1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake pedal causing lock-up

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NTUL, May 30, 2020.

1. NTUL

NTUL New Member

Does Reiza have any plans to make the brake lock up less? In AC, ACC, GTR 2, Race 07 / Race On, pCars 2, GT: Sport, and Forza Motorsport 7 all with ABS disabled, the brakes don't lock up for me unless I press pretty hard on the pedal, at least beyond 50% on the brake axis itself. With some cars, the brake locks up with only 30-40% braking force.

Obviously, you can decrease the brake sensitivity in the pedal settings, decrease brake pressure in the car setup, perhaps add some deadzone, but this to me is a work-around, not a proper fix. Compared to real world racing and all the other titles I mentioned, I've never had tires lock up as easily as in AMS 2. Another suggestion is to adjust the load-cell brake, but I find it kinda silly to modify my pedals just for AMS 2. I also play DR 2.0 sometimes and RBR, never had any issues with braking.

2. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

With what car(s)? What pedals do you use, and what settings do you have it set to currently? Providing more details usually makes it easier for others to share their experiences and inputs.

FWIW, I just tried Stock and V8 earlier and never encountered lock ups. Tried the V12 yesterday and did have lockups and simply adjusted my brake application.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

No problems here either. One or two cars lock up a bit easily with the default setups, but I adjust brake pressure down by 5% max (just like I routinely do in R3E) and issue solved.

If you haven't deleted your entire settings folder for a while, do it and set things up again from scratch. This should really be done after each patch. Also make sure to re-calibrate your devices in the controller menus. Finally, both tyres and brakes start cold so make sure you're doing at least three or four laps before making a judgement on how any car handles. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. 250swb

250swb Active Member

As we get closer and closer to final release shouldn't the need to delete all settings diminish rapidly unless there is another alert from Reiza? It smacks of some underlying problem if by now we still need to scrap everything on the brink of final release if updates fundamentally change the game so much. I've stopped deleting everything and since todays update it seems to work, but I accept early access is an experiment. Updates will continue to come after final release, will the whole community then need to continue with the 'delete all' function or is there a time to just stop?

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

It's standard practice in many EA/beta games because of the nature of the changes being made by patches. We're not talking minor tweaks and bug fixes as you would see in a patch for a fully "finished" game, we're talking major additions to code, new settings, the removal of placeholders and temporary workarounds, etc etc. That is why saves, settings, and profile information in such games can become out of date, incompatible, and introduce problems.

As mentioned, once a game is deemed release-ready or "finished", most developers will do all they can to ensure compatibility between versions to prevent users losing any of their progress. It's not guaranteed and occasionally a fresh start may still be needed, but it's a lot less likely and will probably be limited to controller profile removal after FFB patches... that kind of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Does this have anything to do with why my first outlaps tend to be my fastest? Or am I just trashing the tires so bad in my first lap or two they're junk afterwards?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. jpmmuc

jpmmuc Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Look at the telemetry screen / HUD the tyres are overheating and have to much pressure. I don't known if it's the standard setup or why the heat and pressure is so rising.

The brakes are now mostly fine if there a some combinations with to sensitive brakes everyone should list this. We could to try it and report.

8. NTUL

NTUL New Member

I stopped playing AMS 2 because I'm waiting for the brake pedal to be fixed. If it'll help, I can try out a few cars and post the cars which lock up the easiest, and by easiest, I mean unrealistically.

Most of my races were about 20-50 laps, which is plenty of time for the brakes to heat up... In which case, they'd eventually be damaged and start squeaking... BAD. I don't mind posting a video of DXTweak running while AMS 2 running windowed, showing exactly how much force I'm using.

I pretty much never go over 75% on the brake axis as it pretty much always just locks the tires up unless I decrease brake pressure in the car setup, which isn't the right way to fix it. In other sims, I usually leave the brake pressure maxed out at 100% and manage the lock-up myself. The threshold in AMS 2 is way off though, if you have brake pressure at 100%, it's really really bad. By default, most cars are at around 85%. I found that setting it all the way down to 70% is much better, but it shouldn't be necessary to do this.

