1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've created an advanced random combo generator to help some of us to enjoy AMS2 more

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Manohy, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Manohy

Manohy Member

********DESCRIPTION********
    Racecombo is a standalone windows desktop app that gives us unusual combinations of circuits/cars/weather/time through various parameters chosen by the users. This way users can better appreciate the simulator in use (graphic, races,etc.). This tool will help simulator enthusiasts to unlock the full potential of Automobilista 2 (AMS2)

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. PieroX

PieroX Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice app... but 15.60$ ? :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Manohy

Manohy Member

It's actually 13$, it seems to be simple but i've spent few months to create it. Also i don't expect hundreds of sales, just enough to maintain the development (development software licence, DLC for all the supported sims, etc. If I could I would give it for free.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 250swb

250swb Active Member

Just an idea but it may be better having ten people buying it for $2 than one person buying it for $13?

Charging in terms of time spent doing a job that involves levels of personal skill or work ethic rarely works out well unless there are strict criteria. An experienced decorator papers a room in one day and charges hourly 50% more than an inexperienced decorator who takes a week, which is the better value? In my business there are amateurs who try to charge exorbitant sums on the basis that 'it took me six weeks', but a professional would do it in three weeks for less money. As soon as a product goes on the market it is up against either professional competition or customer expectations that compare a product with a professionals standards. You can most likely write off genuine development and running costs against tax anyway.

That said it's a nice idea, I stare at the screen and end up with the same track and car combinations more than I should.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Manohy

Manohy Member

Just shipped a small update. Improved the "no light" notification. As for now (7/12/20), around 63% of the cars in Automobilista 2 do not have headlights. Those cars don't have headlight due to special specifications or simply not implemented yet. Racecombo prevents you from driving blind at night by signaling every car without lights during the generation of combos.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Help it is all getting to mutch, we need a "random option generator" for the "advanced random combo generator" :D

7. Pete Baldwin

Pete Baldwin Member

Seems like a decent app and I hope it works out well for you but personally, I'm put off by the price. £5 and I'd buy it but at the current price, it just feels like a luxury I do without.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wakey

Wakey New Member

Me to for a fiver :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Manohy

Manohy Member

Thank you guys for your interest. People are actually buying it at the current price. What I can do for you is to launch a free demo version with limited features to help peoples to decide whatever they want. Apart from the reasons mentioned above, the price has been chosen with respect to the value it could add to the playing experience for those who need this kind of app. Also the fact that it supports 3 sims at the same time ( AMS2, RRRE, ACC) influenced the price.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Manohy

Manohy Member

It's quite simple. You have 30 mn to spend with your sim. You say " I need a race with a slow car in a fast track, with a beautiful lighting and clear static (or dynamic) weather", with this kind of request the app can give you thousands (or millions) of possibilities... if you need a random everything there is an option for that also.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. 250swb

250swb Active Member

Except you've already flagged the problem, people get lazy, so selling an app that reminds people they are lazy reminds them they are lazy. Just advertising the app could negate the need for the app. So the added value is where you need to focus, a truly random set of parameters, that is easy to sell, and you then maybe look at ways to improve it further with other functions. Just an idea. The point is that starting out with a high price point soon becomes unjustified because people will copy you thinking it's a pot of gold, and when they undercut you it's you that loses. Then you have a problem when you try to compete back and bring your price down after many people have already paid far more. To stop competition in it's tracks and make the market happy there are two things, a great price that isn't worth competing with (not that you should make a loss), and for the product to match the happiness of the price. Here is another analogy, I once employed a gardener for three hours work, one hour was spent by him going home to get the tools he needed, but he still wanted to charge for three hours. If you get greedy you won't be employed again, if you get sensible you get referrals, you get a fan base, you have people thinking 'what the hell, I'll pay for that' after a night at the pub. Business sense and how much time you spent doing something are not directly connected.

12. Manohy

Manohy Member

Hello simracers!!! Here is a little collage of some onboard screenshot from AMS2. I was using the Racecombo's beauty feature that only generates beautiful scenes based combos.
    I hope you like it ;)
    BEauty.png

13. blanes

blanes Member

interesting but Pass ... make the price 'reasonable' and its a buy - try and shave my balls and I retract quickly ! :eek:

14. Manohy

Manohy Member

Thank you for the suggestion. Like all software, there will be limited-time price reduction later unfortunately not so soon as it will be unfair for the people who bought it at the actual price and find that the app worth the price. And some of them are from this forum thread. I understand that each person has his own way to evaluate a product or a service and I respect that. As a sim racing lover, I've myself bought various companion apps for various sim. Most of them were above 20$...For the moment I will make the effort to release a free version for those who want to try.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scoops

Scoops Member

“So if you feel a bit bored, this tool may help ( a bit ”

Sorry but I won’t be paying that price for a product that by the developers own admission may help a bit if I’m bored.

Appreciate it might do more than that but it hardly grabs my attention and the price takes it out of the “I’ll take a punt on that” range.

Good luck, hope it becomes a winner for you

• Like Like x 1
  16. Manohy

Manohy Member

Als
    Thank you for your input.

17. Manohy

Manohy Member

Hello simracers :)
    I have a piece of interesting news. The free demo version is now available. You can try the app before buying it. You can download the demo version from this link https://gum.co/racecombodemo
    Have fun

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

Someone could write a small program in Python to do the same thing in a terminal window. It could be done in about five minutes.

Your program is worthless, and you deserve only mockery.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  19. Manohy

Manohy Member

Thank you. I respect your opinion. As you can see in the description the first sentence is "Racecombo BETA is a standalone ( useful_/_useless) windows desktop app ", this app is targeted to some people, not everyone and I even repeat this kind of statement many times. I'm very happy to tell you that the app is actually well-received, better than I even expected :). I've put SO MUCH LOVE on creating this and it helps me to go deeper into AMS2 and the other sims. And I'm happy to see progressively that the users are feeling the same way.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  20. blanes

blanes Member

Even though I would not pay more than a little for such a program, I do applaud your courteous and positive attitude and fact you will persevere regardless ... Haters gonna Hate ;)

... Good Job Soldier ! Defend the Flanks & keep moving !!! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2