1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race penalties (returning position etc.)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Shadak, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Is the penalty system going to stay as it is right now when the ratings/safety comes in?

Mainly the position returns are weird. Both online and with AI, I've had incidents where I had to return position to someone spinning off where it absolutely didnt make sense. Does this even need to be in the game?

I got bumped into online and as a result he ended up off track instead of me (surprisingly) but I got a warning to give him the position because at the time he was couple of inches ahead of me.
    With AI, a lot of times Im on the inside, basically right next to each other, he wont give up the corner so squeezes me in, some times this makes the AI car spin out off track, again asking me to give back position.

I also touched a car infront of me as he started spining due to losing control because there was no where else to go. Again, had to give up position.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

also the "slow down" penalty after going outside track, is very annoying.
    I slowed down, and got hit by an upcoming driver.
    Why not just a time penalty after several crossings?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

yeah or at least show timer like iRacing so you can plan the slowdown a little bit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sonic469

Sonic469 Cobra Kai in game profile

I would like some clarification on how the slowdown penalty system actually works. Sometimes going in too hot in a corner and leaving the track losing time already, then getting a slowdown. How much to slowdown is a complete guess, even tried a complete stop on track vs letting off the gas for a certain amount. Does anyone have more info on how this penalty is calculated, this has ruined a few great already

5. Pete Baldwin

Pete Baldwin Member

I was hoping it would be fixed with this weekend's update but it's still the same. It's making multiplayer unplayable for me at the moment - 30 minutes practice, 30 minutes quali and then after a full hour of getting ready, I'll get pushed off at T1, get a slowdown penalty, let the whole field past me and drive off into the distance and then get given a 12 second penalty anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you mean the major update or the hotfix after that?
    There was nothing in the major but the hotfix had reduced slowdown and altered logic for penalties being applied for off track.

7. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Ok now the penalties are too lenient :D

We just tested it online and on hockenheim I could cut track all day and it would be fine, in the worst case we'd get a slowdown that just disappeared on its own even while going full throttle.

Everyone was asking for a fix but maybe this is too much? :)

8. lawgicau

I think it is track dependent and online it will obviously depend on whether penalties are turned on or not.
    Interlagos has some corners where you can run wide and be ok. I did an online Hockenheim race like you describe. Another at Goiania where they were draconian

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

slow down penalties are dangerous in online races: you have to stop your car like you would park it and the driver behind you might ram because he does not get any warning.

some warnings and later on time penalties/drive through penalties would be safer.

10. SaxOhare

My thoughts; I just don't deserve a slow down penalty if i go of track and don't gain time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. lawgicau

Agreed, although a human can easily determine this, it's very hard for a game to judge it properly, especially in a race when it may be to avoid a collision.
    Some work has gone into this in the two most recent updates and I think something more substantial is on the way. Fingers crossed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The only solution is to have Renato stewarding every online race :whistle::whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. SaxOhare

I didn't read the release notes, I was so happy to be able to load and save setups again, I immediately started driving.
    I trust the "Further revisions of penalty system & detection of cars to be ignored when going off track (ongoing development)"

14. lawgicau

I read it as a minor fix for now with a more significant change to come in one of the August updates.

15. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Just turn off the penalties. I havent had many problems with people doing egregious nonsense online, at least in regards to penalties. I've had FAR MORE PROBLEMS with the penalty system being unpredictable and causing more issues. Penalties ON makes multiplayer nearly unusable. Penalties off is absolutely fine so far.