To make sure I'm not crazy, I fired up Assetto Corsa and did a lap around the Nurburgring. AMS 2 has trained me to be so INCREDIBLY CAREFUL with the brake, that on the first corner in AC, I slammed into the wall. I restart, mash brake.. No crash. Few corners later, I'm still feeling all that training from AMS 2, and slam into a wall again.. I forget everything about AMS 2 and recall back to when I raced on AC all the time, I fly through the Nurburgring without any trouble at all.

Deleting the AMS 2 documents folder doesn't fix the crazy sensitive brake. If you think the brake pedal in AMS 2 is working properly, jump right into AC, disable the ABS and pretend like it's AMS 2. If you brake the same way you do in AMS 2, as you do in AC, you'll notice the car doesn't want to stop at all, and you'll miss every apex. I took the Lamborghini Countach out and had to slam on the brake in order to get the wheels to lock-up, AMS 2, anything more than a light tap and KRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT.

9. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I don't have the same experience as you with the brakes locking up with light pressure on the pedal. Good idea of making a video with DXTweak to show the issue. I use DXTweak too, so I suggest you pick a car and track combo to try and we can both make a video and compare results. Maybe use time trial so the brakes and tyres start out at an optimum temperature.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

@NTUL I've done a video of Donnington and Oulton in the Ultima to show how much brake force I can apply:

Good places to watch are the chicane and hairpin after 1:23 & 2:01 at Donnington and going into Hislop's at Oulton park at 3:45. I'm achieving over 90% brake force in DXTweak and in game on the telemetry HUD and maintaining controlled braking. As you can see before each run I reset the car to default setup. My brake sensitivity is set at 50% (linear). Let me know if there's any other info I can give that may be useful.

11. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

I have lockup since the firts release.
    I think it's not simulative to change the brake pressure in the setup, because I never seen so sharp brake sensibility in any other title.
    I tried to lowering at 4 the brake sensibility in the AMS2 controller settings.
    I calibrated the pedals.
    No success.
    I want to full brake at high speed (with proper cars) without earing this squeal. I don't know if it's only an audio glitch, but actually it prevents me to drive with AMS2.

12. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

With my Logitech pedals, I have to calibrate the pedals every time I load the game. And once is not enough, I have to do it twice in a row, pressing the brake pedal as hard as I can each time. Then the pedal in game is fine/much less sensitive.

May be worth trying on your pedals?

I think the input registration needs some tweaking, it's an issue that carried over from PC2 for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

@TekNeil Uhm... I don't know. I think it's a sort of audio glitch. Look at the video until the end.
    When the brakes are hot, the squeal stop to exists. Ok, maybe the brakes are not working so well and the squeal isn't there because the breaking is longer.
    But... Uhm... That squeal is so annoying! GRR! :)

14. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Ah, I was more thinking about the sensitivity (Breathe on pedal and brakes lock up). But after watching your video (I now have all the dogs on my street going crazy lol), are the brakes running those temps under normal race circumstances with that car?

Also, In real life if you overheat brake pads they can 'glaze', this can cause squealing 'some' of the time, basically it's pretty random but does take compound, temps, condition etc into effect.

15. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

Uhm... I'm returnig now from a 15 laps with the same F301. The screeecth, the wraaap, at the beginning of the braking at high speeds is always there. No matter if I set the sensitivity of the brakes at 1 or 100. It's always the same thing. The simple fact that the changes in the sensitivity don't cause any effect is and advice that something is wrong. I think.

16. Madonion

Madonion Member

Sometimes the game takes your previous car settings over to a new type of car and i can see breaks over heating easily like this so always restore to default when doing a new race till this is fixed.

17. NTUL

NTUL New Member

OT: I absolutely love that cartoon punch sound at 0:48, that's hilarious!! I hope they never change that sound!

I don't have Adobe Premiere installed at the moment but I can do a quick side-by-side; AMS 2 in a window and DXTweak next to it. Is this ok?

edit: To those not having trouble with the brake, have you disabled ABS?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  18. Leclettico

Leclettico Member

Again in 0.9.6.0

Folder Automobilista 2 deleted in Documents? YES
    Calibrated pedals? YES
    ABS? NO settings Authentic

19. Dennis

Dennis Member AMS2 Club Member

Something wrong with this game, kicking it aside for now

20. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Why do you apply 100% breake every time you brake?
    Every time you brake you start with 100% and then reduce the pressure to more normal levels.

You probably just showing the squeal sound

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1