1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Save car setup confusing me

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Zolazem, Jun 7, 2020.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I doesnt need to be codified, all it needs to be is unique.

2. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Any way you look at it, saving setups is not ideal and could use some work. Once again, priorities dictate this stuff. I'm sure Reiza would love to make saving setups glamorous, but for now it is what it is and we need to work within it's constraints. Not impossible, just annoying.

3. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

If you're a software engineer and a "nerd" then you should understand simple naming conventions.
    1) the setup name length limit is obviously less than ideal, so you need to work within that.
    2) put anything descriptive in the description field

In your previous example a simple solution would be:
    Name: "Merc GT3 N24H 01"
    Description: "Nordschleife - dry & warm"

I don't really see the challenge here. It needs to be a short and unique name.

...hopefully you can navigate your way through this disturbing experience. Some of the other sim racers and I are praying for a speedy recovery and that you'll be back entering setup names and descriptions in no time.
    God speed.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. marc woolery

marc woolery New Member

mostly tires and wing angle for me... otherwise i need my slide rule and my smock. And in car adjustments are more fun, we have to jsutify all of the button boxes right ?

5. EnterTheBiscuit

EnterTheBiscuit New Member

I do, and I can do it all by myself, without the help of condescending twats thanks very much. I have a lot of experience in requirements analysis; accessibility and UX. It's not that I can't put my mind to it, it's that I refuse to try that hard to work around something so fundamental. I may be a self-professed nerd but i am also a human presented with an unusable interface. And, thanks for the suggestion, but clearly you and I bring different knowledge to the table that influences how we might tackle "simple" naming conventions, and that is exactly the problem in forcing users to truncate their names so heavily:-
    1) why did you put 24 in there; it means nothing to me. 24hours? Why?
    2) "N" clearly isn't enough of an identifier for a track - either a specific circuit or a collection.
    3) what about the three different historic hockenheim circuits or the multiple Interlagos kart circuits. Naming those in tandom with other values adds more complexity still, and thats without other supporting values like dry or wet or whatever. That is exactly my point about this; it is not practical because it is not sustainable. It does not scale.

Adding extra stuff to the description may help me decode things later but the unique constraint and char length limit is on the name field alone so the problem is in populating it before you can save it. Im happy to abbreviate but when you're down to single letter flags it's time to rethink the experience. I had planned to play with all the cars from GT to old classics to F1 etc. Thats a lot of combinations to manage a schema of symbols. ...and why the hell should anyone have to burden themselves with that. You think im being unreasonable but im not. This is not a Beta or a pre-release or some open-source project without warranty developed by a one person team. This is a commercial product that is in production and it wont even let me write a name in a box, to store the settings it will use as a key part of being a simulator. Thing i bought it for. Its USP. This isnt Forza Horizon.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. EnterTheBiscuit

Agreed, except that the char length limit creates a need to codify. Any abbreviations; truncations acronyms become a code. A schema. Its not very human. Thats what i mean by codified :) and in this case the limitation is extreme, so the codification is too, as a result.

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I would really like more characters available as well, that is my only real gripe with the setup system, many times I have run out of characters trying to give the setup an explanation that makes sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ray64040

ray64040 Member AMS2 Club Member

Just needs to be unique for that car, so you can leave the make and model out of the name. When you go to load a setup, you will only see ones you saved or that were autosaved for that car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

True, more characters would still be beneficial as well though

10. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

I hope they get rid of that useless leftover
    a filebase xml or ini without that ( pCARS console based ) restrictions and encryption would be best.
    file name = setup name !!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. EnterTheBiscuit

I wish id known this before posting anything. When you first save a setup it pre-populates... with the make and class of car *sigh*. I mean, the natural train of thought there is to append it. I never thought to remove what looked like key context from the name.

Despite the heated, sarcastic and humorous responses here, i do want to thank people for trying to help. Its not so helpful to feel patronised or insulted, and we are all different in some way. It is good to know that i can totally omit "Mercedes AMG GT3" now *sweating laugh*

• Like Like x 2