1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiplayer: Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GuiltySpark704, Jul 16, 2020.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

That's usually because they are in the last 3(?) min of qualy. You can't join if there is not time to set a lap even if you don't mind starting from the back.

2. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I've mostly being playing ACC recently whilst waiting for the AMS2 rating system to get up and running and some of the bugs to be fixed. Had similar experience to others in this thread with either wreckers or people leaving after crashing. Didn't help once that after I get wrecked and limped back to the pits it then disqualified me for apparently going the wrong way in the pits.

3. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

What I'm trying to do, is to find more drivers, and to have a place to race and let other drivers to know the cars. The Vintage cars are not easy, but incredible fun and challenging once you understand how to drive them.

As AMS2 have so many cars, it' difficult to find a server with enough drivers to have a race with the cars you like (whichever they are).

I want to thanks My friend Nando Ferreira who is sharing PSR server to host Formula Vintage races at Brasilia Outer. This track is very simple to learn, so drivers only have to concentrate on the cars and setup.

Later, if it this have some succes, we could have races at other tracks. It's not my intention to create a league, just to group some drivers, and maybe later a league could offer to host a championship.

• Like Like x 2
  4. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Its probably been mentioned many times before but the UI for MP could be a lot more user friendly.

5. Lucas Vieira

Lucas Vieira Member

I believe that till the MP ranking became active, as mentioned before, it will be like is now, few servers to join.

If Reiza implement official races like we had in Iracing, GT sport, PC2 and etc, every hour had a race with X car and Y track, probably its going to shake up the MP a little bit more.

I speak for myself. As i know the times from the official races on iracing, i plan myself to play that date/time, turn on the computer, register for the race, raced, had some fun(sometimes not that much), shutdown the pc and keep doing my stuff.

At AMS 2, its a little boring, because you dont know exactly when the race on MP public lobby will start, how many laps are, and usually there a lots of wrecking because there is no Ranking to penalize the turn 1 heros.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I spent a couple of hours checking the MP list and trying to host today without success. MP list is all high downforce stuff and noone wanted to join in the easier to drive cars I hosted that should provide closer racing. What's not to love about Copa Uno vs Copa Fusca at Bathurst :D Plenty of joiners yesterday when I hosted F Retro and most had left by T1 in the race... people don't know what's good for them!

I really hope that weather system gets revamped soon to. Horrible as a host to know exactly when rain is coming and what happens before and after. The only alternative is to have full random where it can go clear>thunderstorm>clear>fog.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the bigger issue is the success of this title on launch. If you look at the steam chart numbers, they aren't good. AMS2 has a 24 peak that is less than half of AMS1 and neither are very good numbers compared to any other sim out there.

Maybe its the ACC GT4 launch, maybe something else but it doesn't seem like folks are very happy with the game at the moment which leads to a lot less players. You'll have a hard time finding any multiplayer with less than 180 people on at any given time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 has an uphill battle with MP, but its content method doesn;t particularly lend to an active MP. A lot of cars, a lot of unfamiliar tracks, a wonky MP UI and of course not enough players.

There is no doubt in my mind that ACC holds the market right now with GT4. The buzz has been fantastic, its immersive and its compelling for new players and veterans alike. Gt4s actually satisfy some of the drive-ability complaints veteran players have, they are slower, less downforce, but ultimately more fun. The media buzz is unbelievable. AMS2 is a better driving experience for me still, no question, it just lacks polish and immersion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

My biggest bet is probably said big influencer on youtube saying AMS 2 is trash during Beta and a week or 2 ago. So people won't buy it, cause thinking it's a bugfest and a pCars 2 mod or so. Too bad such people have such a huge influence over people who can't form an opinion themselves. But this is just pure speculation from my side. The real diehards and simmers know AMS 1 is great and AMS 2 needs polishing.

AMS 1 was kinda crap on release too, but end 2019 it's a gem. It still has some quirks here and there, but it's one of the better sim to date. AMS 2 will get there as well. If only Reiza had lots of money then I would assume 1.0 was better than the 1.0 we had now, but Reiza must row with what they have.

MP will never be AMS 2 greatest strength. Thats AC and iRacing's side. AMS 1 and AMS 2 do and achieve other great things.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I disagree that the game is not a bugfest, because it is. It's not like Jimmy was able to manufacture those bugs in the stream, they are there.
    It was clear his mood went downhill during the stream but at least to his credit he repeatedly said it was only his opinion.
    The problem isn't his opinion, it's that people copy it blindly. Personally when evaluating a product I look at as many different reviews as possible to get a fair idea of the good and bad elements. Sadly it seems like is rare with the general public.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Damian Baldi

It doesn't need social media hype if the product is good. It's enough telling your friends how good is it, and how fun races are. BUT, before telling my friends come to drive and leave what are they using now, everything must be at least working well.

