2 generic questions from a noob

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Diego Balzarini, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Diego Balzarini

Diego Balzarini Member AMS2 Club Member

Ciao everyone, could you please spare 2 minutes to explain to a noob like me a couple things?

1- Why not all the resolutions in config have the option wide UI?

2- I can't really see the difference between sweetshaders fx on or off, i have no idea what to look for and my old eyes can't spot any difference.

Cheers

2. Tommi

Tommi Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, Diego.

* About Question 1, it is because we don't have to use "Widescreen UI" with "Non-Wide resolution" in Automobilista, I think.
    As it is known, "Wide" or "Non-wide" is distinguished by the "Aspect Ratio" of the resolution.
    I uploaded several pics for explanation.

<Pic 1: Wide (16:9) + Widescreen UI Off>
    AspectRatio_01.jpg

<Pic 2: Wide (16:9) + Widescreen UI On>

AspectRatio_02.jpg

"Widescreen UI" makes sense in this case.
    On the other hand,

<Pic 3: Non-Wide (4:3) + Widescreen UI Off>
    AspectRatio_03.jpg

You can see that we don't have to use "Widescreen UI" with "Non-Wide resolution" in Automobilista.
    It might be the reason the dev disabled "Widescreen UI" for "Non-Wide resolution", I think. :)

* About Question 2, it is because the dev added "very mild" SweetFX effects.
    Sometimes. both (On & Off) look almost the same. But the SweetFX effects are working for sure.
    Please compare the following two pics.

<SweetFX Off>
    SFX_OFF.jpg

<SweetFX On>
    SFX_ON.jpg

We can see the mild HDR effect with "SweetFX On".

By the way, Heroflex shared his custom SweetFX Preset on Steam Community Forum here.
    (Thanks to Heroflex! :) )

Alternate SweetFX preset :: Automobilista General Discussions

Here is a screenshot with his SweetFX Preset On.

<Heroflex' SweetFX Preset On>
    SFX_Heroflex.jpg

We can see the noticeable difference from the default presets.
    The installation of Heroflex's SweetFX Preset is as follows.

*** Installation ***
    1. Please go to the following directory, and make a backup of the original "SFXOn.txt" file.
    (e.g. Renaming the file to "SFXOn_Backup.txt" is easy and simple.)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Automobilista\SFXOn.txt (Default)

2. Go to the Heroflex's web-page on SweetFX Settings DB website (linked in his post on Steam Forum).

Automobilista: Alternate shaders V1 - Automobilista

Click on "Download preset" button below, and download "SweetFX_Settings_Automobilista_ Automobilista- Alternate shaders V1.txt".

4. Rename the downloaded "SweetFX_Settings_Automobilista_ Automobilista- Alternate shaders V1.txt" to "SFXOn.txt".

SweetFX_Settings_Automobilista_ Automobilista- Alternate shaders V1.txt => SFXOn.txt

5. Then put the renamed "SFXOn.txt" into the original directory.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Automobilista\SFXOn.txt (Heroflex' SweetFX Preset)

6. Launch Automobilista and enjoy!

That's it. ;)

If you don't like it, please restore the original "SFXOn.txt" from the backup.
    Hope this helps. :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Tommi thanks for the SweetFX explanation (and additional settings), I have looked very closely with screenshots between the two but cannot see any difference whatsoever with the standard SweetFX on/off, it's been this way since the very first build.
    I'll try the Heroflex one and see if that helps :)

4. Diego Balzarini

Diego Balzarini Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you @Tommi for the explanation. I took 2 screenshots in game with fx on and off and looked at the difference. Cant spot much of it, probably because my eyes got used to overdone hdr pics. I'll a look at the steam forum.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tommi

Thanks for your reply, MarcG.
    Yes, I agree. The original SweetFX effects are very mild. And by switching both pics, we can see the difference between SFX On & Off. It slightly increases the contrast and make the graphics look sharp.
    And I have an impression that Heroflex's SweetFX preset enhances the contrast and adds less saturation. I think Reiza's base graphics improvements made Heroflex's SweetFX preset possible. I'm glad if you like it, too. :)

6. Tommi

Thanks for your reply, Diego.
    You are not alone. Both look almost the same to me, too. ;)
    Reiza added several graphics improvements, and SweeFX is a part of them. Not significant, but the graphics was improved from SCE.
    As already announced, we have to wait for the next Reiza17 for further improvements. I look foward to the new graphics in the next title. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. P*Funk

P*Funk Active Member

My taste is that Hero's are a bit too washed out. :p

Sadly there's no substitute for proper HDR lighting.

8. Tommi

Thanks for your reply, P*Funk.
    Yes, I have the same impression. The lighting and the contrast can be displayed very nicely on my monitor. But I need a little more saturation.
    It might depend on the monitor in most cases. I'm going to edit the preset to my taste.
    About HDR lightings, sadly yes atm, but I/we have a big hope for the future! :)