nevertheless the lock stop is working fine. So I'm not sure when this will be used. My wheel is calibrated and the lock stop is ok with all cars I had tested.
    EDIT:
    Ok, I think I'm understanding now how this is implemented. AMS 2 simply changes the steering angle per car (my wheel setting is automatic) and the bump stop is coming from the wheel so AMS 2 does not need a additional custom lock stop for Fanatec.

BTW I modified the scoop for front scrubbing to 0.55 from 0.65 and now it's synchronized with the scrubbing sound. 0.6 for rear is fine.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

For me (T300) it is marginally stronger than before the patch, but still extremely weak and over-powered by cornering forces. So this fix is still required for at least some of us, perhaps non-DD users?

• Agree Agree x 1