1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trail braking general question

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Russ sears, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Russ sears

Russ sears New Member

Is there any pedal / car combination where you can actually feel trail braking working and have it respond anything like in a real car? I have FANATEC inverted pedals and have tried just about every conceivable hardware or configuration setting, but I just can't seem to make any car respond by lightening the rear end either going into, or in the middle of a turn. I dunno, maybe I'm just expecting too much from any sim, because AMS2 is not the only sim where I have this problem. Hmmm, a skid pad track might be an interesting add-on for geeks like me to play with stuff like this.

2. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figures out what this Trail Braking is in RL, I did not manage to find any use in RL with any cars so far. I tend to belive it's a Sim Myth or something with the setup of vintage US road cars. (stiffer in the rear softer in the front and RWD.)

Some cars have a definitive usable brake oversteer in AMS2, like all Porsches, but I dont see a real advantage compared to clean cornering under throttle.
    In general I foudn out that I don't get faster by braking later but harder.
    Key point is the right momentum after turn in and the right amount of brake pressure.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

About every car in the game for me, some even are too sensitive to it due to setup and/or weight bias, tbh....:confused:

4. CrimsonEminence

This video was made, when this channel even didn't had a sim racing section still.

Trail braking is a real life technique...please read into traction/grip circle.
    Trail braking isn't "braking later but harder". It's modulating brake pressure and coming off the brakes onto the apex. If you don't find time by doing it, you're likely doing it wrong. (Or driving a Cup Porsche :whistle:)

• Like Like x 2
  5. McClutch

What I mean is that RL and in AMS2 the effect is rather subtle compared to other titles, DiRT rally 2.0 comes to my mind where lift off oversteer and braking around the corners is absolutely exagerated.

6. CrimsonEminence

You said, you did not manage to find any use in RL with any cars so far and not seeing any advantage, even calling it a sim myth. And this is factually not true. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. McClutch

Exspecting it to do wonders, that's what I still consider a Sim Myth just liek "drifting is the fastest way through a corner". See my DiRT reference.

8. CrimsonEminence

It does wonders. Trail Braking executed correctly (which isn't easy and depends on the car, of course) does "fill" your traction circle, instead of driving a "traction triangle" which can bring you massive amounts of time. (AMS2 and RL)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Le_Poilu

Le_Poilu Member AMS2 Club Member

Wait.. there's a big misconception of what is trail braking here :eek:

Trail braking is not about making the rear end lighter at all, it's not a "handbrake turn".

Trail braking is about maximizing grip level of the tires under load:
    Braking apply longitudinal load to the tire, turning apply transversal load.
    A tire can only accept a finite amount of load before losing grip, so if you're still braking hard when starting to turn you'll apply more load that tires can accept => you'll loose grip.

Trail braking is juste about getting lighter on the brake when starting to turn so the tire can have more grip for turning. The more you turn, the less you apply break pressure. Doing that you'll maximise the speed you'll be able to enter into corner.
    Instead of braking hard in straight line, release brake then turning you'll start to turn while still braking, but soflly releasing brakes.

It's easy to experiment: Take any GT3 car with ABS. Enter into a corner too quick while braking hard => you'll understeer and go almost straight even without tire lock (thanks ABS magic).
    Try the same but release the brake progressively => car will turn even if you're speed may be higher than previously.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

Completely spot-on! This dance on the "finite amount of load => grip until load adds up to high" makes the difficulty of it and is a very rewarding, or very frustrating experience and of course each sim will do it a bit differently for obvious reasons like the tire model. :)

11. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@CrimsonEminence Thought Trail-braking was putting your brakebias to the rear, tap the brake, so the rear goes out and then take the corner with ease.. At last.. in Rally aka RBR and Dirt Rally 1. Don't think tapping the rear to go out is a good technique for circuit racing :D

12. CrimsonEminence

Uhm no. That technique is called suicide... :whistle:

13. McClutch

Walther Röhrl did that for a while in the early Audi Quattro days, since that cars had no hydraulic e-brake. But even he switched to a more precise planign ahead driving style way before, when sideways was no more the appropriate way because tires got better lateral grip. (Starting with the FIAT 131)

14. Marius H

Imho, it worked wonders in Dirt Rally 1. I always adjusted my rear-brake bias to the rear. When I approached a corner I would briefly tap the brake , so the car would break out and I could take the corner much easier. You may not believe me but it gave me world records, top 10, top 20. Even a workshop with 100+ setups with 5 stars. Too bad I deleted the workshop at the end of 2017 cause I was fed up with the direction Dirt 4 went, lol. Dirt Rally 1 is still in my heart, but I can't go back anymore. RBR is the king.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CrimsonEminence

It's still not trail braking, just to make sure, there are no misunderstandings. Watch the posted video above for an overview, what trail braking actually does.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Marius H

Yeah, I know. I thought it was trail-braking :D Never too old to learn.

17. Russ sears

Russ sears New Member

Your right! It's DEF a technique in RL. I've driven and raced Miatas ( super Miatas actually, an e prod body style but supercharged), BMWs, and last, an Ariel Atom ... and it's something that is useful, and even mandatory to turn quick lap times. Each car has it in varying degrees, but it's there. Always. I just haven't been able to do a setup for any car in AMS2 where the on track performance matches anything close. Specifically, what Im looking for is the ability to apply just enough brake to help the car rotate into a turn. Maybe I'm looking for something that's just too subtle. Dunno. I just can't seem to come up with any setup (hardware and software) Maybe I need to go to a full motion sim to feel it " in the butt", but I'd be happy with being able to override the inherent way a car performs.

18. Russ sears

Russ sears New Member

I -can- get it to occur, but to me at least, it's not something that's controllable. I can do a setup for any car, but what I get is a light switch type behavior, and what I'm after is being able to control it after a turn is initiated. Does that make sense?

19. Russ sears

Russ sears New Member

That's what I would like to have posted LOL. and it's about as clear of a description as you can get. Thanks!

20. CrimsonEminence

Try lowering your brake pedal axis sensitivity a bit. OR try increasing it. I run 45 brake pedal sensitivity, because the Fanatec CSP V3 loadcell does have a bit of travel, that especially for formula cars would be a bit much and it helps a bit to dance on the "pressure point" with slightly reduced sensitivity. (Also requires me to use the pedal a bit harder, which i personally like)