1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with Pimax 8k plus?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Mike1304, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just ordered this VR headset (playing with Rift now).
    Has anyone tried AMS2 with Pimax headset? Will it run? Will it be smooth?

2. Mike1304

Sorry for double post. How can I delete this?

3. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You are not being very helpful by not proving any stats (in your signature, like everyone else) about your CPU, GPU, RAM, etc... or even the game settings you plan to use. If you have a RTX 2080Ti with powerful computer and graphics settings low, it will play just fine.

4. Mike1304

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I have strong hardware (2080Ti and i9-9900k CPU) but I‘m still not sure if I made the right decision when I ordered the Pimax 8k yesterday. I know that I struggled to get fluid VR-gameplay even with my old Rift in Assetto Corsa Competizione for example. (Please don’t ask me why I ordered the 8k then...)

In AMS2 it’s fine with the Rift but Pimax has a lot of more pixel to calculate. I just hope that there are some Pimax users out there who tell me that they get fluid experience with AMS2 and maybe tell me their settings in Pi-Tool and Steam-VR and ingame...

@Devs: is there a possibility to merge this thread with my double-post or delete one of them? So sorry that I double-posted by accident...

5. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You would probably find some useful info on the Project CARS forum, quite a few Pimax users over the years have posted there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VFX Pro

...and AMS2 is much more VR friendly than ACC. Starts with low settings, remove god rays, bloom and lens flares and lower the track details, reduce number of cars to 10-15 and keep the VR supersampling to 1 and you should be fine with the type of computer setup you have.

7. Madonion

Madonion Member

I would not go the pimax route, we have a guy called kotari in our discord who has one and the build quality of the plastic doesn't last and even with his 1080ti he has to lower the FOV in order to play at on low settings. You will always be limited by every new game coming out each year and it will always force you to buy the best graphics card out which is not a great way to play.

VR is all about smooth framerates. if you cant reach those you are going to have a horrible experience even if u have a nice 170 FOV.
    i recommend HP reverb as it has the highest clarity without crippling your graphics cards and almost little screendoor even though some say it has no screendoor already.
    But HP reverb 2 is around the corner & launch date is fall 2020. i will see if i can get him to post on here and im on a rift S.

8. John Hargreaves

He's already ordered it ;)

9. Madonion

Madonion Member

Goodluck to him :whistle:

John i see you have a HP reverb. Hows the screendoor effect? Must be close to lcd quality?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

what screendoor ;)

11. John Hargreaves

Great for seated sims. The definition is a step up from the Rift S, fov about the same. Because of the sharper image you don't really need supersampling, so performance is actually similar. I'd say it's similar to looking at a 1080p 27" monitor for screendoor. Steam VR/WMR has been reliable. Colours a little more muted than Rift S, headset much more comfortable for me, but that depends on head size, some prefer the Rift.
    I got mine as a day 1 order, and I have had a little of the hardware issues after 10 months use (right eye dims after longer play, left earpiece sound cutting out) so it's currently going back to HP under guarantee. Even with all that I would still recommend it. I'm using a Rift S in the meantime.

12. VFX Pro

Same for me... I have the HP reverb, it's super crisp high resolution and no screen door, it's just amazing. I can read all my in-car panels/displays font just fine...without squinting or move my neck forward.

13. Mike1304

I never experienced the screendoor effect (had only a Rift yet) so it doesn’t seem a problem for me. Even the resolution was okay for me with my old Rift because I could increase it anyway by cranking up super sampling or pixel density.
    I never understood people saying they needed much higher resolution HMD because they couldn’t read dashboard or didn’t even see braking points.
    I could see this all with my Rift. The readability of the gauges is more important in flight sims IMHO.

The thing I wished the most from a new VR-headset was a wider FOV to get even more immersion in racing sims but also in all other games. This is why I ordered a Pimax.

Maybe a wrong decision because of being too demanding but let’s see. That’s why I asked for experience from AMS2 players who use a Pimax 8k (plus). Maybe nobody does and maybe for a reason... :whistle:

I haven’t even received my new Pimax and am already thinking of a Plan B...:D:rolleyes:

14. John Hargreaves

You are probably familiar with this guy's channel, but if not he's a big Pimax fan

This guy's good too

If it'll run PC2 it should be good with AMS2

• Like Like x 1