1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI Aggression - placebo setting at best

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BazzaLB, Jun 21, 2021.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Something I wondered after watching the RandomCallsign video yesterday:

Do the AI get dumber if you run lots of them? Do the people who report bad results with the AI run lots of AI or is the behaviour exactly the same with fewer AI?

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Please stop making excuses for bad AI. This has nothing to do with it. They are just completely brain dead when it comes to actual racing, racing lines , track limits etc. I haven't come across another series that actually has AI flat out racing you off the track around corners. The way they dart from offline to racing line is ridiculously unrealistic. I have not seen this behaviour in any other title.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Good morning to you too.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

I agree with you albeit not entirely. Humans excel at creative problem solving but dont really do repetition well without error. Computers do repetition well without error but not problem solving. What does this mean for our conversation? During a race it is likely that humans make errors, some small some big, all of which will lead to pace variations, mistakes etc. I even find my mind wondering sometimes and lose half a second a lap for a while then am surprised when an Ai appears on my tail. Ai do not suffer from this because they are capable of maximum performance without error. There are examples of successful implementation of error in Ai in rfactor2 most notably. What is noticeable in AMS2 at the moment is that the Ai group together and also seldom if ever make errors in the race (I certainly dont remember an error that wasnt derived from close contact or similar in Ai in AMS2). This results in the characteristics above becoming obvious and the difference between Ai and human becoming obvious, therefore immersion lost.
    On a positive note, its been stated elsewhere by those that know that the Ai is (and I loosely quote) 'not even close to its full potential' in AMS2. Various reasons why its taking time summarised as complexity and risk management. Im not going to offer solutions because Im not a software engineer, but the end result needs to provide that holy grail of motorsports- avoiding predictable racing with strung out cars always finishing in the same position with no overtaking and no mistakes. Should be simple.. :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

That was certainly an issue with PC2. It also affected player physics if there were too many Ai, not sure if that issue has migrated too but I havent noticed it particularly. Its a reason why people in that title complained that setups developed in practice (on their own) reacted totally different once there were Ai everywhere. I personally run between 11-13 Ai with myself making the round number. Anything else is out of the points anyway so irrelevant in any championship that I run.

6. Dan44AFCB

Dan44AFCB Member AMS2 Club Member

All this discussion has made me reinstall AMS1 again. That will be my Ai Championship race game, AMS2 will be my pretty looking, quick race blast with fun weather, and dare I say, RF2 will be my "want to race on ok looking track with mods"...until it pisses me off again with fiddling and loading times.

7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Dan I actually thought about purchasing AMS1 as I race offline. You seem to be in a similar place to me right now so would you recommend it?

8. Dan44AFCB

Definitely. AI is decent and realistic to view. Quite often I found myself just watching the AI race instead of being arsed to race myself. Talent files can easily be edited, to create realistic performance during a season. No weather, and graphics starting to look dated.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I still play AMS1 quite a bit - I still prefer aspects of it over AMS2, including the handling a some of the cars (eg. Opala Stock Cars still feel better to me in AMS1).

In terms of AI, whilst I still rate the AI in AMS1 overall higher than in AMS2 (than whole talent file setup works very well, which includes likelihood of AI errors, etc), I now find that AMS1 is more annoying than AMS2 in terms of the AI taking me out from behind. It perhaps varies from class to class but I find the AI in AMS2 in the classes I race is very clean now.

As others have said, as long as you recognise the typical behaviour of the AMS2 AI, particularly that they'll try to stick their nose up the inside whenever they get the chance, and drive accordingly, it's perfectly possible to race side by side with them, through many corners, without incident. I'd go as far to say that I'd expect cleaner races with them now than I would with the typical online race.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  10. Dan44AFCB

Yeah, I would agree that AMS2 AI do race cleaner, but just totally unrealistically. Running 3 wide on corners and off track, maintaining speed etc.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Ok, thanks guys. Good to get your insight :)

12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This was my experience in AMS2 in the past, although recent versions seem to have fixed some of it. The FClassics for example no longer go nuts when I try to race more than 20 AI. But I wonder if a change was made, where instead of downgrading the player physics when there are "too many" AI for the CPU, now the AI logic gets dumber? Just speculating on what could explain the wide range of experiences.

Also, has it been confirmed if the "-pthreads 4" command line option does anything in AMS2? In PC1 and maybe PC2, the physics (and AI?) were running on two cores only, which could cause bottlenecking and weird bugs when racing the AI. I have this set just in case but could never confirm if it actually does something.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

I'd forgotten about the pthreads command. Good idea! Also good to hear your observations about the ai. Once Ive finished doing the stuff Ive got to do, I'll try running a short versus long grid and see if I see any changes. Certainly if we can optimise the grid for our individual machinery then thats a good thing, and if an awareness of that is built on something solid then equally good.

Edit, some time later.... well I ran a full grid of 31 cars against a grid of one other ai and the good news is I certainly didnt observe any fundamental differences in either ai behaviour or my own setup behaviour. The only difference I observed was in performance which was to be expected on my machine, so if performance was assumed to be linked to ai or setup behaviour, I didnt see any evidence to support that hypothesis.

