1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod Support???

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by DaveC187, Sep 19, 2020.

1. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

I think this game is fantastic. Graphics are great, driving model is great. But why are the devs not allowing mod support?? I do not understand why they would not people to have flexibility and options to add cars, tracks, misc. items, etc. Assetto Corsa is still going strong with mods coming out every day and tons of people playing.
    I think this game has a ton of potential to become the next big PC sim racer, but without mod support, I don't see it lasting.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I dont think this is something Reiza has any control over since they're licensing the engine from SMS.

3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Licensing and the desire to increase their own income by being the sole producers of content. It's a shame, but no developer is under any obligation to support the public modification of their software.

Also, the "lack of mods will kill the sim" argument is complete nonsense. There are already two current sims doing just fine with no mods, and producing sims which "last" for years and years with community mods is not exactly to the benefit of the industry itself. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this active prevention of modding starts becoming the norm.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lucas Vieira

Lucas Vieira Member

I do like the game the way it is. Without mod support. Every time i see one open lobby i dont have to worry about if my mod installed its the same as the server is using. Its kind annoying, and always had some game crashes.

Beside that, there is no real benefit for Reiza to allow the mod support, because they dont earn nothing with that. As mentioned in many Dev Updates, there is a lot of costs involving licenses, and content creation. With DLC's, it does helps to pay for this costs involved.

As Goffik said, its more likely to all incoming games had this active prevention of mods.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

AMS2 is much better without mod support. The problem with Assetto Corsa is the mods itself. The quality of some of the mods, the complexity of install, ease of version control, etc. Unless you are a tech savy user, it's a nightmare for most users. It's one the main reasons we don't use Assetto Corsa in our league. It's just not accessilbe to the average user and you spend more time troubleshooting than playing.

Hard pass on user generated mods. Better to have official DLC content that is of high quality, gets patched bugs and auto updated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Free mods for AC and most any sim are 80% rubbish, ripped from other games etc. Sure, there are gems out there and sometimes you put up with a slightly dodgy physics model just to drive something unique, but the more I play various sims the less patience I have for trying to fix broken things. Paid mods for AC are often great, but at that point you're just paying for unofficial DLC.

I suppose "average user cannot unpack the resources related to the Madness Engine" doesn't necessarily mean Reiza can't provide access to some well-known modding teams to create, in essence, 3rd party DLC in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Solid mods are really rare... not worth the very complex SDK, tools processes, support time, documentation required from the game developer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

As far as I understand, mods are not possible due to file encryption.

9. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I think AC already has the market cornered for shed racing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Au contraire!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

ACC and RRRE have also no mod support.
    in RRRE you'll have to buy every livery. AMS2 is in some way open for livery mods.
    All console games have no mod support.
    Interestingly they sell millions.