1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

5.0.1 makes a big difference to me in terms of those crazy jolts / much too strong bumps - still a few but much less dramatic and my wrists thank you :)

Hope to see the power steering back as I really do miss that load up feel during cornering.

really glad you are back at it - thank you very much !

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Hi

that’s a very good question and hard to describe.
    but for me it’s when you have entered into a slight slide around and out of a corner, and you are counter steering to control the oversteer, it give this real sense of the angle the front tires are on and how they are interacting with the road and bite on the surface.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Daniel Escalona

Daniel Escalona Member

I've been sticked to the default+ since it's arrival at 1.3 update and IMO it's the best ffb Reiza has achieved so far. Until I decided to take a look at Karsten's rFuktor 5 and after some heavy testing I must say that what you guys have achieved here is a true piece of art! I can't agree more with @tUMi : I can finally understand precisely every bit of information transmitted by the track and the car.
    I have tried many custom files and in my experience when they get good at "immersion" they tend to fail informatively and when they get to "speak" more clearly then they tend to lack realism.
    It's what I like about this ffb, it has a very good balance in the immersion factor and communication, in fact I think this custom file could be setting a new standard for AMS2 and IMHO Reiza should adjust her compass in this direction for their next iteration of ffb.
    The only thing I would like to adjust is the strength of the kervs effect which for the level I usually use the FX is a bit strong for my taste. Someone might suggest to lower the FX level but I don't want to because the scrub and wheel slip effect is already right where I want it.
    Any suggestions which line of code modifies the strength of the kervs effect?
    Actually, kudos to all of you guys @Kuku Maddog @Stakanov @Karsten Hvidberg @Panos Schoino @Shadak and all the others who direct or indirectly contributed to improve the ffb in this great game thank you for all the great effort and dedication you have put into these files!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg
    @Panos Schoino

V5.01 feels really good to me from my brief testing. I haven't had a chance to try it with a wide variety of cars but, I'm able to get plenty of FX.

I had to increase the Gain well above what I normally run but, reduced the amount of Constant Damping in TD to zero (In-game Damping at 50%).

Overall, really nice work, guys. Can't wait to spend more time in various cars testing this. ;)

Update: I need to revise my early impression just a tiny bit after trying a few more cars:
    This custom file you've created is Brilliant! :)

One thing I noticed though, (when having an off and spinning on grass) it may result in very strong forces. I didn't experience a strong pull with wall contact, though.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey Daniel,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the files!

The kerb effect has scales:

kerb_bump_scale
    and
    kerb_surface_scale

Depending on which part you want to change you can lower those values.

Best,

-K

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just on this note, would you have any idea if Reiza reduced these in the v1.3 update and up. I don't seem to get anywhere near the same thumps etc as you initially hit the kerb and when you drop off them. Just wondering.

7. Karsten Hvidberg

No, I'm sorry, I have no idea. But if you feel they did, I'm sure there's a good chance it was the case.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mathias[NuoSimulation]

Mathias[NuoSimulation] New Member

The hotfix is awesome Karsten. I now have a great feeling for the limit and the steering wheel doesn't bounce on the curbs any more. I can even ride with fx 30 now. I think that's the new standard.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I’m testing the hot fix 5.01 version now and had to jump on the forum to say “ooooh, that’s nice.”

I took a P4 MRX around Nords in an online race yesterday and was getting the jolts mentioned before. This morning, doing the same track and car combo was just superb. Caterhams at Bathurst, Sigma P1 at Brands and the BMW GTE around Ibarra and it’s all superb.

My only change was to bump the gain up a fair whack from 65 to 75 - I must like a fair bit of gain I suppose.

Rich in detail and with the force I like whilst losing none of that incredible information, the oversteer/under steer forces are so informative, incredible. Can so few changes really make that much difference? :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

What’s your settings for the other sliders? Just got my CSL DD .

Great work to everyone involved in this project.

11. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Gain 75
    LFB 15
    FX 30
    Damper 5
    Menu strength 20

Base setup as suggested by Fanatec

• Like Like x 1
  12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Marcin

Marcin Member

@Karsten Hvidberg Great fix. I didn't encountered jolts so far. Tested bmw Evo GT3 and feels amazing!!!

14. Karsten Hvidberg

@Domagoj Lovric has just confirmed this is the mesh, as @Kuku Maddog suspected some time ago.
    I will look at how much softer the bumps on Monza10k need to be to work ok. @Domagoj Lovric has suggested how we can deal with it in the near future.

Best,

-K

• Winner Winner x 4
  15. Manolo

Manolo Member

Wow Karsten it would be a great "gift" to be able to eliminate this strange anomaly or this excessive bump which I remember feels especially very strong with Formula cars! ;)

Thanks to all of you and to Reiza!!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have now also tried the 5.1 file with the Procar M1 on Oultonpark. It seems a bit too muffled to me. I do not know how to describe it but with the Default + you can really feel how the car twists and the load change is also comes much more directly to the steering wheel. With the Custom 5.1 file I have more trouble to feel the position of the springs of the car. Is it possibly due to my DD1 settings?

Sorry for the bad English it is an online translation

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

In the in-game menu it seems you have selected "Default", not "Custom". Not sure if that is just an accident when creating the image?

18. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Dunno but using a custom FFB you need to setup CUSTOM in game menu (not DEFAULT)

EDIT: Late to the party :rolleyes:

19. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I took the screenshot a few days ago. But the same settings I also use with Default+ and the Custom File.

20. Karsten Hvidberg

Ok,

As first thing I would say that to me the M1 unf. is one of the cars that feels the farthest from how I think it would feel irl, regardless of FFB used. It is sliding a lot and the suspension seems very un-sporty.

But reg. your settings, for the custom file you can try something like:

* In fanatec settings: Decrease friction and damping to 0.
    * Set in-game damping to maybe 25% at first.
    * