1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

There seems to be something really odd going on with the custom ffb processing.

I've attached two files, one that works and one that doesn't (for me anyway). The only difference is this:

Not working:
    Code:
    (output (* rack gain))

Working:
    Code:
    (output (* rack gain))
    (output (* rack gain))

Am I going mad?

This doesn't fill me with confidence that the rest of the file is processing properly.

Can someone confirm if this is also the case for them?

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. NuScorpii

@Karsten Hvidberg I think it has something to do with the comment style. I would recommend not using these types:

Code:
    ###########################################################
    #
    # Lock stops
    #

And just use normal single line comments.

3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Yes, absolutely :)

I am aware of those issues & they are very real. Well noticed!!
    It's the way the turning momentum rack is calculated. Also the notch.

Will see if I find the time to fix it... Ever.. :)
    To be honest it's part of why I won't be posting the balance stuff today. I advanced it & wanted to solve these issues(or at least some of them) & just no time.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Karsten Hvidberg

I have had a weird issue I haven't looked in to & this could very well be it.
    where I do the last "no_scale_output" replacement, also reading in to output further down there in the file...

I'll try if it fixes it at some point when time allows.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Have to say I feel the same , might be wrong but I think most of the forces are lost on my low end G920 . Going to test again in a few minutes and see if I can find a compromise between silver bullet and the new default .
    Saying that I'm still in awe of the work that has gone into these files , amazing stuff

• Like Like x 2
  6. Karsten Hvidberg

To cater for less power you can try and adjust "turning_momentum" down to maybe 1.0 or so.
    If that is not enough then try and adjust the setting "max_ffb_output" down to maybe 1.35 or you can try lower.

That should bring the forces a little down, so you don't hit the high compression zone of the ffb.

Maybe it helps?

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  7. Karsten Hvidberg

Update:

Had to make it work: Balancing in, notch away. Small bug made me spend quite some time here... But the technical method is really nice & simple. Separate wheel calculations, orthogonal calculations for balance and turn momentum.

* Car balance added.
    * Balance setting to adjust strength of balance feel "car_balance".
    * Notch away.
    * Allow more details from the track.

For fun: Adjust "car_balance" up to 10.0, then pick a caterham & watch it zig-zag.
    Otherwise just set it how you like. Default at 2, but you might want it a little higher.

Adjust "turning_momentum" (set at 1.75 currently):
    - Down, if you feel the tightening under speed is too high. 1.5 seems really good too.
    - Up, if you just can't get enough of that.

Also "friction" might be worth changing depending on your wheel base.
    If you are on a DD or other high-end wheel, you might already have friction set, so then adjust "friction" lower in the custom ffb file.

Custom ffb file attached "Silver Bullet v7" :
    (next version prob. allows more road features through the momentum rack as @Alegunner68 pointed out earlier as well as tweak the grip feel and put road detection back in the game)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Same for me, no ffb at all from the fail file.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sharkey_NL

Sharkey_NL New Member

Yup, no FFB from fail.txt

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karsten Hvidberg

Deleted

• Like Like x 1
  11. Karsten Hvidberg

Deleted

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Karsten Hvidberg

Sorry, guys,
    there's some serious bug I just for some reason never felt myself..
    Working on it.. Will post if found...

@Alegunner68 it explains your issue.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  13. Alegunner68

Would be nice if you could increase the gain somewhat, these latest ones have been a bit lacking;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Karsten Hvidberg

Final(?) update for today(combined the efforts from earlier, deleted those posts to not clutter as much and added the latest features):

I really hope this one feels as good on other wheel bases as it does on mine (makes the Default feel badly sick on my setup), but prob. not quite until dialed fully in.

(Still includes the balance & notch additions from last night/this morning's session).

Additional:

* Road feature details to the "Momentum Rack". Feels better now when speeding :)

* Removed latencies, both in the Momentum Rack and in the blending with the Reiza rack.

* Momentum Rack 1.0 - code a little cleaner. Will not shorten it, since it's very easy to understand what it does when not shortened. The strength is in the simplicity of the solution, so it's very short anyways (core is at lines 327 - 369), which handles both wheels separately for both balance, turn momentum and details.

* Grip feel adjusted.

* Momentum Rack adjusted slightly up, to 2.5.

Make changes to:

- "momentum_rack_details_boost" if you want them even more or less pronounced, but I generally see no need on my own wheel base.

- "car_balance" up if you need more heavy feel to the cars. Down if less. Default at 2.0, still not quite sure what best would be.

- "momentum_rack" (set at 2.5 currently):
    - Down, if you feel the tightening under speed is too high. 1.5 seems really good too.
    - Up, if you just can't get enough of that.

