1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM2 -- My thoughts

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Micropitt, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I have used several games/sims in the past, starting with Forza7 then to RaceRoom, iRacing, AC, ACC and now, for about 1 week, AM2. Even though AM2 still is in beta, I'm hooked. I haven't tried all the Tracks and all the cars (there are so many) and haven't done any Multiplayer racing. But the cars and tracks I tried were very enjoyable. I'm mostly hooked to P3 and P4 cars and the screaming of the V12. And then there is the SuperCart. Boy, have I fun with that in Imola. The physics of the Supercart are so well done even in the beta release. Sure, there are still bugs that need to be addressed but overall, I love it. My hardware also is working well with AMS2. My wheel is a Thrustmaster TX which was detected by first startup and I enjoy a nice FFB in the default settings. Overall, I would rate AM2 as one of the top contenders under the sim platforms.
    That's all. Carry on :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Its a great sim but what annoys me is people saying its just pcars 2.5.
    I find this opinion is rampant in the sim community, even Jimmy Broadbent who normally plays and enjoys lots of sims said it feels like pcars 2.
    When i said its nothing like pcars 2 on his stream lastnight his fanboys in chat dished out the abuse in my direction lol, im a big boy and i found it their reaction funny but they admitted to never playing yet took Jimmys word as gospel, sheep following the sheep.
    I like Jimmy but i was surprised by this opinion especially as he plays codemasters F1 and enjoys it.
    Makes you wonder if he is just playing what/where the big numbers these days?
    To me AMS2 plays nothing like pcars 1 or 2.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@Cully - I agree with you. I have seen this on the ACC forums too; people saying it's a PC2 clone without even owning it.. Silly..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

To be fair, it has a lot of similarities with PC2. I'm not going to go into detail about it because that's not why I posted in this thread.

The issue isn't about PC2 at all. The issue is SMS. Basically, people dislike PC2 because they dislike SMS; not because of the title. They "claim" certain things are bad and/or unrealistic, but then claim the exact same behavior in another title is realistic. In short, people have opinions and the internet allows them to share it whenever they want to... Ignore opinions and use whatever sim/game title you enjoy. Life is too short to bicker online with short-sided individuals.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The thing is i did not enjoy pcars 1 or 2 , i dont like SMS either but AMS2 still plays nothing like either.
    Graphically similar yes but thats a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You've to see pCars and AMS 2 with this PoV:

You're in a restaurant with your family. You've invited your newly girlfriend, as well. It's time that the family meet her, cause you love her dearly. Anyway..During the dinner your mom says: 'She looks so much like your ex. Can't you get over her?'' Your brother nearly chokes on his food, your sister's face is like that Michael Jackon Popcorn-meme and your dad pretends he heard nothing. Your face goes red and you struggle with your words.. Then you say: 'she might look to same, but she rides me differently.''

• Funny Funny x 12
  7. LCH

LCH New Member

Creo que es un gran simulador y desde la ultima actualización lo siento genial , lo que me sorprende es que casi no hay gente online con la que correr algunas carreras, entro casi a diario no me encuentro mas de 20 o 30 personas online

• Like Like x 1
  8. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

PCARS2 vs AMS2 are similar in that they are two different driving sims from different studios that share the same Madness engine. In my opinion, Reiza sets the standard for title development and support in the sim racing genre. SMS? Not so much....

Agreed, Micropitt: I am liking AMS2 very much; although for karting in the sim-world, KartKraft is worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I started with WMD when the PC1 effort started. I did testing with SMS for all the updates after PC1 and PC2 were launched. My focus was specifically on physics (I'm a former Chief Instructor for NASA Pro Racing). I'm intimately familiar with the behavior of the SETA tire model so I feel all of the same characteristics in AMS2, which is a good thing. There are a number of things that the SETA model provides that older tire models do not.

EDIT: And FWIW, I fully understand that I look at sims differently so I don't expect everyone to notice the similarities like I do. However, you shouldn't discount others who do as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. 250swb

250swb Active Member

So what did your wife say? :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sometimes it would be better to keep the secrets... :D

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  12. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

Although to be fair, PC2's problem is really more with it's consistency. Some vehicles are good, some are question marks. However, without PC1 & PC2, you'd have AMS2 on rF2. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree, inconsistency is huge in that title, but I can’t find any good car...
    Maybe Rallycross are not so bad.

14. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I've driven, in real life on racing tracks, several of the cars in PC2.. Audi R8 Plus, Jaguar F-Type (which I own one but not the trim in the title but I've driven that trim), Radical SR3, Ginetta GT4, and a few others. I'm not a pro level driver (too old) so I don't have access to drive hyper cars or F1's, but while you might not like it, PC2 gets more right than it does wrong.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

In the past Jimmy had some really good things to say about PC2. Briefly, that the game was beautiful, the dynamic weather and time was amazing and it was spot in with VR.

Where he missed the mark in his video about AMS2, is his failure to recognize the potential of AMS2 and kind of casually poo poo’d it.

I’m confident he’ll revisit it at some point, but right now he’s probably focussing on the pro-events that are taking place.

AMS2 is pure potential right now. Continuous AI improvements, MP rating system, SP campaign more tracks, cars and racing series etc. are all on the horizon.

AMS2 is already very very good, and it has nowhere to go but up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

The youtube guys have been too critical. If the important youtube guys say they like it, it will be very popular. Then you will have more people online all the time.

Watch all the fanboys change their minds instantly if he does. Im a fan of Jimmy too, but this groupthink is kind of disturbing to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I just drove both sims yesterday. I know people have different feelings and sensations when driving a sim, but to say the the handling is similar is just silly, to me. You may like one better than the other, but that's preference and good on ya. However, these two sims are quite different behind the wheel. I enjoy both. They are both quite stunning. The in car view differs enough to where I don't feel like I'm in the other sim. The major difference for me is that I really connect with the car in AMS2. I don't feel like I chase it....most of the time. LOL I dig them both, but since AMS2 I don't drive RFactor2, AC,ACC, or RaceRoom anymore. Or very very rarely. Thing of it is, it's the lower class of cars I enjoy most. It's just crazy fun! The HotCars, the Sprinters, the Camaros, et al. Love em all. The Brazilian tracks are brilliant. Ibarra is my favorite. Off topic. My bad. Anyway, both are great. One is greater. Yet both are different.
    Disclaimer: My thoughts concerning the two sims are my own. I do not profess to be an expert on or at anything. It's just my observation.

• Like Like x 4
  18. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

There’s a content gap right now and players have already invested so much time and $ in iRacing, RF2 etc., the bias will be difficult to overcome. On top of that youtube creators have a $ interest in playing what people want to see.

The best thing us AMS2 fans can do right now is pound youtube comments and sim racing discussions, defending and promoting AMS2 as much as possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

That makes sense, I'm pretty new to sim racing. I was heavily into it 15 years ago when I was younger but life got in the way. So I am basically just trying everything without having much invested. AMS2 was a no brainer... I didnt even consider that aspect of it.

20. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

To me they are closed but its up to PC2 owner to get them close.

What i mean is tweaking PC2¹ FFB with all customs files out there had brought it close to what AMS2 stock is

Even some of the supposingly poorly executed cars could be dramatically improved with jack spade or alike custom files

Honestly i am enjoying both as well since cars and tracks line up re so different and kind of complete each other

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1