1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel hard pulling to the right, multiple users affected

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by mister dog, Dec 19, 2020.

1. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

We held a race with the Copa Trucks at Spielberg 74 this evening and 3 of us experienced the FFB going crazy and the wheel hard pulling to the right all of a sudden. 3 people on different wheels means not hardware related. Then we heard from someone else that he experienced it as well just now in another lobby driving superkarts at Monaco. Game braking bug this, didn't have to much time to check the forum but couldn't find a recent thread about it here.

This is the same bug as carried over from PC2, where your wheel would start auto pulling to the right mid session and lock itself meaning game over. Definitely needs sorting out urgently.

2. mister dog

To give some more reference here is a thread I started back in '17 but many people also reported it on WMD before that:

Old auto rotation wheel bug is still present

There's a video in there too, back in the PC2 days however there were some differences, it happened a lot when starting a session just when you loaded up the pre race screen, and the pulling to the left/right was less forceful than it is now, but that could also be because I moved on from the Porsche wheel I had back then to a CSL now which is a lot stronger. It then also occurred during races and destroyed a bunch of them for me and others.

It seems like a FFB overload or something, like there's a sudden spike and then the wheel just goes crazy and locks itself to one direction. Seeing this bug has been present in the Madness engine since PC1 I fear it is deeply embedded in the code since SMS was never able to sort it out. Hope you guys do have an idea what might be causing this and possible ways to fix it.

3. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Paste in this line into the "custom_ffb_settings" file at the next to the last line
    (doom_check output)

At least then when it happens, it won't pull to the left, it will just go light, and you'll still be able to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mister dog

Ah Peter long time no see! Where did you get this from and has it been discussed over here as I couldn't find any active thread about it. So paste 'doom_check output' into the next to last line right?

5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

pretty sure you need the whole thing including the brackets. (ping @Domagoj Lovric)

• Like Like x 1
  6. mister dog

Cheers so this is the temporary workaround then thanks for the heads up, have you guys identified this legacy bug and what is causing it?

7. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Partially.
    Issue is inside FFB scripting system, it's internal state goes bust. The more complex script is, more likely issue happening.
    Solution in game, if offline session is to change used profile in game and ffb will be restored.

Simplest killing of the bug for us would be to override ffb script system, but it's versatility and power it gives for people to tweak ffb is very very strong argument against that.

I have notified in FFB custom topic of this function and cause, link below.
    It needs to be before any signal clipping (be it linear hard cutoff or non linear).

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

EDIT.
    One thing I didn't ask is, did you guys got the bug with using default FFB by chance?

8. mister dog

Yes indeed on my end FFB type = default:

[​IMG]
    I'm using 75 gain on a Fanatec CSL so it shouldn't be clipping. I get the feeling it is more related to how heavy the wheel feels in a certain car (and in this case it was the trucks which do give a lot of resistance), FFB and the belt have to work harder and then you get this overload.

I saw in your post you suspected it was due to custom profiles, but seems like it also occurs on default then. It's one of these sword of damocles kinda gremlins; you never know when you will get it but if it does occur online you are screwed. I'd suggest testing this with the trucks next time you investigate as it was always something sporadic so far happening with this or that user, but yesterday it was 4 of us in a 20 mins race.

9. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

Many on the forum have experienced this issue with default FFB inc myself.

10. Domagoj Lovric

We only added the "protection" to default not too long ago, but pulls were there always.

Altho if trucks session you guys had, was all on default then it tells something: protection logic is not 100% robust.
    Would advise next time, just change profile used in game option, of anything, for the sake of feedback (expected outcome is Ffb back to life)

@mister dog My post there in custom profiles was just to let them know of protection function for "overload".

Neither default nor custom is safe, logic check if pull will happen is not 100% robust, but problem occurs in scripting system.

My point about relating profile complexity with pull is just plain linear: more variables and functions, more stuff to corrupt.

