1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proximity Arrows prioritize wrong Cars

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MasterLooser, Mar 16, 2021.

1. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

i do race in vr and usually have the proximity arrows on, cuz i dont want someone to tell me that a car is on my left all the time.

it seems like only 3 arrows can be displayed at the time.
    i had multiple instances where 3 cars are behind me, at a good distance (green arrow), while a car being left and a car right of me (their front just outside my peripheral vision) and no arrow indicating them being there.

when only 1 car next to me, it does show the arrow correctly for them.

its a minor issue, but can be annoying if u think noone is there cuz u jsut see a bunch of green arrows, when in reality someone is right next to you in a turn

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

I use proximity Arrows too and I get arrows sometimes when there are no cars near me.. It certainly gets you looking in mirrors to see if it's really there or if I feel asleep and missed it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope there is a radar HUD widget in the pipe..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If you are not aware, SimHub has it, maybe you'd like to have a look into that.

But I think it makes even more sense (and shouldn't be very difficult) to make proximity indicators work better. This is just one of the dozens bizarre design decisions the devs made in PCARS2, proximity indicators are visible only to cars behind the player's car and they disappear if the other car is besides and only 1 cm ahead, but obviously still completely invisible when a single monitor is used. Does not make any sense at all IMO and it probably leads to many of the crashes in multiplayer, people who rely on the indicators often believe there's no other car to their side, while there may be 3-4 cars which are in the blind spot. I am guessing maybe they wanted to avoid having them showing even for cars that are just straight in front of the player, so they took the lazy approach to simply make the indicators always disappear when the other car is even slightly "ahead". I am sure Reiza can improve this situation with a bit more clever calculation, like they have done for many other things already.

The other problem with proximity indicators sometimes showing when there's no other car around at all was also happening in PCARS2, but form what I remember it was rare. In AMS2 I am seeing it much more often, this needs to be looked into, too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

thanks matey i'll check it out.. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I play in VR too and was running both proximity arrows and Crew Chief’s spotter but have recently switched off proximity markers and just use CC’s spotter for the reasons you bring up.

The number of races I’d run in where the markers differed wildly from what I was being told was getting beyond a joke, but I also found that the colour change for the proximity appeared to vary. Sometimes they’d be red but the nearest car was some way back other times they’d be green and the nearest car was much closer. I don’t know if track or car type made any difference, I could have tested but with CC to rely on I’d rather just get rid of the confusion as quickly as possible.