1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there is no other way to update the custom ffb. The only thing you can do in game is switch between the custom ffb loaded when the game started and the default profile.

2. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Just to clarify:

The response to @Cully was not describing how the actual FFB scaling is dealt with in the big file vs the small file.

- I was describing the big file's logic that makes sure that the total FFB output sticks to the strength of the internal "max_output", no matter if you push both gain & fx to the max, for example.
    This just simplifies life & is a neat little invention.

Additionally: The big file does not simply scale down forces. What it does is give easier control for adjusting the forces relatively, without any chance of introducing clipping as you do so.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  3. NuScorpii

Sure, you've made it very complex, probably too complex for most people to understand, but at the end of the day all it is doing is scaling the forces down. So even in low force scenarios you are getting lower forces than with the same gain setting using default.

I think it's important that people realise that with your solution they are getting lower forces across the board. Not that your solution is wrong, just that you get lower forces all the time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Well that's explained why the profile felt so bad for me. Everything felt incredibly weak like I was running 20 gain or something. It seems the big profile is not really meant for a T300, unless you like a very light wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tassydevil

Tassydevil Member AMS2 Club Member

@NuScorpii
    After many hours of testing of most of the profiles, I have found the Heavy Messing profile is the one that ticks all the boxes for my CSW v1 wheel and me.
    I would like to thank both @NuScorpii and @Karsten Hvidberg for all the work & effort they have both put into this project and I will obviously be looking at this thread for new ideas from you both.
    In game I use 75/55/61 and it runs well.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Madonion

Madonion Member

im using that heavy ffb fix file also, just have one issue where if i start the game it doesnt kick in ffb unless i wait or drive around 80km and then it works perfectly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

is Heavy Messing the "big file"?
    I am trying to follow but I am very confused on what is what and doing what for what wheel at this point.

8. NuScorpii

Heavy Messing is the streamlined file and can be found here. The "big file" was a joint collaboration but IMHO has become to large and complex, hence why I switched to making the smaller more easily configurable streamlined file.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. NuScorpii

Hi mate, haven't had this myself. Will follow up with you on Discord and get more details / try and solve it.

10. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Just out of interest how can I join in on Discord ?
    Thanks .

11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

next update (9.6.1) is here.;)

12. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I tried it with Nuskorpiis file and didnt notice anything wrong. Still hoping he runs through it to double check :)

13. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Felt fine to me too, no different to yesterday.

14. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@NuScorpii , what can I change in the file to calm down high speed oscillation without losing anything?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karsten Hvidberg

The reason it has been a little weak in the last files after introduced "weights" is because the weights have not been tweaked for T300 yet. Not related. The whole argument that it is weaker is simply not true.

Weights make the ffb force easier to adjust without introducing clipping or dynamic scaling, which leads to simply a more correct ffb representation.

Cheers

16. Karsten Hvidberg

Update:

* Fixed some bugs.
    * Clipping further improved.
    * "no_scale_ffb" added. If set to 1.0, it makes sure no scaling on the FFB signal occurs, so good for higher end wheels. It is a luxury, since the weights already make sure the actual clipping/scaling is happening at a minimum..

If you feel some forces are too vague, feel free to post adjusted weights for your wheel base or let me know so they can be adjusted.

Attached cutom ffb file "Laser Cut":

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  17. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I felt no real difference in the custom files with 9.6.1. A couple of updates ago they mentioned they would be stopping default FFB development and just focus on bugs, but they continue to make improvements. Perhaps there is a spy in here snooping around...

• Like Like x 1
  18. NuScorpii

Depends on the type of oscillations. If they increase and start to get out of control then increasing gyro_scale should help.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Karsten Hvidberg

Not correct.

* In low force scenarios nothing is scaled down.
    * Forces are not made lower, but the weights might not be adjusted to a specific wheel base yet, is all.
    * Smart slider is an ease of use improvement.
    * Weights helps on precision by easy control.
    * Complexity that can be automated I see no reason not to automate.

There is no real need to point fingers at what we might think others are doing wrong with their solutions, so can we not go there?

I have many arguments the other way, but see no reason to go to that ugly place.

There is just no point & nobody wins. If I got something nice to say about something, I will share that. Can we stick to that?

Cheers

• Like Like x 6
  20. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg in this file when you seated in the pit if you turn the wheel from side to side it feels weightless, then when you turn the engine on and turn the wheel again it oscillates with a bit more weight from side to side by itself for a number of seconds.
    I was also trying your previous file and I tried to get the kerbs more alive and I went up to 2.0 and it didn't do much if anything at all. Maybe it's not working, and it had the same wheel oscillation issue.

@NuScorpii I've been using your file lately, but there's a strong noise when braking and turning along with the tyre scrub feel. Almost as if they added an extra tyre scrub feel to it that is just a constant noise, I managed to reduce that by reducing (rack_load to 0.2), but at high speed pushing the cars hard, it is still very much there.
    Is there another way to affect/reduce that?

• Like Like x 1