1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FWD done right

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Jul 5, 2021.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I used to own a Ford TX3 Turbo FWD and really didnt like the FWD wheel spin after all my years owning RWD cars but got a good understanding of torque steer from that car, i always avoid FWD cars in Sims (and irl) but today tried to old Austin Cooper S and to my surprise it felt almost exactly as i remember my old car feeling with the torque steer, only tried driving in the wet which really brings the torque steer to the front.
    Really really well done FWD feel, probably fun in online league or something.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree. The most powerful FWD car I've driven is a Volvo 850 T5, and the feeling of torque steer is similar.

The Austin Cooper S really comes alive at Cadwell Park :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

Nah i dislike Cadwell bad :oops:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. RNoctua

RNoctua New Member

I have a MINI F56(1.5T, JCW wheels :D) and have driven a JCW 2.0 F56 2018MY, 231 hp. Yes, all done right. Sure, there's a difference between a MINI Challenge racecar and a road-going JCW, but the feeling doesn't seem wrong

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Interestingly also a Peugeot 106 i was stomping a bit on throttle had this kind of torque steer (comparable to the old Mini) and it wasn't even a powerful car :D

6. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I thought I was the only one. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. chonk

chonk New Member AMS2 Club Member

Caldwell is great for bikes, nightmare for cars though, it's so feicin narrow. The smaller the vehicle the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

It's a shame as I love the layout of Cadwell Park, but it's a bike/cart track really ... just for a laugh I tried the GTEs' round there with me in the M8. It did not end well:D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I'm not a great fan of FWD cars in AMS2. While the Force feedback of the torque might feel right for older cars, there is something wrong with the JCW, and in general, with FDW, the lift off oversteer in AMS2 is exegerated. I noticed that newer decent (150hp) powered cars with traction control, like the Mini Cooper S, Golf MK7 or even light ones like the Up! GTI don't feature any more "feeling" in the wheel for torque. The worst I remember was the Golf MK4 GTI, the first one with a turbo. There it was felt through the steering when the Turbo kicked in, because it had a lot of turbo lag. Lift off oversteer is also basically cancelled in newer FWD cars, even if you try to provoke it. I guess it's TC and ESP and active differntials that cancels it out.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  10. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

The best choice for Copa Truck! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I just remember the ad when I was a kid

• Like Like x 1
  12. 2ndLastJedi

Haha, i don't remember the ad, i had the round light version, the turbo beast :cool:
    White 1988 KE Laser TX3 Turbo Front wheel drive white images (1).png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Ι m a big fan of FWD cars. But the problem in ams2 is the poor (default) setup they have + the lift off oversteer (as @McClutch said) for all of them (one major issue for this oversteer is the high values of the rear tyre pressures..).

They need to be tweaked in order to perform well. But even then they are not 100% perfect

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  14. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would love to see some fast FWD touring cars in AMS2, something like BTCC cars or modern TCR

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Seeing as AMS has a leaning towards historical content, the famed 1998 BTCC cars, or fictitious equivalents, would be interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

No need to be fast. One car i d also love 2 see is the renault clio cup car. Small and agile. Perfect for bumper to bumper races :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. McClutch

I always had a lot of fun with the Golf 2 GTi 16V in Dirt Rally. I managed to get a "real feel" setup that reminded me a lot of the real one. It included only minimal lift off oversteer. I would like to see one as street cars in AMS2. A modern TCR Golf 7, like driven in the NLS would also be very cool... as long as it has front lights.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  18. 2ndLastJedi

Doesn't the Copa Uno cover this kind of?

19. McClutch

The current FWD cars, the Copa cars or 60's Mini in particular, are either undrivable with their loose tails, or are unwilling to turn in like the Mini JCW. None of them reflects the high speed driving I'm use to with high powerede FWD cars since the Golf IV GTi (that also had no TC and no LSD, but lots of turbo lag) and the Mini Cooper S (TC,ESP) If FWD cars were really that bad RL I would not drive them on a daily base. The power understeer and lift off oversteer is both overdone and simply exegerated in AMS2, or in the case of the MIni JCW, why would a race version of the same car be more unwilling to turn in. compard to the road version? Stiffer Diff is the only possible answer, but that is long overcome by the use of adaptive visco differentials and electronic diffencials (XDS) in FWD cars. Elektronische Differenzialsperre (XDS) limitedslip.de

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  20. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You are comparing a road prepped car with race prepped cars here. Despite the engine and drive location, there is nothing alike, compared to a Golf IV GTI with these cars, you mentioned. And honestly: Undrivable is a very high exaggeration, especially for the Uno. I'm pretty sure, you don't want to drive these cars on a daily base because of the noise level alone, anyway...

• Agree Agree x 1