1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your NVIDIA settings please?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Msportdan, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just wondering what settings, if your an NVIDIA user are you running? are you maybe using DSR, or SSGS in inspector?

Would like to know what people think please? Is DSR more efficient than SSGS?

Cheers guys

2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

fyi just updated my PC to the W10 Anniversary Update and all my settings got cleared.

3. mmaruda

mmaruda Member AMS2 Club Member

If you can, stay clear of the Anniversary Update for Win 10 as long as you can (just defer it, or turn update service off completely). It breaks all sorts of stuff, ranging from Inputmapper to deleting dual boot Linux partitions. I have yet to see a positve opinion on it on the interwebs.

On a side note, I got banned on DCS forums today for expressing my very unfavourable opinion on Microsoft. So much win.

As for NV settings, I just max out the AA options in the drivers settings:
    FFA ON
    Transparency X4
    AA X4
    Edge smoothing and gamma correction ON.

Looks pretty good.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. hex

hex Damage, Inc. AMS2 Club Member

Most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Are you gonna avoid Redstone 2 and Redstone 3 planned for next year too? Why didn't you stay with Windows 8 then?

That was actually epic fail, because your "opinion" is invalid, especially this: "It breaks all sorts of stuff".
    //EOT.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  5. Msportdan

I have no problems with the update although it broke my inspector and reset my sound devices. But nothing a reset didn't fix.

6. mmaruda

mmaruda Member AMS2 Club Member

Never had Windows 8. And it's definitely not the most ridiculous thing you have ever read - just think on it. All I am trying to say is, wait till they patch the update, if you can. Unless something is not working or broken, you don't need to always have the latest version of the OS, unless you specifically need the features it offers (like Bash), there is nothing in it for you. That is why MS put the defer option in tothe Pro edition - so you can wait for the patches to get patched again and work in a stable manner. The forced updates on Home editions are Microsoft's idea of free beta-testing. Hell, businesses don't even use Win Update, they have customised Windows distributions line Now2 or something similar that are only updated when a serious security flaw is patched.

And yes, I am going to avoid Redstone or whatever for as long as I can, until I hear it's stable and does not cause any issues. If there is anything 8 years working in IT has taught me, is if it's not broken don't fix it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. hex

You honestly think there will be a patch that prevents inspector from reseting settings? Good luck with waiting :)
    Force was unnecessary since Insiders were and are testing (including myself). The update had been postponed many times, and I guarantee you that things like "settings reset" aren't even considered as a bug, hence it won't be fixed by Microsoft and I quote: "It always resets the PhysX and SLI settings when a major new build installs." but you can always try poking NVidia to try and fix the problem :)
    K then. By the way: clean install (Windows refresh) is always recommended after such big update, but it resets all the settings. Oh the horror...

Seriously, EOT, because this conversation is pointless.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Msportdan

just like to add after the w10 update IE wont remember my saves passwords?!

Anyway enuf of this...

ANymore NVidia settings from you guys. Would like to know the consensus for DSR, INSPECTOR or NV CONTROL PANEL.

9. hex

There's no IE anymore after W10 update, mate. Jesus...

Pretty much Windows bashers all over the place. Why don't you guys use Linux instead? :D
    Gonna avoid this thread from now on, because there's ZERO arguments, but a lot of ignorant attitude.

Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  10. Msportdan

Edge whatever chill out mate ffs. What u the windows bloody preacher ! We don't need that here in this forum. Thanks now

This threads about ams and NVIDIA settings, no one cares about windows whether good or bad . Think ur on the wrong forum mate if u want to talk defending w10 rather the sim racing.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Msportdan

ok @Reiza Studios in rf2 in the plr file theres a line for texture filtering, turning it to 0 basically is like a lod clamp and rid all jaggies. As sgss has bad fps in particles and dsr is quite expensive in fps and the latest NVidia no clamp exe no longer works (unless someone knows how>) can we get this setting in AMS.- if poss

Dan

12. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Dan, I've told you several times we have one and it's forced on by default:

From PLR file.

Mipmap Adjust Mode="1" // 0 = Disabled, 1 = Clamp, 2 = Bias
    Mipmap Bias="-0.25000"

You keep talking about a LOD Clamp, this is a LOD clamp. Whether the rf2 filtering does something else I don't know, but there's a LOD clamp right there.

13. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

WRONG. There is IE after Win10 update. Just writing that message on IE with Win 10 ver 1607.
    If you like IE, just open it. Its here. Butt Dummies cannot find it, because it's not on the taskbar anymore. So lame.....

14. Msportdan

how can i adjust this then to stop the distracting shimmering that happens on the white lines. Can i reduce sharpness some how alex?

oh.

LOD bias

this is the line in rf2, and to me it looks a the same as your mipmap code

"Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

Maybe raising the Mp map bias will rid some of the shimmering, even if its a cost to distant detail. i take its already running at 0.0 cos of the clamp?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  15. Msportdan

One setting i never tried and just have seen from you guide, is the Xs setting in inspector. Is that more fps hungry than SGSS? Does it do better with particles etc?

Anyone use it here?

16. Msportdan

adjusting that mipmap line does nothing.

I've given up i went back to 4xaa and x2 sgss i dont even care that people say you need to match these two values looks ok to me. But replays in this game suck to be honest, they look good but omg the fps, on a game that looks the worst in the replays than most other sims.

but eh the poor fps doesn't detract from the driving for some reason thats smooth. shame as i like watching replays. i tried the HSAA settings and that crashed my system. As there is no clamp "that seems to work" I'm stuck with x2 sgss!

Why do replays take more FPS than watching from the same trackcam live?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016