1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Load cell pedals

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F1 Hero, Aug 28, 2020.

1. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

Do you think it is really worth upgrading my G29 pedals to a Fanatec Clubsport V3?

I'm so used to the G29 pedals, and actually I think I brake well with it. But sometimes I lock the tires (in all racing games I play), and then I wonder if a load cell would help me to solve this.

Do load cell make us brake as if we had ABS? Did you become faster with it?

Also, I would like to know if load cell pedals use to have glitches due to the dust that gets in it - something I face from time to time with the G29.

I'd like to know what load cell pedals owners think about these issues.

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Loadcell is always worth it.

The glitches are due the cheaper pedals use potiometers instead of hall-sensors.
    You will be fine with V3. They use hall-sensors. However, I would wait a few more months and go HE or Mecca Cups. Or any else similar. Fanatec is having troubles lately due Covid and other issues.

Do not buy used V3's. The market has exploded and prices are stupidly high.

With loadcell you use muscle memory, instead of travel-memory. Just google Are loadcells worth it and delve yourself in all the information. :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I had Thrustmaster T3PA and fitted an aftermarket load cell upgrade. Feel was great but pedal travel was too short. Now have TLCM which I'm really happy with. Uses quick change springs to alter the pedal feel.
    Load cell gives you so much more control under braking, I've yet to read about someone regretting the upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  4. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

But if you should choose between driving, let's say, a F1 car with a common brake (like the G29's) plus ABS, or the same car with load cell brakes without ABS, which would be your choice for being faster?

5. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I think you misunderstand a little bit the idea of the load cell. The load cell does not prevent you from locking up the wheels under braking. What it does is, it gives you a much better feeling on the brake and when you reach the point of locking up the brakes.
    Here is a link to a load cell mod for G29 and it explains pretty well what it does or doesn't do:
    https://www.ricmotech.com/Load_Cell_Upgrade_Kit_for_Logitech_Pedals_p/rmt-lc27.htm

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Micropitt

• Like Like x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Yes!

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

I went from the G29 to Fanatec everything and it’s worth every penny. The load cell brake makes you faster and more importantly consistent every lap. This is due to the load cell making you use force and muscle memory rather than distance on a pedal memory. I struggled with the g29 pedals, I could never be consistent because of the way they work and they are not similar at all to driving a road car.
    After a couple of weeks of having the LC pedal, I then found myself turning off the ABS assists on all cars in all sims and now my lap times were even quicker. This is all because the LC feels natural, it makes sense and is far closer to driving a normal car than the g29.
    Long story short do it!
    I’ve never had glitches with my pedals and I’ve owned them for close to two years. I clean them every month to stop the throttle from squeaking ( I also use lithium grease to keep it smooth ) and to stop them getting filthy. Because of all the electricity going through my rig, it’s a magnet for hair, dust and fluff. Look after your rig and it will look after you! The fanatec pedals are so easy to take apart, clean in every nook and put back together again.
    I live in England and Fanatec orders always land on my door step 72 hours after I purchase them.
    Hope this helps with your buying decision.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. vortex

vortex Member

Fully agree. The T-LCM pedals work well (load cells all round unlike the Fanatec Elite LC pedals) and are particularly good value for money.

My understanding is that this isn't a loadcell mod, it uses a linear potentiometer with a damping system.

10. Micropitt

But it gives you a "load cell mod like experience" according to the review from Sim Racing Garage.

11. vortex

vortex Member

The fact remains that it uses a potentiometer which ultimately gives it the same weak point as every other potentiometer-based pedal. The other main disadvantage is that there's no adjustment possible with it.

12. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

On this subject, the rubber conical section of the T3PA made the feel better than the G27 pedals I has before that, but still not as good as load cell. I imagine this other mod would be similar.

13. Micropitt

You can't have everything for $65.

14. Marius H

Just go all in or not. Ditch the current pedals, and go V3's or wait a few months for more money and go buy better. Buy cheap and it will only make you sad. Finding a middle way and it will make you poor, cause you losing more money in the run.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Have literally just done this myself , managed to finally get some Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals . For £190 I think they are excellent value and really pleased with them , g29 pedals were good and they have served my well for the last five years but definitely have more control over my braking now with the big increase in input resolution .

16. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

I’m thinking to upgrade from the CSL Elite pedals with loadcell break to the V3’s but don’t know iig the difference is that big... :whistle:

17. Marius H

Go directly to HE or Mecca Cups. Fanatec has lots of problems at the moment. If I may believe the forum.

Or take a look for a good deal on Marktplaats, but the prices have been raised lots due Covid.

18. Micropitt

Prices here in the US are insane for sim racing hardware. As example, you can not buy the T-LCM pedals through regular retailers (out of stock) but you find them on Amazon for double the price. Fanatec seems to have similar problems (at least here in the US).

19. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

I was looking at Heusinkveld pedals to go with my DD2, but I’ve read on forums including AMS2 forums, that some sims won’t recognise the pedals if used with a Fanatec wheel base. That has put me completely off buying them until that gets resolved in AMS2. Fanatec products work with every sim I have, I’ve never had issues and that’s one of the big reasons I stick to their eco system, everything is literally plug in and play with zero fiddling or grief.

20. Marius H

I am using it fine. Use Custom Wheel. Go to edit assignments, bind everything, calibrate wheel + pedals, go to FFB and set your FFB. BOOM!! Race Race Race Baby!