1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real-time and Offline Telemetry and Race Strategy tool for AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Iko Rein, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Iko Rein

Iko Rein Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi,

Over the years I have developed a Telemetry tool for the F1 series. Lately I have added other games, which I actively play myself. As I already had added Project Cars 2 support, I decided to also add AMS2 support, which I have now played some 75+ hours.

This is the tool to make you drive faster regardless of your driving level.

The tool can be used both offline and real-time to analyze telemetry data, car behaviour and race history.

Key features:
    • Compare your own laps (speed, controls, forces, line driven etc) in few different ways
    • Compare many laps at the same time
    • In real-time map see position of other cars + the pit window (i.e. where you will land after successful pitstop), same map can be used in offline to see the driving lines
    • Extensive data for race, fuel use averages (also per fuel mix mode), how long the tyres will last etc.
    • Very accurate time Delta to other cars
    • Race history, which you can also save for later viewing
    You can find more data from RaceDepartment at Telemetry Application Version 10 for AMS2

Before installing, read the ReadMe.txt inside the .zip packet.

Cheers.

Some screenshots:

Telemetry:
    V10_AMS2_new_telemetry.png
    Multilap telemetry
    V10_AMS2_multilap.png
    Mapviews
    V10_AMS2_new_map_Car_Info.png
    RaceInfo
    V10_AMS2_race_info.png
    Racehistory
    V10_AMS2_race_history.png

• Like Like x 14
    • Winner Winner x 5
  2. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for your work, I will try this out this weekend. If I like it I will donate.
    I just spent the $15 on RST yesterday and it seems ok so far. I've had a few sudden crashes but it picks up the data ok.
    One problem it has is lots of the graphs are incorrect unless you manually input the car dimensions/setup. Does your software have any limitations like this?

3. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Looks interesting, I'll give it a try

4. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

Congrats for your work. Seems to be a very good tool.

5. Iko Rein

No need to enter anything manually. I am relying on the data from the game's UDP feed.

In old versions you had to do plenty of stuff manually, but it was just a pain to remember to select the team/car etc.so I moved out of that.

I know RST does some stuff, my tool cannot do as they have such a strong car setup focus.

My focus is more on the actual driving inputs and how they affect the laptime and car behaviour (real-time and offline analysis), visually seeing where in the lap you are consistent or not (multilap + DriverDNA) and on understanding the race situation (Race history, real-time or the offline loaded lap history) and enable you to act as your own race engineer and help on making good race tactic and strategy decisions.

And if you are in a higher leagues and have dedicated race engineer, you could actually send the data to your race engineer residing somewhere else. Some eSport teams/League racers have done that with my tool. The tool lets you redirect the data to other locations, where they could be running the same tool.

One cool feature is that during driving you can change the active view by pressing one of the buttons on the steering wheel/controller. You can see the active buttons on the 'Raw Data' view and then set the correct button via Settings -> General settings. And there you can also set, which views are included into the "rotation". In normal racing mode, you might just have Map, Race Info, Race History and maybe Timing in rotation so no need to skip unneeded views. And often in Quali I have the Telemetry view on, so I can immediately see where I am losing/winning agains my fastest time.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Micropitt

What I like about your app is the "Race Info" overview. It gives a nice clear picture about the laps driven including sector times. That is pretty useful.

7. Iko Rein

Yep. That is the view I have most of the time open, when I am racing. I have tried to make it clear to see the key data even when racing.

And if you are trying to be really stingy with fuel, you can really optimize to have 0kg when crossing the finish line. And when there is need for refueling during the race, you can use the excess fuel to decide, how much more you need to refuel.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Micropitt

Already thinking about adding a second monitor just for that..... :whistle:

9. Iko Rein

I can only recommend that. I have as a second monitor a cheap Dell giving 1280x1024, which I rotate 90 degrees sometimes to read or edit longer texts. But it is just sufficient for my usage.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm currently testing this, Secondmonitor and RST. So far I wish I could mix elements from all three!
    On this, I'm having UI issues. The track map is cut off as if I've zoomed in yo crop it. Zooming out makes it smaller but half is still missing.
    I will continue to test. As you mention I'm more focused on driver inputs vs lap time rather than car setup so that appeals to me.

11. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is a lot of graphs available in RST and more to come in the huge update till the end of July. According to developers, car parameters and setup files are both encrypted and that's the reason you must manually feed them.
    RST software automatic fill parameters for pCars2 only, wich give some hope for us running AMS2. All the other titles need manual feed. Some like R3E and ACC have a car parameter database to download via Discord.
    And of course, any app using API data to present them don't need any additional user inputs to work.

12. Iko Rein

Just tested this and if you open the map view as a new window and your main window is pretty small, and the map view is much larger than the main window, you might/will get the "cropping". You can still drag the map around from the "shadow". Easy way to test this is to open the map window as maximised, then reduce the size of the main window (the one with the pulldowns for tracks/views), the cropped area changes.

So short term solution is to a) have the main window and map window near the same size (the map's canvas is actually 2x the width and 2x the height of the main window).

If you use the controller button to change the views (Settings --> General Settings --> "Controller button to change the tab"), you also don't need to have several windows open, as you can change the view while driving with the assigned button from steering wheel/controller. And for Offline analysis you could keep the main window maximized in the background.

Longer term solution will be small adjustment by me on the code to keep the size based on the window size.

Cheers.

Small update: This was actually a typo/bug in the code. The width of the cropping was wrongly tied to the main window, but height cropping was tied correctly to the height of the window. Fixed this and it will be in the 10.1, which will be released the ACC DLC is out, i.e. in few days. Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Iko Rein

• Like Like x 2
  14. Iko Rein

Just a quick heads-up.

I have been traveling last 10 days and will be on the road next few weeks. I just noticed that the Hockenheim tracks have been released. My travel laptop is so old, it cannot run AMS2, thus making trackmaps is bit hard. I am getting some help on getting the base maps done and hopefully can provide a small datapack containing the base maps for Hockenheim soon. Luckily the tool should work without these on the new tracks, i.e. the tool will notice new tracks + will create basic track map based on the first clean lap on the track.

Cheers.

15. Iko Rein

Hi,

With AMS 1.0.2.5 there were many renamed tracks in the data, but I didn't want to do new release now just for the file name changes. In 10.2 I will need to do some extra work to make sure, in the future a name change from Reiza is easier to handle.

You can download the AMS2 new trackmaps + the updated tracklist from
    IkoRein.com, Telemetry Application AMS2 downloads

Just unzip the contents (ams2_tracks.csv + .track files) to the tracks\ams2 directory and replace/update the files there.

With this there is small caveat: Your fastest laps will not show on the renamed tracks. For the time being you have to rename them by hand, e.g. 'adelaide_historic_p.csv' --> 'adelaide_adelaide_historic_p.csv' to make the tool load the correct fastest lap. In 10.2 I will fix the need for renames.

Cheers.

PS. the track file renames are listed below:
    ===================================
    adelaide_modern --> adelaide_adelaide_modern
    adelaide_historic --> adelaide_adelaide_historic

brandshatch_gp --> brandshatch_brandshatch_gp
    brandshatch_indy --> brandshatch_brandshatch_indy

brasilia_full --> brasilia_brasilia_full
    brasilia_outer --> brasilia_brasilia_outer

cascavel4_cascavel5 --> cascavel4_cascavel

interlagos_gp --> interlagos_interlagos_gp
    interlagos_historic --> interlagos_interlagos_historic
    interlagos_outer --> interlagos_interlagos_outer

kyalami_gp --> kyalami_kyalami_2019
    kyalami_historic --> kyalami_kyalami_historic

montreal_modern --> montreal_montreal_modern
    montreal_historic --> montreal_montreal_historic

santacruz --> santacruz_santacruzdosul

snetterton_100 --> snetterton_snetterton_100
    snetterton_200 --> snetterton_snetterton_200
    snetterton_300 --> snetterton_snetterton_300

spielberg_modern --> spielberg_spielberg_modern
    spielberg_short --> spielberg_spielberg_short
    spielberg_historic --> spielberg_spielberg_historic
    spielberg_vintage --> spielberg_spielberg_vintage

taruma_internacional --> taruma_taruma_internacional
    taruma_chicane --> taruma_taruma_chicane

velocitta_trackday --> velocitta_velocittatd
    velocitta_clubday --> velocitta_velocittaclubday
    ===================================

• Like Like x 2
  16. viper4r

viper4r Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the Update and the list of changes.
    I need it for our project, too.

