1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I would suggest going even lower with the harshness settings to smooth out the road FX effects.Try going as low as 0.0 or 0.1 to see if that helps. If not, is it possible that your FEI setting is too high on your wheel's driver?

As for the wheel clipping and smoothness issues, can you elaborate a bit more there? Is it due to the wheel wanting to center too strongly, too much wheel resistance, etc.?

Yep, in the file there is a (strengthen_low) setting. Increase the value to tighten up the wheel center. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Deleted...I meant to edit my previous post. :oops:

3. Donato

Donato Member

yes, there is still too much force when the wheel is in the center, for the rest I found the DDwheel with an excellent value of 0.1.

4. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've tested v6.6.5.9.9.9.9 (a.k.a. "the pinnacle") yesterday for the very first time, and i had a strange effect on my DD2.

First i started a Test day session with the Ginetta G55. FFB was set to "default", just to feel the difference. Then i switched to custom FFB (file for DDWheelBases) and the FFB became really heavy.o_O It was so strong that i had to lower the FFB strength on my DD2 from 50% to about 35%.

After that i was going for a Time trial session with the same car & track. And all of the sudden the FFB was really light. All the heavyness i had before was gone. So i increased the FFB strength on my steering wheel back to 50% and all was fine. Also after switching back to Test day session the FFB was fine.
    It was just the first run, where the FFB was that heavy. Couldn't reproduce it. Pretty weird.:confused:

5. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

We were working on a PC2 version of a custom file and made it (IMO) extremely good, i think there were some bugs or inconsistencies in AMS2 version and not sure if Karsten ported the "fixes" over tbh.

Personally I will wait some more time before getting into AMS2 again as it needs a bit more polish and a focused content instead of 1 or 2 cars per class in 24 classes, months maybe a year or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have had the same thing. Just restart the game with custom picked and it will work properly. At least that's all I did.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. MoonieGT

MoonieGT New Member

Which setting in the file adjusts the damped feel? On my DD1, I usually run little to no damping for all sims (I like the quick smooth steering feel). I'm generally like this file, but it feels to me like there is damping being applied (it may be called something else but that's the sensation I'm feeling). It's like there is some drag in the wheel when I'm turning it and I'd like it to turn a bit easier. I tried all three of the files and actually prefer the low-end and high-end options over the DD option on my DD1.

Thanks for the help and for your work on this! I've been tearing my hair out with AMS2 as I simply cannot get the FFB setup to where I even want to play the game. This file is a step in the right direction for me!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

9. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey MoonieGT,

First of all; thank you for your effort on fighting pediatric cancer.

I unf. again am in a period of having almost no time at my hands at all, let alone fix these files & race the sims these days, as work is busy.
    But I did just make a few fast alterations and posted a new file in post #2 you can see if suits you better. Unlikely though, as I actually made the wheel feel heavier, as it was too light in the center for my liking before. Also I don't like the car turning from side to side around center, but like the cars to self center to a high degree, as that feels more real to me.

So I have not tried to make it quicker, yet. Also, because, to me, it feels less realistic.
    But I can give it a shot. Hopefully some time will become available next week or so & I can look at it.

But if you really prefer a more light feel I would say the Default is not bad these days. Also you can try @NuScorpii 's files from post #3. They share more with the Default than the silver raw files do and are a marked improvement over Default too.

All the best,

-K

10. MoonieGT

MoonieGT New Member

That's so kind of you to say, thank you!

I've struggled like crazy to get the default FFB to feel ok on the DD1. I know I really enjoyed it several months ago, but something has changed in the later builds for me. I've spent hours to trying to find settings that I enjoy (I'm sure I'm at 4+ hours spent fiddling with ffb trying all combinations of in game and wheel base settings)... I've deleted the AMS2 folder, updated firmware on the wheelbase, deleted and reinstalled AMS2. I just can't get it to feel right to me.

I tried LexVR's file with his recommended settings and it about vibrated my rig to pieces! And I tried it on two different firmware versions of my DD1. There has to be something fundamentally wrong, but I can't figure out what's wrong...

11. Karsten Hvidberg

Weird...
    @Shadak has a DD1 and sometimes he's forgotten to change the fanatec settings correctly. I'm sure chances are minimal that's your issue, but posting just for that microscopic chance...

12. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Are the latest files same as what you did for the PC2 I have? Ive not tested many latest ams2 files but the PC2 was perfect on DD1.

My settings are a bit of natural friction (5-8 i think) , and no damping or other effects. I think the base FFB was around 60% for ams2 and pc2.

13. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

With the latest patch comeing "soonTM",you don't need Custom files no longer!

14. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

why? is it suddenly going to be fully driven by physics? .. because on default there are some "important" things missing. Mainly vertical reaction to the road in a straight line, its really annoying when you go over a big bump, car visually shakes but ffb does nothing (at pretty high lfb), but it works fine when turning. Then there is the wheel movement as suspension moves that Karsten did.

15. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

It is perfect like it is now,subtile changes.Try it,i was never happy with the custom files.I have it on default 50/40/10
    But i have a belt driven wheel,not DD wich is another thing.But als DD users like it as it is.

16. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Hi Shadak are these files available to all?

17. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I tried it this week, its not bad but still missing what I mentioned. Vertically there is only a very very slight tingle :) ... the center and turning is still separated in terms of FFB, Karsten so far is the only one who managed to make it smooth without any sort of transition.

@Maser V6 yes I believe PC2 forums have Karstens files and he was updating them.
    Otherwise Im attaching what Im used for DD1 (might be different to other wheels)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Can you help me to find where this patch comes from? I sm curious to test that effect on my TS PC racer
    Thanks

19. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Hi Karsten

This file is working great for me in almost every way.
    Still cant shake the vibrating road surface bump issue, but its not something in the file as far as i can tell, its a inherent physics code from reiza, ( Believe me ive tried to smooth it out with tweaks and reductions to file )
    I run quite low gain setting though compared to what you describe in leading post. But its generally in line with the settings i use in PC2 with your file.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

I highly doubt that, i absolutely need the custom files with my simucube 2 for the ffb to feel really good.

Don't get me wrong though, the default ffb isn't bad by any means. It's just that the custom files make it even better.