1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera too bumpy

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by WhippyWhip, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Freeway

Freeway Member

I know this isn't the most cost effective response but I will put it out there anyway. I personally have found the best way to minimize motion sickness in VR is to use a motion platform that synchs up with the movement. I use the NLRv3 (seat mover) and it makes a HUGE difference.

2. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a ProSimu P5MP and both in VR and non-VR the head movement (camera) is simply too bouncy. The car movement on the motion platform is fine, there is something incorrect with either the cockpit view or the helmet view where it moves too much even if the settings (Gforce, etc...) are all turned off.

To prove there is something wrong, if you back up your camera far enough where you can start seeing the uniform and the inside the neck and you slammed the break hard, you will get "closer" to the neck which means the camera is still "influenced" by some motion even when it shouldn't.

Hopefully, this issue of "too much movement" on the cockpit camera (I don't know about other ones) is looked into by developers, there is something off for sure... being on a motion rig, confirm the telemetry of the car and the "camera" have separate intensity and frequency when it comes to bumpiness...

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Freeway

Freeway Member

I will concur that the movement is overly exaggerated in AMS2. Just wanted to point out that synched motion can help mitigate the effect (though it will not eradicate the effect AMS2 due to the overly exaggerated movements in game).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eduardo Beninca

Eduardo Beninca New Member

Seems that WM at 100 makes the cockpit static but the track shakes like hell, making me a little bit sick, otherwise changing to 0, the cockpit is bouncing and the track is almost static, it helps to reduce the sick but when you have elevation changes the camera moves up and down and you can't see the track.

I hope the problem really is on the High Speed Shake.

5. Eduardo Beninca

Eduardo Beninca New Member

@Heitor Facuri Cicoti talvez seja só questão da opção para desabilitar o high speed shake não estar funcionando, creio que vale a pena dar uma olhada nisso, pode ser mais simples do que parece.

6. 250swb

250swb Active Member

As with real life motion sickness for me the ability to see the horizon is the difference between feeling motion sick in the game. So I set the seat so I'm seeing well over the steering wheel and this is all I need in most cars. But it's the impediments you get with modern cars that cause me to feel nauseous,such as aerials or the halo in front of the driver. Unlike real life you can't focus past them, you are still only focusing on a two dimensional screen so even though you can ignore them easily enough as they move in your field of view they stay in focus causing nausea.

I think only an option to remove these items individually would work, whether that would muddy the level playing field is the issue.

7. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

for me its one of the last things driving me nutts with the game.
    On track with severe bumps and using some open wheelers as reference car, its so shaky that the game is barely playable.

and I am on monitors, I can imagine people on VR:(

To me PC2 wasnt showing the similar issue at all so hopefully the devs will fix it soon:)

8. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Even in rally game with my VR; I have less shake. This is ruining my gameplay than everything else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Most of the VR users are in half VR, like @Freeway said, you should be in Motion VR as well and synchronize the motion platform with movements of the car in game, then your body get the right information to react on what your eyes are seeing.
    By using VR only for your sight in a moving enviroment you are creating a slight form of virtual Meniere's disease
    Like a camera needs stabilization control where your eyes can trust your body to get a steady view while moving.

I have no problems with world-movement at 0 playing on Monitor, other than sometimes the game can't keep the world-movement at 0 on inclining or declining parts of the track

10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I fully agree that this is more or less ruining the game - and personally I will vote with my feets(wallet :cool: ) if this doesnt get solvet in a reasonably short time.
    But my conclusion is that its a bug that has nothing to do with High Speed Shake.
    Because eventhough all users of this game by garantee have set the settings for High Speed Shake to zero(0) :whistle: then just check out that even if you raise this setting to max value it doesnt change this idiotic shaking much.;)
    This bug is probably the same bug that makes the car hopping and shaking up and down when the car is static.

ByTheWay: Conserning this bug then its an area where pCars2 was much better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

In Pcars it also shakes a bit and that is fine of course. In AMS2 it is way way way to much. I ruins my fun and I notice that I play AMS2 not that often anymore. So I really hope they can add an option to completely remove the shaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. BrunoB

Actually Im all in for realism in cockpit bouncing/shaking because I can still remember from my younger days how much shaking there actually was in a FF1600 car.:eek:
    But the way shaking is done in AMS2 is completely unrealistic - and furthermore way too much.

Because even in a tiny formula car like FF1600 on an "unregular"/rough surface then both the cars suspension but also the bodys physical "suspension" in the neck does smooth the shaking out so the bounching of the head and sight has not the laughable hectic shaking rate (and size) like it is implemented in AMS2.

ByTheWay: Shaking is good in a racing sim but only if it is at an realistic rate and size - otherwise its just bad programming. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bull Shark

That is why I would like to see a switch. Those who like it can turn it on, those who don’t like it can turn it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. BrunoB

Yeah I understand what you are saying.
    But the reason Im both saying that the shaking in AMS2 is completely unrealistic AND that "shaking is good" (mkey? :D ) is because I have come to the conclusion that if a racing game also should be considered as a racing sim then it should be impossible to switch all cockpit shaking off.

I have come to this conclusion after spending my first many racing sim years in the Papyrus sims (GPL and specially the GTP mod for NR2003) where there was a mandatory but realistic vertical cockpit shaking when the surface on the track wasnt exactly as a dancing floor.:p
    Then I tried some of the ISImotor racing games (GTR2 and rF2) and was disappointed with the mandatory smoothing everything out with a floating movement with so low a frequency in the "shaking" that it often feels like onboard a hovercraft.:eek:
    Then I "returned" to the Papyrus-ish kind of sim in iRacing where you couldnt swich off the basic but rather realistic vertical cockpit shaking resembling iRacings offspring the NR2003 physics engine.

ByTheWay: Thats the reason Im in for some mandatory but realistic cockpit shaking instead of how it is in AMS2 at the moment.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yeah there needs to be some adjustment to the shaking. I like to have some, as it increases the immersion, but not as much as there is currently.

Going down any of the 4 forest straights at Hockenheim 2001 in a Formula V10, really rattles the eyeballs - especially in VR.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bull Shark

Yes in Pcars we do not see this excessive shaking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RWB FxUK

RWB FxUK Member AMS2 Club Member

I really hope this is high on their priority list - I just don't feel compelled to race for long, if at all. The shaking is simply exhausting, no other sim I race is like this, although ACC can be, but I use the awesome third party real head motion app which then makes it resemble how AMS 1 camera's worked, and those where perfect!

We did a series of races the other night and most players involved where complaining in some form of the high intensity of the shaking, but its not just that... Having world movement at 0 (erm, I forget which way around, lol.. but it still doesn't get rid of it all on stiff supsension cars) introduces comical cockpit movement on incline/declines.

I love a lot about the sim, but that's no good if I can only manage a 10 min session before I'm done and can't take it anymore.

AMS1 camera system is badly badly needed... soon™

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 4
  19. ATSS

ATSS Member

So still no fix for the camera shake? I not played the game for 2 months because of this.
    Terrible motion sickness.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

What settings are you using?