An additional info:
    - "Imola Historic 1972" had the SharedMemory name "ImolaAMS2 Imola_GP_1988" in the past, which is the name of the 1988 layout. It is also fixed now.
    - All three Interlagos Kart layouts still have the SharedMemory name "Interlagos GP", which was also the old name of the GP layout before they changed the name. It is a bit strange that the layouts of the main track of Interlagos have been updated, but the Kart layouts have not.

Side note:
    It's annoying that we as developers of API tools have to find out about such changes ourselves, because these changes are not listed in any changelog.
    In this case you have to load every track in game and check the API name, which is time consuming.
    The DS API has a better solution. First of all there are Track IDs, if the API tool use these IDs a name change is not a big deal. And further you can list all track names without starting a session on every track.

17. Iko Rein

Hi,

Yeah, I would love to have at least an ID per track (F1 games + ACC do it that way).

Luckily with AMS2 there is the carId, so the cars can be identified with it. (In Dirt Rally 2.0 I had to resort to max gears, idle revs + max revs to detect the cars).

I didn't notice the Imola Historic 1972 change, as I was fixing it in the tool. Now I can remove the fix for that.

Also for Interlagos Kart tracks I am doing a fix in the code based on track length. I am relying that they don't change the track length on those. Code below

================
    if (sTrackLocation.equalsIgnoreCase("Interlagos") && sTrackVariation.equalsIgnoreCase("GP")) {
    if (1122 < sTrackLength && sTrackLength < 1123) {
    sTrackVariation = "InterlagosKart1";
    }
    if (1119 < sTrackLength && sTrackLength < 1120) {
    sTrackVariation = "InterlagosKart2";
    }
    if (698 < sTrackLength && sTrackLength < 700) {
    sTrackVariation = "InterlagosKart3";
    }
    }

================

Cheers.

18. Iko Rein

Just a small heads-up.

I will do a new version with the track name fixes + some fixed tracks maps + new tracks + some AMS2 related little fixes, when the next version with Nürburgring is released.

If in the mean time you really, really need the new Kart track maps (speedland/buskerud) or the Short Hockenheim 88, let me know and I will drop you a link to get those.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Iko Rein

Posted just a new version of my Telemetry tool to RaceDepartment.com.

The new version has the new trackmaps + all new data from last few releases.

Notable AMS2 related additions/changes.
    • Added trackmap for Hockenheim 1988 short, Buskerud x 2, SpeedLand x 4, Nurburgring x 4 & Nordschleife x 2
    • Added new cars data from the update v1.4 & V 1.5
    • Fixed Granja Viana Kart track maps
    • Renamed once more all track files and build the system so, future track name changes in the game will have less effect
    • Small AMS2 related fixes here and there
    Notable other additions/changes
    • Added to Telemetry Tyre temp + tyre pressure traces. These are also now saved to the lapdata files.
    • Tyre temps + pressures are also available in XY Plotter and Histogram.
    • Map can now display also texts for each turn, like turn names.
    You can get the latest version from
    Telemetry Application Version 10 for AMS2

Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Iko Rein

New version is at the RaceDepartment.

Notable AMS2 additions
    • Added Shmem-to-UDP relay for AMS2 (and PC2). This takes data from the shared memory and sends it via UDP to the tool. Shmem provides more accurate data for many traces, namely the temperatures, distances/positions and speed of other cars.
    • Added support to save GHOST lap basic data (Speed + timetrace). This requires you use the Shmem-to-UDP relay. It will save GHOST data as files, you can use to compare with your own laps. Also the fastest GHOST from the selected GHOSTs will be set as BLUE lap (if you have set that for the BLUE lap).
    Other additions
    • Added game specific settings page for AMS2. Editing data there will also adjust the relay settings, so you don't need to edit the file.
    • Added trackmaps to the new tracks, including SPA.
    • RACEINFO: Added "time lost due to pitstop" field to the laptime section. Also added text showing how many pitstops and how much to refuel during those pitstops to make it to the end.
    • DRIVING: Replaced the "Turbo" bar with "Torque" bar, as I think torque is more useful in AMS2 than the turbo value. Also added Horsepower data.
    • DRIVING: Added to driving more tyre temp data + a slider for the tyre wear fractions. Handy when trying to learn how your driving affects the tyre wear.
    • RACETIMING: Added PitS field showing how many pitstops each driver has made during the session.
    • STATISTICS: Added some new data, including average fuel use
    Check the ReadMe.txt for more info.

You can get the latest version from
    Telemetry Application Version 10 for AMS2

Enjoy, and get faster.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 2