1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

REIZA - Can you please make F1 1991 (or GPL2...)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pierre Dietze, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Pierre Dietze

Pierre Dietze Bad to the bone AMS2 Club Member

There are so many open wheeler in AMS and AMS2. There are so many great and historical tracks in AMS and AMS2. So many brilliant mods are done for AMS, especially the historic open wheeler of 1971 or 1975. I think you and the modders love F1 of the "good old days".

Is it possible (by any chance) that we see a Grand Prix Legends 2 eventually? 1991 Formula one season? That whould be absolutly outstanding.

Think about it:
    - 18 teams
    - V8, V10 and V12 engines
    - 2 tyre brands
    - the best of the best racing tracks, Phoenix, old Spa, old Monza, Estoril, old Imola, old Hockenheim, old Silverstone, old Mexico, old Monaco Layouts!
    - THE Legends: Senna, Prost, Alesi, Mansell, Berger, Schumacher, Herbert, Häkkinen, Patrese, Zanardi, Alboreto...
    - the most beautiful cars: MP4/6, Ferrari 642/643, Benetton, LEYTON HOUSE, FW14, Jordan 191...

So please, grab your balls and bring it on. There IS a market for historic motorsport sims, believe me. So many here are of older age and love the cars and heros of their childhood. They would pay decent money for a older F1 sim or CanAm or GroupC or Group5. And no other company does that. So why seek a niche in a crowded market instead of entering a market where there is no competition?

And to my simracing friends here, reply if you like the idea! Reply if you like older motorsport on older tracks!

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. keith windsor

keith windsor Active Member AMS2 Club Member

And I'd really like to see the inclusion of all the old pre-qualifying as well (on Thursdays and Fridays, was it?) - 30 + cars trying to qualify for 26 grid spots, then the 12 lap qualifying on Friday and Saturday with best lap counting from either session. Yes, there have been various qualifying options in all the past sims, but this has never been done yet, it would be great to see.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. OlaN

OlaN Member

Ferrari 642/643, Benetton B191, Williams FW14 are already in the game, McLaren MP4/6 will come with the Brazilian legends pack along with the tracks for 1991.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I think you're entirely right, I think with all the gamers coming of age we are going to start having more and more reboots, of old games we were nostalgic for. But I think in addition we are also going to see more and more historic content that we never had sims for in the first place. I would be thrilled to have a modern interpretation of F1 1976, or F1 94-98 or something. I think there's a market, and I'd probably pay a lot of money if it's done well, but obviously if the game is expensive, it will never sell, and thus it will never get made. You really do have to rely on the market being there.

But a reimagining of Grand Prix Legends would be pretty epic. The historic F1 cars are what make AMS 2 to me. I absolutely love them.

Tracks for 1991? All of them? Ive only heard about Silverstone, Bathurst, and Spa...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Ollie Coker

Ollie Coker New Member AMS2 Club Member

I would love to see the 1991 season brought to a modern sim. There was a terrific mod for RF1 with the full 1991 season car roster, and the physics were really well done for their time. you could feel the difference between each chassis, and of course you had the variety of v8, v10 v12 engines of varying degrees of strength.

1991 was a watershed of sorts for me, the last season a manual gearbox car won the drivers championship, last v12 champion car, the last season a cosworth DF series engine (DFR) was used, and as others have said a fantastic selection of tracks in this era. soon after the cars went to smaller tyres and then narrower track and so on. the 90's were a great era but i think on balance i like the older cars more...

I know not everyone will feel the same, but i would pay full game price (say, £30-40) for this as DLC if it is brought to life as a complete season with all cars/tracks and the appropriate rules etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

7. Ollie Coker

I presume this prevents a historic season being reproduced ? it doesn't seem to stop individual cars being replicated...

it would be a shame, bu we've seen this licensing stupidity from Porsche (with EA) until recent years

8. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Actually that is a valid counterpoint I hadn't thought of. There may be a certain cutoff point for past seasons where the FIA (or FOM) has no more say in the matter and licencing rights go back to the F1 teams. Either that, or the F1 licence held by Codemasters only ever covers the current season.

In that case, disregard my previous post :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ollie Coker

in the nicest possible way - lets hope we can do that ! :)

10. InfernalVortex

Yeah this was my question, I dont know if their license applies to only the current season or recent ones or what. But I did hear Jimmy Broadbent on youtube saying that they had to do a lot of research to find the license owner to make the Benetton B195 for the Schumacher cars in F1 2020... If that's true, that's promising for the possibility of getting a historic sim, but it isnt encouraging as far as finding rights holders. Still I agree, I'd pay full game price if there was a full game's content (Just a full field of cars and tracks and a proper championship mode.

11. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

As lovely as that would be, we obviously don´t have the F1 license which is exclusive to Codies, and even if we could license all the tracks, cars and drivers (which we can´t as most don´t exist anymore and many have no known licensing representation) we´d be liable to claims of trying to recreate real F1 events, which again we´re not licensed to.

As fond as I am of that era (it´s my personal favorite motorsports season of anything, ever), its arguable that the market value for it would be marginal at best. So we´re doing the next best thing we can do - sampling it with a number of the most exciting tracks and a few cars of the era, and offering a big & diverse racing game package around it to help make it a viable product. The same goes for other motorsports series and eras that we´d love to see recreated but can´t for one reason or another dedicate exclusively to.

• Like Like x 17
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Ollie Coker

Thanks for taking the time to reply - as you say we already have some great content around this era, with more to come

13. InfernalVortex

I love the reply, and I hear the message. Im obviously disappointed but I agree what we're getting is definitely the next best thing... But I have to know... you said it was your favorite motorsport season of anything ever.. are we talking about 1967 or 1991? :D

14. NightHawk

NightHawk New Member

And that's why mods are crucial for stuff like this. Individual people offering non-profit F1 season recreations. There were some great F1 mods in RF1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm more than happy if we can use custom skins along with tweaking individual cars and drivers strength someday. That's as close as we can get to a 1991 season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

Knowing that each car of each era can't be reproduced on the sim, it would be good to have room for customization. This way each player will have the car they want to drive, or at least to be close to the preffered car. Customization was always one of the most desired items on simulators.

If we could have chassises (with different fronts), engines, and different rims to choose, the desired cars will be easy to get. Three options of each one would be more than sufficient. Plus the possibility to make skins.

This could be easier to do with 1991 cars, and more difficult with older cars because the engine is exposed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Ollie Coker

custom drivers / skins / teams would be a big plus, even without anything else

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. InfernalVortex

I know this is a lot more obscure, but it seems perfect for Reiza to do if there's interest. I'd be super excited to have a Formula 5000 car. The idea of 70s era formula car chassis with 500-700hp American 5 liter V8's sounds incredibly fun. I think these were a big deal in the 70s but have since faded into obscurity. They're creating several 70s F1 cars now, that could potentially be used as a basis for a project like this.

The reason I say these would be perfect is because they were built by various different chassis makers, Lola, March, Mclaren, Lotus, Elfin, etc, but many of them are obscure enough that lack of licensing isnt really that important to players. We wont be upset if it isnt a perfect copy of an actual car with the correct name on it. Just listen to them!

Obviously, this would be way down the priority list, and wouldn't be something we would see for probably multiple years if they wanted to start on them, but I dont know of any game that has ever had these cars in it, and they must be an absolute blast to drive. Just curious if enough of us are interested to justify it. I'd definitely pay money for it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2