1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why is there no one online?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by EmanueleMarra, Aug 24, 2020.

1. EmanueleMarra

EmanueleMarra Member AMS2 Club Member

why is there no one online?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

It's so sad :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

I want to know too. Difficult to understand why AMS2 multiplayer has such a small number of drivers.

Maybe because simracing market is already a bit satured. And most games are in it for years and have a loyal fanbase that is very reluctant to make a change to another new sim.

4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

There's peope online between 8PM and 3AM CET. Mostly due European and Brasillian people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

People are working? Or maybe not enough people in your region own the game?

6. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I've thought about that quite a bit myself, and I've come up with several factors that (at least as of now) severely limit the player base of AMS2.

a) Weak release. On release day, many things simply did not work. There were collision issues in multiplayer which have just now been rectified. The AI could be barely called such, and several cars had doubtable physics quirks. Even worse was the original release in April, where no part of the game was really serviceable, not even the driving.

b) Scorched engine. This ties into a). The madness engine is not an engine generally highly regarded by the sim racing community. Up 'till now, general consensus seemed to revolve around "Slightly Mad tried twice and couldn't get any part of the game to work, except graphics and weather, so it's probably useless". Then, Reiza shows up and releases a game which, during its first months of being publically accessible, seemed to confirm that impression. It's quite likely that many people tried this game for a few minutes on release and decided they did not want to bother.

c) Few unique selling points. If you're not a VR user, or have other special needs (like being reeeaaally into Brazilian Motorsports), you simply do not need AMS2. You've got Assetto Corsa and RaceRoom for bascially anything you'd want to do, except for driving in the rain. And let's face it, most people prefer dry conditions anyway.
    And not many people seem to be aware (or care) that this is currently the only sim on the market (except for PC2) where you can simply pick up and drive with friends without having to set up a server.

d) Relatively obscure content. Not that many well-known cars or tracks have (yet!) made it into the game, so many people most likely simply don't know what to do with the current car/track list. That might change with the GT3, Group C, and touring car packs.

e) To round this up with an example: I did play this game a lot, but I personally found it bothersome on many occasions, so even though I don't have any other simulators (because they don't properly support my input device), I could live pretty well with the fact that I might not play it for several weeks or even a whole month.
    This has only changed with 1.2.5 - three days ago. For me, the game has made an unfathomable leap with that update; nearly every car drastically improved in terms of driving, the AI is finally raceable (though still too inconsistent in terms of pace, and there is still room for improvement), and the multiplayer works perfectly.

If Reiza had unveiled the game as it is right now on April 1st, I daresay that people would have been blown away, and that we wouldn't be talking about low player numbers.
    However, for various reasons, that seems to not have been possible. So, I think that patience is the way to go. Word will spread. Reiza will add and improve to what's there. Hugely exciting content will be added to the game.

I hope that this will be able to overcome the "damage" that a subpar release and the relatively unsavory image of the madness engine have wrought, and that AMS2 will get the attention it deserves.

Because while there are not many "unique selling points", and there might not be until the addition of career mode, AMS2 could become the sim with the overall superior package.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Marius H

Don't worry. Once Nordschleife hits in October. There will be 10+ 24/7 lobby's cause it will steal those players from AC Nord lobby's. Me bet.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

There's nobody online because there's nobody online. It's a catch-22 situation. If you start the game and see few populated lobbies, you leave. Everyone else does the same, so there is never anyone online. Few people are going to just sit around on a server waiting for 10+ other people to just "show up". This isn't Call of Duty, random public lobbies aren't going to provide highly populated, good quality racing.

The solution? Find a community that offers regular, organised races which are advertised in advance. When everyone knows when to be online, they'll all show up at the same time. Voila, you have a race.

Tonight's race on RaceDepartment is a perfect example. Twenty-two people signed up and counting. That proves there are plenty of people out there wanting to race in AMS 2. They just need to be brought together in one place at the right time.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'll be giving MP a more serious look once we get the safety rating. I'm sure I will host (or less likely, join) the odd session between now and then though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

There is too many different cars for few users, that's part of the problem too. You end up racing cars you really don't like just because there is a server with 5 drivers as your only option.

