1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow is it with Karstens file v1.8? Im on 60.45.50. Are you getting the oscillation turning the wheel in the pits? did you change any parameters in the file? Im on:

(momentum_rack_scale 1.15)
    (reiza_rack_scale 1.0)
    (balance_scale 0.5)
    (exaggerate_front_load_feel 0.8)
    (details_lfb_blend 0.7)
    (bumps_lfb_blend 0.5)
    (large_lfb_blend 0.4)

(engine_scale_at_still 0.2)
    (engine_scale_at_speed 0.0)
    (road_rumble_scale 0.0)
    (scrub_scale 0.5)
    (kerb_scale 0.8)

#########################################################

2. Marcin

Marcin Member

Wow 75 is quite high for me dod you change anything in the file?

3. Shel Smith

Shel Smith New Member AMS2 Club Member

A very big thank you to both @Karsten Hvidberg and @NuScorpii...you’re hard work and support for the community is enormously appreciated. The custom FFB files have been transformative. You’ve made a great new sim even better. @Karsten Hvidberg...you will be missed!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Now that we have the final file from @Karsten Hvidberg series, I've sat down this morning and compiled all of the info I could locate in the thread to create a companion file to provide additional details on each of the primary settings that can be tweaked.

This file is NOT complete and it's also possible that some of my notes aren't entirely accurate, as there were a lot of changes occurring over the past few weeks that I've only been able to catch up with thru the information provided in this thread, instead of actual testing of the individual files due to my recent time limitations.

Any help with adding information or editing this file would be greatly appreciated! I've gotten several direct messages lately from forum users asking for help with individual settings in the custom files. I think this is as good a time as any to put something like this together.

Going forward, I can put a refined version into an Excel format to clean it up if that would be preferred, as it would be much easier to utilize once it's fully updated and plotted. Another thought, previously there was an incredibly ambitious push to make these files include individual settings for each wheel base to help users get dialed in faster. We could continue to push this idea forward thru this Companion file if this is desired and add some recommended settings per wheel base?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This is great! Thanks for your efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

New Heavy Messing update:

I and a few others had found that the traction loss effect on understeer situations could cause the FFB to go too light, feeling like too much grip was lost. Not great for improving lap times. So main aim of this update was to tone that back down to give a better feeling of grip. Same goes for loading and unloading of the front wheels. There was too much variance in the feeling of grip so toned this down too.

Main variables are:

micro_details - Road noise
    macro_details - Bumps
    rack_load - Weight transfer effects

The toned down effects can be tweaked with these:

load_scale - How heavy or light the steering will feel depending on load on front wheels
    adhesion_scale - How light the steering will go with loss of front grip, e.g. understeer

Also for lower power wheels try increasing the min_force from 0.01. Typical values are 0.06 to 0.12.

There were a few potential bugs that have been fixed too.

Change log:
    V2.3 Update:
    * Toned down traction loss and front load effects. Gave too much feeling of loss of grip on understeer leading to slower laps times.
    * Revised detail scales for better balance.
    * Tweaked bumpstops again and fixed a bug where an uninitialised variable was used.
    * Fixed a few small bugs that could potentially cause divide by 0 errors.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  7. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hi Marcin,

You can insert this additional line:

(momentum_rack_scale (* momentum_rack_scale (/ (* 1100 0.5) load_tot)))

right after the existing line that reads:

(load_tot (if load_tot_read load_tot_read (+ FL_load FR_load)))

It will make the momentum buildup equal on the cars, which you can easily argue makes more sence than what's in the file, that's absolute & does not take in to account that the rack prob. has some power steering etc in many cases.
    It will basically make the momentum force absolute for each
    Also it then works well for trucks too.

@Slapshot82 & everybody else: This might be useful for you too? I'm using it in my local file now.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Between 65 and 75, only reduced front load feel but not really noticed any difference.

• Like Like x 1
  9. F.Santos

F.Santos Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice work mate, as you said a more balanced FFB overall for sure. Good job!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

I agree,

Finally had time to race & gave it a go as well!
    Feels great! Awesome progress since the last I had a go at, and balanced extremely well!

& Damn it was good fun in a multiplayer P3 session, close race. Physics does not feel quite so realistic still, or maybe it's just the missing "iceracing" difficulty factor that I'm used to that's artificial..

Cheers

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi @NuScorpii , this file is top notch too, hard to tell these latest ones apart.
    This line - adhesion_scale - How light the steering will go with loss of front grip, e.g. understeer-
    is it higher number lighter steering, or lower number lighter steering?

12. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Man iceracing..... we're doing the 24h right now, havent played it much since starting with AMS2 and probably staying that way :) the driving bit and FFB feels really mediocre especially in GT cars..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Slapshot82

I've tested the difference between a file with the added line and one without with numerous cars. There seems to be a very subtle difference between the two, but I honestly can't really tell if there is a benefit for the added line on my wheel.

I'm going to start testing the Heavy Messing series myself soon. Wanted to get this dialed in before swapping flavors. :)

14. CycloZeb

CycloZeb Member AMS2 Club Member

yesterday big online session and I felt the braking that thanks to the sound. I quickly put back version 1.2 and the perfect one I felt everything again. I improved my times directly.
    I specify that I am in ts-pc because maybe in DD we feel very well the braking with the last files. But me with my steering wheel I do not feel enough except on the files before 1.3

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you so much Karsten Hvidberg for your efforts in making the FFB what it is now. & to F.Santos for changes that help it get even better, for me anyway. I think it is now definiyely the best it has ever been. I will now try NuScorpii's latest, and if it as good as his others, it will also be great. Thanks to all you guys who put the effort in to making the FFB what it is now.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Steve D

Steve D New Member

@NuScorpii @ @Karsten Hvidberg Have tried both of your latest files after another week away and what can I say? You've both moved the game on once again! It's so impressive how the subtle changes you introduce keep improving the experience for me. (SC1 DD user) Well done again and the Community and Reiza owes you a solid debt of gratitude for taking this sim to levels I don't think it would be at right now, without your hard work and dedication.

I'm also really happy to read that you appear to have settled your differences. The way I see it you've helped each other and then pushed each other to keep improving and the end results are there for all to see and benefit from. You're a 'dream team' fellas and all the best to you both.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Slapshot82

@NuScorpii Man, great job on the latest Heavy Messing update. It works fantastic right out of the box, with such a wide range of cars. The weight transfer and scrub levels are dialed in perfectly when the car is on the grip threshold in high load corners. To see how much extra control this allows, I took the Stock Car around Spielberg, dropped the rear downforce off the car and reduce the rear spring a little and was having a blast performing controlled rear power slides around the long corners! Not the fastest route thru a corner for sure, but it's dang good fun!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to try this later tonight, that sounds fun :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Slapshot82

Take the rear wing down to 1-2 and just go down a click on the rear ARB if you want (sorry, I said spring earlier!). The more you take the ARB up, the more rear oversteer you'll get, but decrease in wing on this car already does this to a great extent. That small decrease in ARB is just for an added bit of stability.

• Like Like x 1
  20. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@NuScorpii I completely agree with what SlapShot says above(#659). I realised today using your latest that I could actually feel the weight of the cars for the first time. All the fidelity is there, it is just pure delight. :cool:

• Like Like x 2