1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car sounds are mediocre

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Paul Greenwood, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Paul Greenwood

Paul Greenwood New Member

I live in hope that it will mature its sounds.
    I love the VR in this sim and if it had the gritty sounds like ACC i would be VERY happy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 is in its infancy. I trust these guys though. I just upgrades my GPU, used the sharpness trick and the VR makes me want to vomit it so good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Quality and position of the sounds need work. Most or all engine sounds coming from the front of the cars.

4. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A lot of the engine noises seem to have sample aliasing artifacts, those warbling and cheeping noises as though they’re low bitrate mp3s

5. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

To me RRE and ACC put a lot of emphasis on car sounds and from the Sims I own I would say they are the best. PC2 is OK with a 7.1 set up but it feels bit too much generic with not enough tailor made sound by car.
    AC wasn't that great out of the box but since I installed CM last year then I started to download sound mods and it really helped with bringing that aspect close to ACC/RRE (not quite on par though)

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

ACC / RR do great at internal car audio but, neither is impressive (imo) in terms of replay audio. I think they could use environmental dynamics better to make replay audio much more exciting. Some of the best replay audio (imo) is in AC (Fonsecker sound-mods & RSS GT1 mod). Even in AC, F-mod shows it's strength in effective racing audio dynamics when used more creatively.

Of course, Kunos audio have evolved a great deal over time. During early AC development, the audio was fair at best but, they continued to improve their results very effectively over time to rise to a position on the audio-podium with ACC.

No doubt, a significant ingredient in Kunos success has been related to their access to real-world cars, allowing them to get high-quality recordings, then processed into excellent samples. They've clearly done a great job in how they include audio & performance data access in their licensing agreements. Direct audio recordings are a bit like having laser-scan track data for audio samples.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is also the issue of immersion vs realism. Listening to onboard recordings and from racing driver comments, some of the effects in ACC and R3E such as marble noise and suspension noise are exaggerated. And the amount of transmission noise also varies from car to car in real life. In some cars you cannot hear the transmission.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think of audio as a bit like FFB, it can enhance the experience and compensate for missing sensory input, like being shaken to bits. Imo it is as much about immersion as absolute realism when done well.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I think the pilot with the helmet doesn't hear sheet.
    What we think is the sound inside the car is the sound taken out of the helmet. Can the pilot hear so many structural noises, crunches, crushed grass? However, there is certainly a lot to improve in Ams2

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Plus, the driver is wearing earplugs in order to hear radio transmissions :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Absolutely! I've made a wind machine for my rig synced to the car speed. I know it's not 'realistic', particularly in a closed cockpit or helmet but the added immersion and increased awareness of speed is awesome :)
    Keeps me cool in the Rift too:p

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

There is a French guy at sector3 doing the audio if i remember well

i think he is doing a great job and he is interacting with the community which is a good thing

Please dont blame me for that but i dont watch replays considering little time i have to play these days so i am not too much bothered.

What is great in RRE for me as well is the amount of sound tuning you can do by yourselves in game if you are bothered by road engine transmission or whatver sound levels

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yes, I agree in regard to the audio tuning options in RRE being very beneficial.

14. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I thought you were joking at first.... are you serious? Wow!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Stevejack

Stevejack Member AMS2 Club Member

He's not alone, I think a lot of us have fans synched up to the vehicle speed - Sim Racing Studio is what I'm using. I love it as well, in VR especially. It can dry out the eyes a little, so when using triples I tilt the fans down more to arm level. Couldn't race without it these days, the only time I turn it off is when the ambient temperature is under ~13ºC and it's just too cold. It's well worth setting up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Yep, seriously a huge increase in immersion and cue to vehicle speed. I have 4 server case fans in an array so I can program the SimHub interface to give wind 'curving' too. I experience more or less wind force left and right to mimic turning G forces. A reasonably cheap DIY project using Arduino boards and cheap computer fans :)

• Creative Creative x 2
  17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hahaha. I cannot help it guys :D:D
    But dont misunderstand me.
    Im absolutely not patronising you guys - because I think your creativity is great.
    But I just got a picture in my head of as example former F1 drivers participating in streamed virtual races like Button or Magnussen and filling most of their "mans cave" with running blowers to get them in the right race mood.:p:p

ByTheWay: Yeah I was also supposing this wind generator thing must be a joke:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I made a wind generator as well, he will be 8 years old next week.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

OK congrats.
    Investing in sustainable energy gets my vote.:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I haven't hooked up anything as clever as a speed sensitive wind generator, but I do have a £5 USB fan running just above my monitor. I can vouch for the fact that it makes a significant difference to immersion, especially in VR. It's all about fooling the brain I suppose, but in terms of bang for the buck, that little fan is as good an add-on as I've found.
    Thing is, you look like a total d**k in a VR headset anyway, so a little fan in your face won't blow your cool, but it will blow you cool.
    Don't knock it 'til you try it ;)

• Like Like x 2