As regards aggression, with the one other ai test I varied it between 0 and 100 and observed that it was easy to keep up, pass and be passed at 0, but I was only able to keep up and have maybe one opportunity to pass in several laps at 100 aggression (110% difficulty, formula trainer, Brands Indy). I didnt see any other difference in behaviour, so for me at least the aggression slider is a fine tuning tool at best, pointless and a distraction at worst (I say worst because it doesnt adjust ai driving standards as such).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Few innacuracies in this assesment:
    • The AI is affected by driving line, grass or curbs as well as track conditions, but they do run on simplified driveline, suspension and tire models which mean the way those variations affect them is different and often to their advantage (for the sake of their ability to stay on the track);
    • AI will only effectively cut corners when it´s crowded out and judges backing off creates more problems than it solves - it´s never done purely for gaining an advantage
    • Swerving as per above is tied to AI aggression, and it does seem to be a bit excessive on some classes specially at higher AI Aggression settings - a more midrange setting here can help, but in any case this is one area we´re doing constant work on
    • This is not necessarily the case, although again as they do have simplified physics models it can often tip the consequences to their advantage
    • Again not the case, although indeed kept to a minimal primarily because their behavior following an off or a crash can trigger a chain reaction, and not being taken off by an AI melee is one area most players would agree they´d rather have things be less realistic than real racing than more ;)

In response to the topic at large - AI development in sims, somewhat similarly to what happens in physics can be a handful not only because it is likewise a complex area, but also because like in physics there is a wide range of opinions from users of how the AI should work and behave, and they´re often incoherent with each other - get them to race, and some people will complain they´re occasionally too agressive and dart and move around too much; get them do mistakes, and some people will complain when they get affected by it; get them to behave and stay within margins of safety or account for player mistakes and some will complain they´re too robotic and predictable :) And as with physics, the standard isn´t always realistic vs what can be offered by AI in any sim, irrespective of the fact none of the others have to contend with the range of performance and variety of tracks that AMS2 features (which does add to their complexity).

With that said, unlike physics it is possible to offer users more options for them to customize the AI to their preferences, and there are undoubtely several small details beyond purely perception that can add up to a frustrating AI experience, with some posts here alluding to various still-rough edges in behavior we do still plan to smooth out - as in with most development processes, steps have to be made one at a time.

Likewise there are issues that are specific to a given car or a given track or even specific settings - If you do come accross an incident, either in isolation or common within your experience that you believe to be an issue, please feel free to report it in the official AI Report Topic with as many details as you can assemble - if you manage to illustrate it with a video that will make te report all the more useful.

FYI, these are some AI behaviors affected by AI Aggression slider currently does the higher the user sets it:
    • Brake later when trying to overtake or avoid conceding position;
    • Lift less the throttle on straights and curves when in a complex situations (this also causes lap times to be faster on average due to less throttle lifting when in groups);
    • Make more abrupt lateral movements in reaction to other cars in attempt to find the best placing on the track;
    • Move earlier laterally to overtake a car (rather than getting very close to his bumper and staying in single lines);
    • Defend the position more often / earlier
    Now those combined fluctuations can actually lead to more incidents happening in lower aggression settings in certain situations, which is counter-intuitive and one of the things we intend to adjust moving forward (as well as tie up more variables to AI Aggression scalar so the user has a bigger range of behavior within that slider).

With regards to instances of player being rammed by the AI, here as in most areas there is a balance between minimizing the chances of that happening, without making them pushovers - currently they´re fairly racey but still have several functions to try account for player behavior (or misbehavior for that matter); still though they´re fallible and the chances of AI ramming you increases exponentially the higher their performance advantage is vs the player - this can be problematic if you´re trying to set up a multiclass race where you´re not running a car in the fastest class, when you´re running sub-optimal tires for the conditions or when the AI is simply set at an strength level that is considerably superior to the player´s - for the best AI experience ATM it´s best players to set the AI Strength to a level they can actually compete at the front (rather than struggling in the midfield), and AI Aggression somewhere around 50% as that´s the half point we use during development.

• Informative Informative x 16
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Thanks for engaging on this Renato.
    I have to say I cant remember the last time I was rear ended by the Ai. If I judge that the car behind is carrying some excess speed I'll leave the door open and try and get the cutback on corner exit, or bide my time for an overtake.
    For me the Ai in Rf2 is a good standard to reference. You can see the Ai cars sliding sometimes, they make mistakes sometimes (not often but enough) that rarely result in multiple pile ups. You shouldnt get collected if you drive to avoid and if you do.. no money lost, no lives lost, but its very immersive.
    The Ai in AMS2 in really good fun to race against but its lacking that certain something right now that really drags the player in time and again. The problem is exemplified in my custom championship, second time around. Theres very little different from the first time around. Same cars in the same places racing in the same groups doing the same lap times to the same result with no surprises and no variation. Its this that I hope gets fleshed out, rather than little shuffles here and there. Hopefully it will happen, but Im sure that Im not alone in being slightly concerned at the legacy of having to deal with ai physics running alongside player physics to give an homogenous experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John Eagle

John Eagle New Member

Thanks for explaining things from your side Renato. It makes a big difference to hear from developers and have things clarified.

Communication on some of the ways the AI works & what variables the AI settings affect changes perspective on things and hopefully helps with the varying opinions on AI, particularly that we now have a better idea on what to look for when changing settings or being in certain situations on track.

The primary concerns (AI being stuck in groups, too fast/slow on various turns, aggression behaviour - hitting walls, going off track, etc.) sound well heard and I'm looking forward to future AI updates and how it changes the racing experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

I do wonder how far away we are from something like an A.I that uses the players time(s) or even lines as a base, then with variation in the field forwards and backwards speed wise. Is something like that plausible in the near future? Either way, things will keep improving. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  18. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

As long as it doesn't use racing lines data from me, that might work!

19. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Apologies if I came across a bit harsh. Just find AI frustration. No offence meant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

NP m8, we all have frustration from time to time.
    And we all have an other definition on how a good AI should drive.