1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Physic discussion thread

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Avoletta1977, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Shoot, no wonder there for carts, Tight! lol
    I have no miles on cart track, just tried the trainer. So I have to skip for me
    sry others can better judge on these tracks.

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe it is odd, can't tell for sure.^^

3. Maser V6

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    wow thanks
    The no brake laps test at eg interlagos historic long is a good start track
    You will hear after a while the reffered to lag and see/feel; diff and the engine audio change. 1st turn flat out 4th lift off and other corners. other tracks will reveal more and some less.
    Once faster laps are found the subtleties are revealed
    I try with throttle blip and also without

4. Ralonso

Ralonso Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Very interesting post, Maser V6! Thank you for this! I will try your suggestions out the next time I will rejump into the F1 Ultimate car!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ralonso

Very informative and useful! I will rewatch the F1 Ultimate under your advices! Thank you very much!
    (Whether I understand pysics or not, depends a lot in which sense. I think you're partially right, though: I don't understand (THE) physics (of the F Ultimate car with its out of the box setup). But I think you helped me out with you post, here!)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

This one's a bit on the edge of not being about physics, but gameplay. It's related to engine physics though, because I would like to see this being solved without artificial limits.

Kyalami is around 1500m above sea level which removes over 10% of a naturally aspirated car's power due to the decrease in air pressure as compared to sea level. I forget which exact formula Reiza used, but I just saw it mentioned somewhere. Turbocharged cars mitigate this power loss since their whole point is to raise air pressure in the system up to a controlled limit.

This power difference between naturally aspirated and turbocharged GT cars can be over 100 horsepower at Kyalami which is really noticeable. Interlagos and Spielberg are about half of this, but still problematic for balanced racing.

What do you think would the most optimal way to balance power high above sea level? How do they handle this in real life? My thinking is that turbo output pressure should be limited (the amount it's allowed to output vs restricted) per track so turbocharged engines can't unfairly compensate for all of the decreased air pressure at altitude.

7. Maser V6

Welcome
    Reviews are funny things but are very influential to prospective purchasers.
    There are many reviews out there. Some clearly contradict each other and some are poorly done, poorly driven, most have valid points good and bad, yes indeed . Some are spot on about pros and cons.
    An analogy : I/we buy a monitor for instance we plug it in switch on.
    Maybe read manual. ______for readers here are your monitor settings default? for the sim
    In my case both 4khdr tvs dissapoint me out the box default. crap in fact.
    On the many settings available I then only adjust brightness for my room /contrast same reason ,sharpness. maybe.
    Colours are usually very oversaturated default. I adjust to more realistic. wow much better.
    Then I go deeper refresh rate heck even all the reviews and store got that wrong it will do 120hz not 100hz max Super Im happy, its great not crap.

We adjust our monitors, normally to our preference, but for example ffb per car. we dont bother??esp when it differs per car
    Just watched another AMS2 review 30 mins ago. GT1 Porsche
    Review guy jumps in default. Straight away complains about ffb/lightness grip etc.
    Fine, but in doing so immediately puts some people off buying product. damage is done.
    All he had to do to was then to readjust 1 setting that would have made it heavier. Could not be bothered to see if any adjustment made a difference to "out the box"
    I bet he adjusted his monitors from default to see if it made a difference!
    Any fair review of any product esp with so many settings would try standard setup and then make comparison after some simple adjustments as per instructions and personal preference. If still poor/crap after trying to get the best then review may be deemed "fair"
    We dont review/buy an amp with tone controls and not bother to adjust bass treble or even see if it makes a difference.
    Sims including this one should make their own informative videos with all the glossy racing imagery as they do now plus a developer on a rig, driving and showing some simple aspects of sim and its posibillities.
    As they are now its like looking at a glossy brochure with no text/script. A good product video from the producer is 1 that shows how to use and get the best from the product as well as what it looks like.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. psone

psone Guest

100% this. For me one of if not the biggest thing ACC has going for it is Aris, his videos/streams are a great resource and for me an ideal way for a dev to communicate with their base. You might not like the way ACC does it, but having a dev explain to the best of their ability why they've made the choices they have, why they feel those choices are correct and how to get the most out of the sim is pure gold. It's the modern day equivalent of a massive manual.