11. mister dog

I haven't checked but there's no reset FFB hotkey which you can press on track right? I'll install a custom file with that line in it then and meanwhile check out what people came up with so far, as I've been running default FFB settings since the start. Wheel going limp (losing all FFB) is indeed better then having it forcefully locked to one side but still, I hope you guys can sort this one out.

Ps. Maybe a long shot but could it be something with the menu spring strength setting? I think Madness games are the only ones I know which auto turn your wheel back to centre once you exit a session, wouldn't be surprised that it would have something to do with it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  12. Domagoj Lovric

So if you got pulls with default, then its of no help to run custom.
    Default already has this check in it.

Altho, trucks were ones where many of you experienced it?

Reset Ffb button even if it was there, it wouldn't help with this - it needs backbone Ffb reset logic. Once that is there, we'll reset system automatically.

It is not center spring, that is very simple code bits that utilize " spring" direct input effect.

This error is with ffb script system, that is definitely.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I recall a few months ago the tyres of the truck would bug out in the pits thus leading to my wheel pulling to the right.

If I remember correctly the digits of the pressure would go in negative or so. Perhaps that's it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Nacho1311

Nacho1311 New Member

I had the same problem yesterday.
    My wheel suddenly pulling to the right and I must restart the game to fix.
    I used following settings:
    custom, with 67% gain.
    My wheel: fanatec CSL Elite

15. selwyn gregory

selwyn gregory Member AMS2 Club Member

I never had this in 100s of hours of PC2 just AMs2 it seems to happen about 1 or twice an hour for me but sofar only in trucks.

Using Logitec G25 at 50% gain default.

16. A.F.K DaN

A.F.K DaN Member AMS2 Club Member

Another Push here, this issue still persists.
    Had it with a few cars today. Think it's more likely to occur if FFB is set on the stiffer side.

Had no problems with the new Ginetta Cup GT5, but once I tried a few other cars, where FFB was pretty stiff, only a matter of time to happen.
    Gain is set to 65, but with per car FFB mostly down to 50 - 60%. Sometimes even 50% is too hard, but just didn't want to reload a session only for doing 2-3 laps on a track.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. mister dog

Depending on the cars and their output indeed, like when you have older non power steering cars that give a more forceful feedback. With Group C's coming up I hope they can get this sorted.

18. Domagoj Lovric

What do you mean "reload a session? This can't be resolved by session reload.
    Are you sure you got pull all the way to one or other side and not just fast countersteer on spinout?
    Is this in Default Ffb profile?

Are you referring to just how ffb works "forceful feedback"?

19. A.F.K DaN

A.F.K DaN Member AMS2 Club Member

For Wheel Lock Problem:
    Yes, i'm using the default ffb profile currently.

And no, this is not a countersteer lock. It can happen every moment driving, like running down a straight (so not moving the wheel at all!) - suddenly wheel goes nuts to the right, hearing the usb disable sound and thats it. Have to restart Wheel + Game to get it working again.

Here 2 timestamps where i had the issue after the GT3 release patch:

Only had it with the AMG back then, Mclaren worked fine.
    Yesterday i had it with some stock cars, but can't remember which ones.

For FFB per car gain:
    I don't know what happens with the per car ffb gain slider, but it seems it doesn't work for me in some cases.

Like, loading a single race, setting car ffb to 50%, going into race - can't nearly turn the wheel.
    Restarting the race, moving the slider again, sometimes wheel just gets (too) easy now on race start.
    I'm not getting what happens here.

No problems with my wheel on other Sims / Games (doing them regulary and in endurance leagues).

Is there a reason, why per car ffb is capped at 50%? Would be nice to set it even lower (maybe i could get the same effect by reducing general gain, I'm still not used to PC2 / AMS2 ffb system).

20. Domagoj Lovric

Sorry for picking out stuff from your message but you mnetion you hear Usb device disable sound (from Windows)?