1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please devs bring VR update!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Mike1304, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is the best racing sim out there IMHO and it best comes to life in VR.

Please devs, give us some optimizations for this wonderful technology:

1) First and most important: please bring patch for VR headsets with canted displays like the Pimax so that we don’t need to activate the option for parallel projection. Without this option we get double vision which makes the game unplayable. With parallel projection turned on we loose many FPS. Most games already work without the need of parallel projection out of the box. And other games ate being fixed by the devs. The rFactor2 devs for example already patched their game so that parallel projection isn’t needed anymore bringing a huge frame rate and performance boost.

2) Please stop the automatic rotation in the car showroom, which makes us nauseous in VR and give us the opportunity to rotate and zoom the view by ourselves like in the 2D version of the game. Admiring the beautiful car models in VR would be great!

3) The VR spectator camera for VR is a first great step. But whenever I find a setting for fluid gameplay the replays are even more demanding causing a stuttering replay experience with ghosting. What we need is separate graphics settings for VR so we can lower some settings only for replay purposes. And then there is sometimes an ugly depth of field effect in replays making almost the whole scene a blurry mess. As a Plan B option it should be possible to watch replays in 2D as the at least demanding variant... Of course 3D VR replays would be best but not if there’s stuttering and ghosting with low FPS...

Please VR enthusiasts, feel free to add further optimization ideas and wishes in this thread.
    Maybe the devs will listen and make this sim even better for us using the VR version of the game...

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

4) PLEASE fix the in-game HUD editor for Oculus users who's monitor resolution is lower than their HMD resolution. This has been an issue since the editor was first implemented and is rather frustrating.

5) Please give VR users the camera shake solution you added for monitor users in the latest patch. I don't understand why we've been left out in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Sharper VR images please. I don’t feel comfortable going into folders and amending sharpness. Please Reiza make VR sharper, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Mate, you open one file, change a number, and it's done. Nothing scary or difficult about it. Upload your file here and I'll do it for you if you want. It makes such a massive, massive difference that it's silly not to make this extremely simple change.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. mist3rf0ur

mist3rf0ur Member

While I agree with you, I still believe it should be a menu option.

7. James Lee GTE

Ok you have convinced me. Which file do I go to and what line do I change?

8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Yes it should, and I don't disagree. But not using the feature because it isn't in the menus is a big loss given it's huge effect on VR quality.

Super simple. :) Go to Documents\Automobilista 2. The file you need to tweak will depend on your headset:

graphicsconfigoculus.xml - Oculus headsets
    graphicsconfigopenvr.xml - SteamVR headsets

Open it up in a text editor (Notepad will do), the line you need to edit is:

<prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="0.000000" />

Make that value higher to increase sharpness to your preference. On my Rift S I have set it to 2.500000 which looks great, but other headsets may vary. Too high and you introduce flickering and graphical artefacts, so find the best value for your headset.

9. James Lee GTE

ah perfect I have a Rift S too. I’ll give this a go on my day off on Friday. Thank you so much for all the detail and info. Looking forward to seeing how this changes the sharpness and thanks for the encouragement!

• Like Like x 1
  10. T1Ko

T1Ko New Member

-Not just a brightness setting, no, we also need a color saturation setting.
    I drive with HP Reverb and the color display is too colorful and that's not because of my glasses, because they are not known for colorful pictures, on the contrary.

A race track in live looks pretty dreary and not as it is partially shown on TV. ;)

-I would like to see a world scale adjustment, such as B. in rFactor 2 and other Sims.
    For example in the new BMW M1, the interior, the steering wheel and the opposing cars seem too small to me. The built-in steering wheel, I suspect, is a Momo Monte Carlo and this was available in the sizes 320mm and 350mm. With me in VR, the steering wheel of the M1 does not match my 320mm Fanatec BMW GT2 steering wheel and certainly not with a 350mm steering wheel. It's smaller in AMS 2.

See also here: Scale in VR ?

I would be very happy about these setting options ! :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  11. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Agree that this option should be in the game, but again, it can already be done with file edits.

Open oculussettings.xml / openvrsettings.xml and change:

<prop name="IPD_Scale" data="1" />

Higher than 1 makes the world smaller, lower than 1 makes it larger.

• Like Like x 3
  12. T1Ko

T1Ko New Member

Thank you Goffik.

As an emergency solution not bad for now and it also works, but if you adjust it for car 1, the proportions no longer fit for car 2.

That means quit AMS2, change IPD Scale again for Auto 2, start AMS2 again ....

That is why I would like to see it in the future to make changes for every car and environment ,on the route if necessary, which are saved at the same time. :)

It would be best for us, the devs adjust the proportions optimally for VR, so that that no longer occurs, you sit in a Matchbox car and drive in a dwarf environment. :)

Otherwise I have complete confidence in the Reiza team that everything will be to our satisfaction in the end.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  13. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Proportions can look different based on headset, settings outside the game, and the users biology, so VR will never look optimal for everyone at the same time. That's why most games, bar AMS 2, have in-game adjustments. ;)

14. T1Ko

T1Ko New Member

Come on.
    There aren't that many different glasses on the market. If the few people donated their glasses to the poor Reiza team, it might be something. ;)

Just fun.

15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Right, so we're all identical people with identical biology and identical proportions, are we? :rolleyes: Even people on the same headsets often use different world scale settings because their perception of what is "right" is different from somebody else's. (Take a look at such discussions in the R3E or IL-2 forums, where people argue about what is "correct".)

Trying to optimise this is a waste of the developer's time. Get it close and then give the end-user a variable setting so they can adjust it to their preferences.

• Like Like x 1
  16. James Lee GTE

I really appreciate this instruction guide. I’ve played with it this morning and my tastes landed at 1.5 sharpening. It does look a lot better, especially for signs and brake boards around the track. Definately looks sharper in the Rift S and I’m super grateful for the encouragement you gave. Hockenheim 88 in the BMW pro car looks so much better now! Thank you !

• Like Like x 2
  17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

You're welcome mate. :)