Thunderstorm and night bugs.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Bizarre Formula, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just highlighting something I spotted while driving Virginia at night in a storm, I guess it is not track track unique. The splash effect is lit up even when the lightning is not flashing, took me a while to catch it but the screenshot is below. There is something else that is regularly there on night races online, no matter the track or car; a 'shadow ghost' is left stationary on the track, the position can be random, but it looks like a semi-opaque, black outline of a car, my friends have mentioned it too.

Sadly I haven't had a chance to take a screenshot of that one because it normally happens in an online race, have any of you seen or captured it?

Hope it helps anyway, night looks so good so it's a shame the water splashes don't match the puddles and lighting.

Cheers

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I've seen both issues, the splash happens all the time with wet track and the static shadow is easily seen when driving slowly out of the pits at night in clear conditions, I noticed it last at old Spa in the 74 RSR.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems to be the water effect, it's really bright white in the thunderstorm too, just caught it again during the day this time. The screenshot was in monitor mode but I saw the same brightness during the race too, it sort of flickers. =P

Not major but certainly strange! 20210809023749_3.jpg

4. 2ndLastJedi

I'm hoping now that Ilja is on the case Reiza will just move on from the older existing weather effects and let him do him magic that he has done for AC. The rain/water effects are truly next gen there especially given the age and sophistication of that engine and I feel the Madness engine can go even further with the right lead and time to work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Oooh, interesting. In that case I hope they can improve the performance.. especially at night without losing the fantastic way the shadows dance about in front of you from the headlights behind. Even with my 11900K/3080.. in VR I get serious frame rate drops at various places on various circuits when racing at night. If I know I am going to race at night at a more demanding track, I set my SteamVR SS to 74%!

I know there are people in these very forums who claim they are running on max settings with max cars at all tracks in all weather at all times in VR with no performance drop with a mere 2080S.. but whenever I asked them to indicate what Frame rate that get under a set of exact conditions so I can compare and see whats going on with my setup, I never hear from them again so I put that claim in the BS box.

6. 2ndLastJedi

I run mostly high across the board but MSAA medium now and getting solid fps even in storms and night and combined night/storms. I think something has definitely changed somewhere and i haven't done anything to my PC in years. I'm running triples mind you and happy to lock on 60 fps. Things are looking up...im testing on the beta currently.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

I'm trying to run at solid 90fps in the Vive pro. Admittedly its mostly tracks like Nurburgring Veedol and Kansai that have the biggest dips at night and only on certain parts. I do run high/ultra with MSAA/Shadows on medium otherwise I find the aliasing is quite bad. Fingers crossed this does indeed get optimised. I like to run quick races with time progression x60. Its a shame to have 90% of your race run super smooth and the other 10% with a bit of the odd stutter from time to time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have not seen that bright splash before but definitely do the shadow ghost, it was inherited from PC2, either SMS couldn't fix it or couldn't be bothered to. I saw a post a while back saying that Reiza haven't been able to pin down yet why it occurs.

9. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

A weird thing I have found is that setting particle density and level to their highest (one high the other ultra) improved rain performance over my previous settings of medium. Counterintuitive but seems to be the case. I still get framerate drops though in some corners and these vary in severity by track.

• Informative Informative x 2