Currently it's very frustrating. If if doesn't improve soon, it will lose lot of momentum and it will very difficult, or it wil take a long time to recover.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Unless Reiza have altered the weather system you should not know exactly when rain is coming. Set weather to real time, select 2 weather slots and do a one hour race. The change in weather can be 10 minutes into the race or 50 minutes into the race. It is random.

If you prefer shorter races - say 30 minutes - and don't mind the possibility you won't get rain at all, then keep the same settings.

13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Man. MP is crazy. First someone locks his wheels so he rams into another. While he used him to take the corner he takes me out by purpose cause imma overtaking. 2 laps later someone has a slow down-penalty while I am going to overtake he suddenly steers to the left ramming me hard. 5 laps later 2/3 field gone. I just quit cause is not worth my time to hotlap in a boring lonely island with 4 other nitwits

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  14. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

A typical length for a casual pub race is something like 15-30mins of P and Q and 15-20min races. Like you say at real time the weather can change from slot 1 to slot 2 at some point within an hour but even at best case scenario you know it is changing from A to B within that time so simply no rain to rain or vice versa and the same over and over if you change tracks at the lobby and continue with the server (as you cant edit weather at the lobby screen.) If you get rain in that example you know it isnt going to stop and will carry on at the same intensity, there's no surprises. We need a chance of rain setting and/or some sort of logic to the random weather setting like user defined weather presets and incremental changes from e.g light cloud to mid or heavy cloud but not light cloud straight to thunderstorm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Don't forget there are a few old-aged newbies still finding their feet, waiting for better gear to arrive and patiently practicing against AI, all with a view to getting online and mixing it with the aliens. So I'm hoping that not too much momentum is lost before I feel confident enough to join online races without being "that guy" who wrecked it for someone else. And yes Mr Baldi, some of us have sights set on your Formula Vintage TT times.... one of these days. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Damian Baldi

Well, you bring a bit of optimism back to me, because I was losing it these days. It would be good to see more people online, even if they find difficulties to setup the car or complete the races. I think it's always better to share some laps in practice with another person than try it alone with the AI. It's a pity that the game doesn't allow to share setups directly and online, and that the chat is so primitive. That's a great way to share and compare car setups.

About the TT, I'm not only interested to beat lap times from some of the fast guys, but I found that that's the only way to share a setup, so I tried TT at the tracks that I find better for the Vintage cars.

I'll try to write some lines at the Vintage cars thread to share what I found about how to setup these cars.

17. Lukas Ranicar

Lukas Ranicar New Member

The track grip levels change from qualifying to race considerably too. So T1 is always a voyage into the unknown, doesn't help the carnage.

18. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I always jump into Damian's server to see whats going on. It was online tonight but empty until I was in the middle of a session with some guys racing Formula Classic Gen 3's, and ended up having a great time. I noticed between races there that Damian's server had suddenly filled up, but I was in the middle of a nice streak with the other guys. It was a small group, varied from 3-6 all night... but it was still fun. I'm always down for anything 1995 and older and F1. I dont know if I'll ever get into the sprint cars and stock cars, but old school open wheel Im always in.

I do get frustrated at some of the bugs that pop up, I had the hard right lock today on the wheel... not fun. First time for that. The tire pressure issue makes races with the Formula vintage a little frustrating. The Formula-Retros drive pretty great until you go over some kind of crest and then they head off the track at warp speed... Some of this can be adjusted... but some of these things just need to be fixed or mitigated by Reiza... Everything is just... so close to feeling just right. And even now, when I go back to AC or rF2, I always find myself getting sucked back into AMS2... the VR implementation is just so much better, and something about what hte physics get right is really satisfying.

I checked out your setup on one of the tracks we both race on, and I was absolutely amazed at how completely different your setup is.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  19. Damian Baldi

I tried your Brands Hatch setup, but I couldn't go faster. The M1 was too difficult to me there, I had to take the M2 to get a better time. However I think that track it's a bad combination for the G1 cars as they are today.

20. Koala63

Koala63 Member

An accessible voice coms method would be a massive help for us online racing virgins. As I drive solely in VR, text based chat is utterly beyond me. If there was a Discord channel or something where I could ask dumb beginner questions for the first few races, that would be great. I'll happily spend many sessions just trying to not crash into anyone and finish before the server shuts... and if I can manage to not get lapped, well that would be an achievement :D

• Like Like x 4