- "friction" might be worth changing depending on your wheel base.
    - If you are on a DD or other high-end wheel, you might already have friction set, so then adjust "friction" lower in the custom ffb file.

Custom ffb file attached "Silver Bullet V9 - Momentum Rack 1.0":

@Alegunner68 please let me know what else you need :). I am curious what adjustments are required for it all to feel great on your wheel base. Same for @F.Santos and anybody else that gets it dialed in to their base. Would be good to have done. I wish I had more than this one wheel myself...

• Like Like x 4
  15. NuScorpii

New update for Heavy Messing.

I went back to V2.0 as the good base (as @Alegunner68 and a few others mentioned) and reworked all the code to make sure it was all working as intended. Solved a few bugs along the way, and now the result is a feel that is as good if not better than V2.0 but with all the added features of V2.1. There was a problem in particular with the Caterham 620R which is now fixed.

The clipping code has also been revised. As @Shadak mentioned, the high down force cars didn't really produce enough resistive torque when going fast. This was due to part of the file reducing the dynamic range for the main rack force. This has been increased to give the full dynamic range. This must be used with care on high output DD wheels though. If you use a low gain value in game and a high strength setting on the wheel then you could potentially get large spikes of output. It is therefore recommended to use higher gain of at least 60 and lower the strength of the wheel in the control panel to suit.

Tested against my old WR at Oulton Park in the Ultima Race done using HM v2.0. Managed to knock another 0.5s off with this one so definitely in the right ball park.

V2.2 Update:
    * Revised tyre adhesion code to make it more consistent across vehicles.
    * Increased range of intermediate sigmoid functions to provide much higher dynamic range for DD wheels.
    * Various variable tweaks to improve feel and consistency across cars.
    * Clipping now performed after the gain is applied giving full range of output.
    WARNING - this may produce very high peak force on DD wheels if low gain and high strength is used.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Alegunner68

Ok, tried the new v9 @Karsten Hvidberg , first thing i noticed was the dreaded notch, even lowering lfb didn't do much so i changed rack lfb blend to 0.25 and that removed it.
    Road feel seems to be speed related more now, fast straights and bends are ok but slow and medium corners are more or less flat.
    I'm thinking these latest files are more suited to DD wheels, It took me a lot of fiddling just to get a good feeling.
    Here's the file for comparison if anyone wants to try.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

Ahh, great, thanks!
    Reg. the notch, I think increasing the car_balance might have helped?

Yes, I can def. turn those details up in general as well too, thought you meant only missing at speed.

And you're def right it needs to be dialed in, I just need help for each base to do it, unf..

I will look at your changes and boost the values a little in general, I think. Also the car_balance.

Thank you again!

• Like Like x 1
  18. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey @Karsten Hvidberg, gonna try the modified file from @Alegunner68, but your file has more of a centre normally which gives a better feel for the front wheels and combined with scrub a great feel of rear wheels too, I'm afraid that center notchiness might be to some degree a necessary evil.

Two things though, I increased scrub to 2.0, and what exactly would increase the weight transfer under braking, accelerating and side to side? For instance, with the hot car fusca when you breaking for the first corners in Curitiba you feel the tyre scrub, but there's not much feel for the strong change of speed, you can experience the same when driving off the pits, you see the bonnet lifting a bit, but there's barely anything giving you the feel for what you see.

@NuScorpii, the weight transfer on your file
    Nus file gives a better feel of "bodyweight" of the car but

@Karsten Hvidberg, Im gonna try @Alegunner68 file, but normally your files have more centre momentum, which is great to feel the front wheels and helps to identify in a way the rear tyre scrub. Im thinking even to a lower notchiness it might be a necessary evil.

Also, how do I increase the weight transfer under accel, braking and side to side? Is it rack_weight or car balance? If you pick the Fusca in Curitiba driving off the pits you can see the bonnet lifting but there's barely any feel to it, same under braking for the first little corners in which the car kinda just feel light, there seems an issue with elevation changing being quite low possibly!? Thanks

@NuScorpii, I like your file but I need to play a bit with scrub and road noise, not getting it quite as I had in the previous file. The scrub front and back are quite hard to identify for me in both files thou, with the body movement of the car being so dynamic (which feels great) its hard to really get the feeling/sense of front tyres and rear, feels a bit like one middle front tyre and two rears.
    Any suggestions? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Santos,

Great!

It is the "momentum_rack" for a general increase.
    "car_balance" for relatively more sideways, so the center moves more.

I hope that is what you needed?

I know I prob. set car_balance too low. Stayed on the conservative side. Same for other values.

Really appreciate this, it will help my racing to have both adjusted better. Same to @Alegunner68.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Karsten Hvidberg