1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telemetry software with AMS2 - choices?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Magnus, Mar 9, 2021.

1. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Motec would be great, using this with GTR1 and GTR2 was perfect.

But in general, whatever you use, telemtetry does not make a faster driver. The first and most important thing is to know his own preferences how a car should feel on track (i.e. tight / loose). What makes faster is that you can trust the car, feel comfortable with its handling. Telemetry (independing which in use) helps to make differences in car setup and reaction to that visible. With this help it is possible to find the last 0.1 seconds (if you can interpret the data correctly) but not to be 0.5....and more faster!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The driver has to know that something is "wrong" with the car or that they are losing time somewhere.

Telemetry can tell what the source of the problem is. It can also tell when the driver is not taking the optimal line or is not braking/accelerating optimally. Z1 for example tells you how hard you are braking, how long your braking distances are, and whether you are missing some apexes.

Setup change can remove the problem, making the car easier to drive.

It is then the driver's job to drive faster and more accurately. This can lead to gains of 1 sec or more per lap when successful.

3. alink

Hm...., I think a driver (should) feels that himself and does not need a "tool" which tells that.
    Just thinking: if you need to turn the steerging wheel to corners direction after passing apex avoiding going off track, then your speed through apex is too high (or you missed apex). If you have to open steering completely to get to the outside after apex then your speed was too low. If you have to lift brake pedal not to go too slow, then braking is too early, but if braking at the edge with locking up, then braking was too late.....
    So, this is a fundamental thing in racing.
    If it is neccessary to have telemetry to be seconds faster, how was it possible to have a closed field before this technics? How could drivers found the limit back in pre 50s, 60s, 70s?

Whatever, what I mean is that there is no "right" telemetry software and that you do not think with telemetry I can solve everything and be seconds faster. Telemetry is hard to understand, it needs a lot of experience to interpret and use data correctly. And at the end, it helps for some fine tuning and adjustments to be a <>1/10s faster or have a more stable car over long distances (i.e. the trend of tire pressure over time).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  4. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I don’t want to sit with the fence up my backside but the two aren’t mutually exclusive surely? Some people will learn by feel, some will benefit from seeing data of their mistakes and I’d have thought most would improve using both methods.

I’ve been watching old F1 races on YT recently and saw David Coulthard interviewed about why Mika was getting off the line so much quicker than him, he said having looked at the telemetry it was clear Mika was able to modulate the new (at whatever race it was) clutch better than him and he would concentrate on that in practice for the next race. From my point of view, seeing data that shows why I’m slower here or there takes away any guess work....and with my experience guesswork is only going to lead to more problems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. alink

This is the difference: David could ask Mika and they can compare their drivings.
    OK, maybe it is because I am a single player and don't use contact with others, so I just can compare my own laps. But if I always compare my same wrong driving, I never can see the wrong driving. So I learned "to feel" the car to get the best and use telemetry for fine tuning. Later, when driven several laps with different drivings/setups, I compare my laps to see what was faster, i.e. using a higher a lower gear, braking eralier or later, and so on.

6. Iko Rein

Iko Rein Member AMS2 Club Member

Here is shameless self-promotion.

With my tool mentioned earlier: Telemetry Application Version 10 for AMS2
    you can save opponent laps from Online or Offline races (works with AMS2, PC2, F1 2018 or newer and ACC) and then compare the laptime traces and speed traces to your best (or other laps) to find out, where you are losing time. This way you can 1) identify where you lost those 2 seconds and 2) where you need to focus on your practice.

The opponent lap trace is bit limited (in AMS2, speed & time trace). It works also in Time Attack with the Ghosts, so you can at least get a rough idea, where you are losing time to the ghost in hotlapping.

Cheers.

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

An example from the more professional telemetry tool (MoteC) which I used in iRacing years ago to calculate the difference of grip between 2 differents setups.
    In the right part is displayed the individual laps with Front(Fgrip), Rear(Rgrip) and total grip(F+Rgrip/2) - measured for the two setups: Setup 1 and Setup 2 on a session of 2 x 7 laps.
    To the left is averaged the same 2 x 7 laps - to decide which of the setups is best (= aiming for highest grip in this scenario).:cool:

ByTheWay: You can guess if I finally decided to use the setup given a total grip value of 15.07 or the one given 14.75?:D

GripCompare lap2-7klipklipTxt.png

8. alink

Sorry, maybe I am not up-to-date what is possible today with interacting between games / SIMs and other software...
    And mybe I am a bit "old-school", but that's why I love all the historic contents in AMS :)
    Just take your experience and drive around the track, the experience makes you fast and not any software (as long as the driver is not a robot, but with autonomic driving also this will change in future).
    But if not understanding what the values mean, the best tool, also it will tell you what you do wrong, just to trust that tool without knowing background may help once, but you will never know why.
    It is not like ask Google or Alexa and you get the right answer....and by the way, Google and Alexa tells you only what you should hear independent if it is true or wrong.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. BrunoB

I know you are not adressing me - but in my example above then (if I remember right) the only difference between the tested Setup 1 and setup 2 was only one(1) setup parameter.
    So you dont have to be old school or "young" school to figure out what to change or not change in the setup.
    The telemetry tool MoteC told me.;)
    Or rather helped me to decide what to change.:cool:

ByTheWay: Personally I dont see a point in making use of as example a telemetry tool rocket science.

10. alink

that's the point! And because of your experience, you interpreted it correct and knew what to do.
    But to say it last time, telemetry is not a magic bullet and it only shows values in different charts. With Motec you had the chance to make your own charts and calculations, with RST for example you don't. But maybe with others, I don't know.

11. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The only one here claiming telemetry is a magic bullet is you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. alink

if so, then I'm sorry

13. BrunoB

No its not - but to be fair nobody here does claim it is.
    But telemetry is a great tool and I used it mainly to get a more substantial proof that my setup changes was in the corect direction.
    I mean instead of being only based on what what my "feeling" was after testing a specific setup:rolleyes:

I used the "real" MoteC a lot in both iRacing and rF2 - and feel it as a huge loss in AMS2 that Im unable to re-use my custom created charts/calculations here.
    As example the mentioned grip calculation above - that was one of my most usefull creations ;)

ByTheWay: How ones feelings can be completely off was pointed out by Alain Prost when he said that when he felt a lap was going smooth he was often slow - but when he felt it more hectic(?) and awkward(?) the lap was often really fast.
    Hehe the "?" does show that I cant really remember his exact words - but you know the meaning:D

14. IamDom.

IamDom. Member

I've not tried any software yet, so looking myself, has anyone had the cajonas to install unitedracingdata.com telemetry program?

I ask as I get win10 virus warnings when downloading and trying to install so haven't gone through with it... yet...

15. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I use unitedracingdata.com - easy to compare my laps with faster folks to see where/how on track they’re quicker.

• Like Like x 1