With time it will change and players numbers will grow up, meanwhile a league or club races are the way to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Marius H

Most people only run Stock2020, Sprints, GT4, F1's. I am dying for some Trucks, Uno's, Caterhams, F-trainers, Vee's, etc

1. One of my idea's is Reiza putting two servers up or so and having a daily and/or weekly race where people can freely join. Or hourly races at picked times, like 6pm, 8pm, etc.
    2. Reiza can release such a feature where people can join ingame leagues/clubs. Like Dirt Rally 1. This can help lots I think.
    3. At last another one is joining leagues on Racedepartment, and all that.
    I think ''2'' with clubs like Dirt Rally 1 has my vote.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Sounds as a reasonable idea. Specially the regularity and the knowing in advance what track/car will be used.
    But it will not solve the participation problem.:confused:
    Just check Racerooms officially ranked servers where people are complaining about - yes missing participation.

ByTheWay: Another "issue" with AMS2´s MP list is that there is allways 100+ (slightly exaggerated :p) listed servers with 0(zero) participation. And often when I have checked then these zero populated "races" dont even have the "owner" onboard - eventhough they does occupy 90% of the list.
    Pretty goofy if you ask me.:rolleyes:

13. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not suggesting its a reason for total numbers online being low, but I do find it frustrating with the lobby not being clearer/more accurate with regards to the actual status of a session. I'd say it must be around 50% of the time I join a room but the 'Start' button top right is greyed out. I can only assume this is because its in between a session finishing and the next starting? But often I'll go out the room, wait a min and try again and still the button is not active - seeing as practice and qualifying are always timed rounds is it not possible for the server to know when the next session will start or display how long is left?

Like I say its probably not a massive factor in lower numbers online, but is frustrating when you see a car/track combo you are interested in, supposedly still in P or Q but just cant seem to join..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would be lovely to have 2 or 3 official server races
    That is 50% of the reason I don't race online often. The overall online experience in the public lobbies is terrible, from that reason you stated all the way to the bad behaviour on track, as well as an emptied out race after 1 or 2 laps.

15. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I am online almost every night and I will almost always find a race to join, I also like to Time-trial i check in between time-trial sessions if an interesting practice or qualifying for a race is going on

Factors that can stimulate me to join races

- announced or scheduled races (like the beta test races) so i can prepare for the race.
    - Open-wheelers or Prototypes
    - Tracks without chicanes
    - South-American and Historic tracks
    - A better knowledge of the server settings.
    - I would like to see my Time-trial records in the lobby or on a separate website, so i can choose the best car in the class used.

Factors that can keep me from online-racing or make me leave a lobby

- short races with no practice and/or short qualifying, especially with cars i seldom use (this is likely to decrease with time)
    - The forced use of default setups (I sometimes try to qualify, but i leave the lobby before the race start)
    - The use of driving-aids and the uncertainty of which are used by my colleague drivers
    - The use of AI to fill the server
    - Closed servers (Leagues don't post their passwords in the AMS2 forum)
    - Extreme weather or time settings
    - The need of third-party accounts/tooling to join a race

• Like Like x 2
  16. Marius H

Oh yeah. I would love to see how many minutes, aids and such a server has. Not when going into the server, but on the serverlist.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I believe Renato already hinted on this pending on the implementation of the rating system ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

What what!
    Are you me?:D
    Its pretty seldom I find a post that I 101% fully agree in.:p
    But you even posted some points/arguments that I didnt even know I had.
    Sorry I can only like your post 1x;)

19. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Should be easy.
    Meantime between sessions if I see player join I will type in chat "on timer or "between sessions" this has help a little but 3 mins or so Seems an eternity for the joiner.

I have hung around waiting to join also, after 2 attempts it just a killer.

Rather than race single player. I use ai online to race with 1 minimum set high enough for me to chase sometimes up to 10. It a least means theres a lobby up for anyone to join and Im not bored waiting. It has on occasion let to a 2nd session with enough people to have fun and leave out the ai. Problem is you have to leave the session completely to ditch the ai and reset.

Fits in with most of mine.
    All my sessions are open setup. Realistic aids only, cockpit view
    I will be running on beta this evening.
    10 pm uk Retros Interlagos Historic long 2 ai at 105/65. 15minP 10 min Q 10 laps
    1, to see if there is a difference between beta and main performance in Retro as indicated on another thread.
    2, Theres not enough beta testing online apart from official imo. Testers can organize our own once a week or so, as I have suggested elswere.
    Goffiks RD solution Is superb and will work for many.
    For myself atm I just switch on after 10pm uk and run a few races. More about time of day/evening convenience.

Edit 2nd race will be at Hock Historic or Silverstone No Chichane 1 AI
    Alls welcome. see how it goes

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Not to difficult put In the name of the lobby no/aid,ia,defsetup etc etc