1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game not going True Fullscreen anymore?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dirk, May 14, 2020.

1. Dirk

Dirk Member AMS2 Club Member

EDIT: SOLVED! Disabling "Fullscreen Optimization" on AMS2.exe worked for me.

Either one of the last two updates seems to have disabled True Fullscreen mode for me. Without True Fullscreen Gsync doesn't work right on my setup. And trying to record something with Shadowplay it asks me to enable Desktop Recording.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

check your steam launch parameters.
    Maybe you tried -borderless and forgot about that ;)

3. Dirk

Nope, no dice. Tried deleting the profile, tried a complete reinstall - the game (or at least the version on my PC) just does not have a True Fullscreen mode anymore. It has Windowed (Windowed = Yes) and Borderless Windowed (Windowed = No).

Would love a quick word from a dev if that is:
    1) An issue with my installation.
    2) Working as designed.
    3) Going to be changed/fixed.

The reason I want True Fullscreen is because I've never had a Borderless Windowed game that didn't have one issue or another; worse performance, bad framepacing, Gsync not working, etc.

4. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I have a similar issue with ACC (dont play it anymore so not really bothered) and havent been able to fix it. Its weird, it doesnt feel like windowed but I can somehow feel its not true fullscreen either. Although performance was OK, I can feel a very slight steering lag, very very slight but I know its there and it was annoying :)

5. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

if you edit your "graphicsconfigdx11.xml"
    there you should read
    <prop name="Windowed" windowed="0" />
    that is full screen mode

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dirk

Nope, that's just Borderless Windowed for me.

I want to reiterate again that I'm not talking about getting rid of borders, I'm talking about True Fullscreen, which is different from Borderless Windowed but on the surface looks the same.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Andrew Willis

Andrew Willis New Member AMS2 Club Member

Dirk, I'm trying to determine what's up with this as well. I'm running AMS2 on a single primary display. I've double and tripled checked that the option is set to Fullscreen, yet my start menu is able to draw itself on top, I'm able to mouse out to secondary displays, etc. Basically, all the behaviours you'd expect in Borderless Windowed application. I can alt-enter until the cows come home, but it makes no difference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Would love to get back to full screen, too. Add unbelievably annoying desktop pop-ups that minimize your AMS 2 session in the middle of an online race to the list of reasons windowed mode sucks :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. vortex

vortex Member

If it's a borderless window, why can't I get SimHib overlays to appear? I have to start it with "-windowed -borderless" to get the overlays. It certainly seems to give genuine full screen for me.

10. Marc Collins

It's odd...like some sort of hybrid. You can alt-tab to other windows as you should not be able to, but then overlays don't work or, in my case, irritating pop-ups don't come over the screen as they should, they instead replace/minimize your AMS 2 ruining whatever session you are in. It's the worst of both worlds...

• Like Like x 1
  11. vortex

vortex Member

I don’t have this problem at all. If it was a deliberate decision by Reiza, I’m surprised that there aren’t more people complaining about it. If it’s always running a borderless window, I can’t see how the game could decide which non-game windows/overlays to allow and which to reject (if that’s even possible). Why give the option to run in a borderless window if that’s all it will do anyway?

12. Marc Collins

It's a window. Bordreless or not is just an aesthetic choice is it not? How does it not behave like a Window (allowing alt-tab, etc.)?

13. david surace

david surace Guest

This could be a windows thing, have you updated windows lately? More recent versions of Windows have done away with true fullscreen. You can test this by pressing the volume up or down button shortcuts and see if it draws the windows volume control on screen. You can also try disabling fullscreen optimisations on the game exe and see if that helps.

14. vortex

vortex Member

It's not just aesthetic. A borderless window fills the full screen but if you hit Alt-Tab, other programs running in their own windows will be overlaid on top of the game screen (which will still fill the full screen in the background). If it's running as genuine full screen, the game will minimise to its own smaller window along side any other windowed programs on the normal Windows desktop. Which of these do you get? Alt-Tab still works in both cases, it just has a different result.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marc Collins

Genuine full screen doesn't minimize or allow Alt-Tab. That's what I would like to have.

16. vortex

vortex Member

That’s not correct. Genuine full screen minimises to a window when you Alt-Tab. I have a number of older full screen games which do exactly this. A borderless window stays full screen in the background with the other open windows on top of it when you Alt-Tab. Look it up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marc Collins

OK, I believe you. So how do we prevent pop-ups from acting as though you have hit Alt-Tab? Because that is my problem--I do not want any pop-up of any kind showing at all let alone minimizing my screen while in a race session. Not an issue in AMS (1) or any other sim so far, but does happen in AMS 2.

18. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I think the term that is being desired is modal. As far as I know, this would be a change in the engine but it is possible. I know what you mean as I always shut down my email client when I played PC2 so an alert wouldn't pop up and freeze it.

19. vortex

vortex Member

If you don’t specifically need any background apps open (so leaving nothing to cause the pop-ups), you could write a batch file which closes them and then starts AMS2. You could also have it reopen the apps when you close the sim. Alternatively, if you’re not up to speed with batch files, you could try something like AlacrityPC which does much the same thing: AlacrityPC / Wiki / Home

20. Marc Collins

Oh, so this is an annoyance left over from PC 2/Madness :(

Thanks for suggestion, but I refuse to go to some extra bother for something that is built into most other games. By the way, we had proper full screen (as I call it) during alpha, so hopefully will get it back once things have settled down enough that Reiza knows it is not causing problems or making debugging more difficult.

• Like Like x 1