1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slightly mad studios a victim of gatekeeping?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pharaohramesesII, Aug 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pharaohramesesII

pharaohramesesII New Member

I have been recently following project cars 3 and it seems to be an interesting game that said i find it sad how people are already dunking on tittle they seem to just really want to create a unique ish game and follow their own path i recently left the total war franchise due to similar behaviour from that fanbase but i guess i could accept it as apart of the gaming world and just learn to deal with it.
    what ever happened to not judging a book by it's cover -_-

• Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Honestly the arguments are kinda written well. The game is made toward instant satisfaction. 3/5 lap races.

3. pharaohramesesII

pharaohramesesII New Member

i kinda like the idea of starting from from nothing to the next Sienna though start of with a beater road car earn enough cash to make it to the big leagues it reminds me of the old Toca series almost which is also kind of what you said perhaps they are trying to replicate that sort of feel.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

The issue, IMHO, is that the game had no commitment with reality and, still, SMS keep saying that it's a simulator.

I believe that it could be a very good arcade racer (that is a genre that lacks good games on the last 5-10 years) and it's not only very ok, but something that I want to play. They just need to focuses on their public and don't try to amaze everybody.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree... The outrage is also because they keep trying very hard to convince their old fan base that PC3 is a sim when clearly it is not. They have decided to dump their long time followers to take a different direction and that is fine but I think a more transparent attitude from the developers would have helped reducing the backlash.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JASON CHAMBERLAIN

JASON CHAMBERLAIN Member

I was all set to completely ignore PC3 until it hit me - I could have the Forza experience in VR. Forza is fun for what it is as long as you don't take it too seriously. I enjoy the career progression in those games. Doing it in VR sounds like a lot of fun to me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stickdeath1980

Stickdeath1980 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the internet age my man..I remember i'd go buy PC game at the shop classic win 95/98 then having to ring my mates or talking about stuff in the game we created our own Wikis lol

8. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Its frustrating because I really want to buy it. I love the idea of something like PC3, a new Grid type game, or a Forza Horizon type game with VR. But I also love my racing sims and I dont want to financially reward a company selling a racing "sim" that is this watered down. If this is successful that can open the flood gates for every other racing sim in the future to be super arcaded out and lacking features and realism...

We have a niche market to begin with. They're insulting the niche.

Call it an acessible racing sim or something... I dont care. If they're trying to sell it as a sim, I'm not buying it. If they adjust the target demographic, I'm in. Just a principles thing.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

I don’t understand all the bashing from the community. that said, If I was SMS, I would not used the name Pcars3 for this game. It is not a Pcars game as the community expects it would be.
    they worked hard for this game and even before it is released it gets bashed on forehand. The most of the complainers did not even played it. How can you give comments if you don’t know how it is. Perhaps it is a kind off a Grid like game but with great car behaviour etc. Who knows. Whe have to wait until release and try it ourselves. I bought it, will see if I like it. If not, I ask for a refund.:D

10. Rober

Rober Member

Well we know enough I don't have to test it I have seen a lot of things there that I dislike: tuning, experience points, a palette of colors that can cause a stroke, career like you are the new Vin Diesel rather than Alonso, AI without I, nitros...

The bashing is justified IMO they completely changed the genre not the direction and I'm pretty sure they knew it was coming. (if they didn't change the name) :oops:

What I don't understand is why people believe that if we like cars we have to enjoy everything with cars in it or every game with cars. Some do, others don't.
    I don't care about games like Grid or Shift or films like Fast & Furious or tuning or drifting :rolleyes:

I don't like fun (I'm super Po-faced) I like truck simulators :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bull Shark

The problem is, everybody expect a Pcars 3. This is not Pcars 3. Just another racegame. As said, I would not have used Pcars3 as a name for this game. :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

then you haven't been paying attention.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe so, but the name "Project Cars" is well-known in the wider gaming community because 1 & 2 sold well on console as well as PC. It's a valuable intellectual property.

Instead of numbering it the third outing in the franchise, perhaps Slightly Mad could have taken inspiration from Reiza's history and called it Project Cars Extreme. :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Bull Shark

Still the same. Still Don’t understand it. If the game is not to your liking, leave it on the shelve... :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Or Project Cars Arcade :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or Project Cars Shift... :D

• Like Like x 2
  17. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

^This! I think the outrage comes because people actually cared about PCar1 and 2. If you don't care about something, then it doesn't matter to you what happens to it (good or bad), you'll just nod "Ok" and focus on the things that matter to you.

Is there any logic to the backlash? Probably not, but logic kinda goes out the window when emotions are involved. The whole act of racing involves emotion, so it is natural there is some strong backlash to the decisions SMS made. I'm sure there are feelings of sadness, anger and betrayal amongst the fans that defended the PCars series in public when the game was ridiculed as simcade by other players that like AC or iRacing.

I agree if they just called the game Project Cars something else (grid, shift, go, revolution, etc) they would have been able to use the Project Cars franchise name and not get the backlash from the fans. I think this whole thing is a blunder in marketing and a lesson of what not to do.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

With SMS I had the same experience twice. I payed a lot for an unfinished game with unacceptable sounds abandoned much to soon.
    Before SMS doesn't proof for a better, there will be no more money from me.
    That's neither judging the engine nore the game being a sim, an arcade racer or anything in between.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

SMS
    Fool me once,fool me twice..i hate that Studio deep from my heart.:D

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.