1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do pit stops work in AMS 2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dylan Hale, May 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all, I've got a number of questions about the most confusing topic in this game for me personally, pit stops.

I have a number of questions, hopefully some of which can be answered. Probably should have done this for the Q&A but honestly this is something that should be better explained in game.

1. In AMS 1, some cars where restricted in not being able to add fuel, or do tire changes. Is that carried over into AMS 2? If so, what classes can do what?

2. How do the mandatory pit stops work? Is there a period in which the pits are opened and the closed? Do I have to change tires or add a certain amount of fuel? I couldn't figure this out in PCars 2 either, as I would run a race with a mandatory pit stop, come in, and then get DQ'ed at race end for not pitting when I clearly did...

3. What do the AI do in the pit lane? I remember a post from SMS on Pcars 1 that the AI always start the race with a full fuel load, and always top off the tank and change tires when allowed to in the pit lane. I assume thats the same for PC2, so does the the AI do the same thing in AMS 2?

4. Can the AI speed in the pit lane and gain a penalty?

5. Why doesn't the request Pitstop button work?

6. How do I get out of the car and beat the crap out of my crew for eating ice cream like Days of Thunder. (Joking of course)

2. Dylan Hale

So I take that as a nobody knows?

3. pavig

pavig Member

1) I seem to remember some cars have restrictions but can't remember which off the top of my head.

2) For mandatories you have to go park outside your box and actually stop. I don't think you need to do anything particular more than that (fuel/tire/etc) to avoid a disqualify. I use crewchief so I have the internal crew texts turned off, but Jeff seems to know when the pit window opens and closes.

As for AI behaviour I believe there is more going on under the hood than we get given access to via the race settings UI currently. AI seems to have more realistic pitting behaviour in championship races than single AI races, and it seems to change per championship format.

5) Request pit button seems to work (if it's mapped) as well as the in-car-menu thingie. The obvious time it won't work is in packed races when your teammate (or the car that uses the same box as you) is already registered to pit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've never had any problem with requesting a pitstop,even if the pitbox is taken by your teammate. I am talking single player here.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Bell

Chris Bell New Member

There is an option to request a pitstop within the MFD. This ensures the crew are waiting for you when you come in.

6. Dylan Hale

Doesn't work for me for some reason, its grayed out.

7. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Regarding mandatory pit stops, the way our league did it was we set up the pit strategy and then you'd just go in whatever lap you planned on. You didn't need to request the stop or anything. For more about the pit strategy,@steelreserv just made a youtube video about pit stop strategy that maay be useful.

Im not sure enough people USE pit stops to even know details about a lot of the other stuff, though. But if you select a pit strategy before the race, the crew will default to that strategy whenever you jump into the pits mid-race. So whatever you've set up, they will do. No need to request a stop.

I think there is a way to select a different strategy mid-race, and maybe the video above goes into that... cant remember. But you could have strats for damaged front wings or fuel only depending on the sitaution that arises. I am not good at fumbling through menus when driving, though, so I just set a fuel/tires strategy for the lap I want, and jump in that lap. But if fuel mileage is better than expected, I can stay out another lap and be fine. Pit stops still work fine.

• Like Like x 2
  8. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

pit stops do not fully work in test drives and time trials. But whan you enable pit box cues in options, the pit stop action always activates without pit crew if you stop inside the marker.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  9. daniel monteiro

daniel monteiro Member AMS2 Club Member

This video AND the comments potentially have all that is needed to get a pit-stop to work as of now. Still not ideal, and hopefully fixed soon, but at least there is a way to get it done.

10. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if this has been answered before, but is there a reason I can enable mandatory pitstops in lap races but not in timed races?

11. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have been wondering exactly the same lately. It must be a bug or something that causes the option for a mandatory pitstop to grey out as soon as you choose the timed race option.
    I can't think of a plausible explanation why a timed race couldn't have a mandatory pitstop.