1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

[QUOTE = "Karsten Hvidberg, post: 75987, membre: 13679"] Ok les gars, unf. il y avait un bug dans notre propre fichier personnalisé, que nous venons de découvrir. Il vaut donc mieux pousser cela maintenant.

Comprend:

* Correction du mélange de taux de rack lfb.
    * Séparation expérimentale du calcul lfb de force lente et rapide. Il devrait fournir une application LFB plus utile sur les forces plus rapides lors des virages en ligne droite et en virage. Je ne sais pas si quelqu'un remarquera la différence 8).

Fichier ffb personnalisé joint: [/ QUOTE]

Bonjour,
    Je suis impressionné. J'ai essayé, je pense, tous les fichiers que vous avez mis à disposition, mais pour moi, celui-ci est de loin le meilleur que vous ayez créé.
    On sent la route, mais aussi les freins, on sent vraiment la différence entre l'arrière et l'avant.
    la sensation au centre est plus resserrée, bien meilleure.
    Bravo, celui-ci je le garde précieusement.
    Bon dimanche!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Updated the the function used to ramp up the scrub effects. The scoop function was a bit blunt so I've replaced with an exponential function which should give a more progressive feel. I've added it to the latest files but I think @Karsten Hvidberg may have another version coming with tweaked rack smoothing. Have included a file with just scrub effects added too.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  3. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Might wait for Karsten's update then, I'm running out of memory saving all your updates:D, it's really interesting testing them, and a positive surprise realising how much it can be improved considering how good the default FFB from Reiza already is, keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi @F.Santos , as you have the same wheel as me, can you link your favourite file so far and any tweaks you've done?
    Cheers!

5. F.Santos

Sure, I'm using the latest Karsten file with adjusted front scrub/noise from 0.65 to 0.55.

On wheel: Force 100 dift-2.

In-game: 70.55.65, It's close to perfect to me, but maybe 65Gain!? if you prefer a bit lighter, not sure yet haven't tested enough cars. 70 seems good with Stock, V8s, Sprint and some formulas.

Since you have an HP Reverb I hardly think you play using a screen but in any case, these are my VR settings, haven't tried them on a normal screen.

Let me know if you get to a better FFB balance.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Alegunner68

Thank you, will try in a bit.
    Haven't simmed on a flat screen for over a year, can't go back after vr!
    What two cars do you think have extremes of ffb, the weakest and strongest? If I set the ffb so they feel nice then everything else in between should be ok until we get per car adjustments.

7. F.Santos

Uhm!??? hard to say ah, strongest probably the Opala Old stock 86, they had no power/hydraulic steering assists and they were boats!

Light is more complicated I guess the ARC Camaro and the copa classic cars when in cruising speed say the Fusca should always feel quite light in relation to the other cars in the game.

I know from a Brazilian drivers mouth that the F3 is heavier than the Sprints, which in the game is the opposite. But I guess we don't have quite Nm in our wheel to realistically replicate those forces.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Madonion

Madonion Member

The way i test is with a few cars,
    Sprint car on outlon park. Just the range of that track you can get a undulation bump as u drive out of the pits, then the strong wheel tension from the first left corner and braking at the second hair pin you can test how your car performs under braking. From it gripping tight and wanting to turn the car abit if it bites nicely with you having to hold it or slamming on the brakes and feeling the vibration in the wheel.
    V8 super cars i also use that track for since you can feel the car shift weight and tire wall flex.
    For small details i use the formula trainer car on Virginia international speedway since it has alot of black patched bits and a cement off ramp so i can feel the wheel vibrate different on these sections but spielberg historic does this well also.
    With those two extremes it gives me an idea what to feel and i adjust accordingly but obviously you wont feel as much road texture in a super V8 since tire thickeness stiffness plays in so bare this in mind when you testing for road texture.
    You can take a Formula reiza car and race imola to feel how "heavy" the car steering gets but Gain in the settings menu is the main factor for a heavy wheel, so if your car feels light then adjust gain.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rex Racer 65

Rex Racer 65 New Member

Not feeling it yet...
    The best analogy I can think of is fidelity when listening to music: The low-end & mid-range is fine, but the high end is completely missing.

I have a TC-PC racer with a Buttkicker II under my seat running Sim Commander. When I race in AC, ACC, R3E and RF2, I feel the engine, road surface & curbs in both the seat and the wheel simultaneously. This combination makes the sims feel much more lifelike, especially in VR! The fine details in the wheel feel the best in the two Kunos sims, AC & ACC.