It doesn't have to be the 4 hour marathons he does and obviously providing something like that is a huge time commitment that maybe is just not practical for Reiza at the moment but, it would be a great resource to have in the future. People tend to pay more attention when it comes direct from the source.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Maser V6

I dont have acc and was not aware but yes. Just makes sense. Marketing wise also.
    It can be done and takes little time for the rewards are numerous.
    Helps players/reviewers/prospective buyers and can nullify/void poor reviews that otherwise are pushing people to buy elsewhere
    @Ralonso sorry for drift from op

10. Cully

Cully Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Maser V6 some nice posts , im keen to hear your thoughts on the cars that are really very good.
    I play many sims and many other gaming genres so when i get time to to sit down and simrace it can be a minefield trying to figure out what is good and not so good in diverse sims like AMS2 ,raceroom and rfactor2.

11. Maser V6

Thanks. I will out of respect not clutter Ralonso's post with my ramble/thoughts but will happily post here #1 when I have time to answer

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ralonso

Absolutely no problem, Maser V6!
    Cheers!

13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

What what?
    This is exactly the way I (have to) drive - because otherwise I cant get the cars to rotate at entrance of corners.
    Im not kidding - because using a fully handcontrolled wheel (because of leg issues) I cannot turn the wheel more than about +- 20 degrees.
    So I have to mainly use the diff settings and the engine braking to get around corners.:eek:

ByTheWay: The reason Im posting this is not to moan and/or get some attention but because on a lot of tracks you can use this technique to get on top of as example the TT LBs (somewhat :p ).
    The challenging thing is that it is only on some tracks this technique works out - on others you does get a BIG handicap.:(
    Fully agree. This track version is probably the best to check the pro & cons in the AMS2 TM out.;)

14. Maser V6

Yes I was aware from your previuos TT chats
    how do you implement brake? or actually never use any type
    Impressive. Ran v10 at Silver after reading your(tt chats) weeks ago, the cars not a fav of mine but yes good times by u.

Tight turns?

Great fast track. no chicanes put in for the sake of safety. (they ruin original historic tracks for me, and just invite carnage.) Spa H in future will be a blast

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

The most common driving error people make (lots of us, so do not feel bad) is to use road car braking habits in a race car. They are the complete opposite.

Road car - start with light braking and slowly/smoothly apply more brakes until you come to a complete stop, at which point you are probably depressing the brake to the maximum amount of the episode.

Race car - as @ControlLogix said, you start with maximum braking force while the risk of lock-up is minimal to none (either because of the high speed and/or the aerodynamics) and then consistently back-off the brake while trying to keep the tires just on the good side of not locking up, therefore providing the maximum slowing force. Of course, the brakes get slammed as heavily as possible at every corner, versus in a road car where you try your best to avoid doing that unless it is an emergency.

The tricky part is that it is so easy to trip over into lock-up in a race car--in real life, but vastly more easily in a sim where our pedals and FFB and senses have nowhere near as much feedback to help us gauge how close we are to the edge.

16. Marc Collins

The smart people/teams use turbos.

There is no need to balance...it is a "natural" effect, just as some cars have better aerodynamics or low-end torque or better brakes. When you go to high elevations without a turbo you better hope no one else has one or that your car has some other advantages.

I would only wish to see limitations imposed if a completely fake BOP regime was available as an option in AMS 2, as is the case in sim-cade or arcade titles where people want the identical performance to make things fair, but they want the eye candy of all the different car models.

17. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem is that a lot of the Brazilian tracks are at an altitude (700+ m) sufficient to make a difference. Are we just not supposed to run non-turbo GT1/GT3/GT4 cars on half the circuits in the game?

18. Marc Collins

The GT3's and 4's and P classes are modelled on a real series in 2020/2021. What do they do?

19. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Someone has been doing some housekeeping it seems :D. It always felt a bit odd that this was in General General and not AMS2 General.

I understand your principle and agree on paper. My suggestion is an optional online session setting that removes the turbo advantage at altitude. It's not just for eye candy, but just having different cars without a massive power difference at high altitude tracks. That's all.

I also see it as a natural effect which is why I would also limit it at the source. Just like a real racing series could regulate it.

The natural differences you name are much smaller in impact. 400 vs 500hp means there's no sense driving anything, but the 500hp one. And then you're left with one sensible GT1/GT3/GT4 choice in each class at Kyalami :(. I think at Interlagos and Spielberg too though it's not quite as contrasty there.

The host could of course decide if this rule is used or not.

Ok I went back to try it and it's there, but I reframed it a bit. When I run over crests I can feel the steering go a bit light, but not completely. There's barely any front end grip at that point.

I think the "oddity" might be an illusion that the Vee's configuration causes. The front tires are really super unloaded at that point and therefore steering doesn't do much at all. You can't really see the Vee front end off the ground, but maybe it's "on its toes" when the odd feeling happens :D.

• Like Like x 1
  20. psone

psone Guest

Ibarra is 2225 meters above sea level. The macca is an absolute rocket around there. haha it's unbeatable. :D