Unfortunately, the wheel/seat synergy isn't happening with Automobilista 2. I feel the weight of the car (low-end), and suspension movement (mid-range), but the fine details are completely missing. And I've tried adjusting the sliders with no results. Interestingly, I do feel the details in my seat, so the sim does have the information. It's just not integrated into the wheel FFB. So, it feels like the car is gliding over the road vs. driving on the road. Not an enjoyable experience.

I really hope they address this soon. But, I'm getting worried as each update appears to miss this completely.

10. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

noob question:
    Do I have to copy the modded "ffb_custom_settings.txt" in the Documents\Automobilista 2 folder?
    Because I tried, but I found no difference with the new default one with gain, lfb and fx set by me.
    (T300 here)

Sorry. found it: Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

You download one of the FFB files from this thread. You place it into My Documents\Automobilista 2, overwriting the existing file when asked. Once in-game, you go to the FFB menu and select the CUSTOM profile, not the default.

Then take the time to test and readjust your sliders, because you will very likely need different settings for the custom profiles.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. F.Santos

My logic is very simple, whether it's right or not I will let you guys decide.

For most of us since the first time, we played AMS2 we have familiarized ourselves with how tracks and cars feel in general right!?

So I know for instance that Interlagos is to me a good track to test tyre FFB, using those painted patches on the edges of the track because you can feel them since early versions with almost every car, Interlagos is also good to test scrub on the low speed corners and the marbles on the edge of corners.
    Imola 72 and Ibarra, on the other hand, are perfect to test bump and fixed patches of asphalt on the road.

I find the slick, proper racing tyres of the Stockcars, UltimaGT are somewhat similar in feeling to the V8s, they are more massive muted tyres, but if you hitting kerbs and getting subtle FFB say in Imola, you gotta expect to get the same FFB from the asphalt patches to some degree!? With that in mind also a more dry rubber drag in a flat surface type of scrubbing leading to brittle.
    With the softer tyres of like the Copa cars, almost street like you should have a different scrubbing and a more brittle intense overall if that makes any sense, and feel the track/road much more.

That's how I judge it, by dividing tyre compounds into smaller groups (racier and less racier), less feel group and more feel group. (leaving weight and weight distribution and aerodynamics aside here)

Having said all that, with this current file and personal settings I get a great FFB feel with all cars, and different tyre scrubbing in different tracks and surfaces.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

New version ready. Been fighting what I call the LFB bug. Maybe "bug" is a too strong word, I actually agree with @NuScorpii (after he showed me they did not actually introduce the problem at Reiza) :)

But it IS an issue & it has made it hard to enhance the real road feel & the details in it. This is the first version that tries to fix it. Now details in the road should be felt much better than before & lfb effect also works on it.

This version:
    * Enhances real road feel (not the fx road, but the road as given from Reiza).
    * Allows LFB to act on the smaller road forces & details.
    * Makes FX slider also magnify road details a little, hopefully benefits non-dd wheels.
    * Lowers road_fx to 0.2.

The road fx is lowered compared to prior posts, as real road now contributes more than ever before. Tried to adjust values so things fit together.

If you like the sense of speed more than the road details, adjust the road_fx up.
    If you feel the road fx(sense of speed and other layers) is to entense & want more real road info, adjust it down.

"LFB bug hack" custom ffb file attached:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Alegunner68

@F.Santos the file you gave me is very similar to the one I had, very nice.
    I'm running 70 60 50 or thereabouts depending what car I'm in.
    Tried most of the suggestions, and they're all pretty good with these numbers (apart from one of the fwd Copa classic cars).

15. shushkata

shushkata New Member

Is the "(min_force X.XX)" related to the minimal force boost for the wheel ? Am i right to use it that way ?

16. Alegunner68

Like your new file @Karsten Hvidberg , I find I can put lfb way up with no detrimental effects. Only thing I've noticed awry is there's a lot of scrub when turning wheel at a standstill, and I may turn the road feel and lfb file up a tad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. F.Santos

Yeah, there's a bit much there true, I kinda went back to 65 gain as well. Felt more natural today. I'm gonna try your settings as well. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Awesome thanks! Does this include the changes to the scoop function that @NuScorpii made in post #1042 as well?

19. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Alegunner, I agree, we should fix that turning wheel noise at standstill so
    I did not check, but we share a google doc file, so I would think so. Am away from the comp. right now.

20. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Yeah I had noticed this. Can probably do something similar to the parking force scaling but in reverse...

@Chip Yes it's in there.

Good stuff @Karsten Hvidberg New files works well, really does boost the track texture detail. I still need to turn the effects down, probably something to do with how I have my wheel setup.

• Like Like x 3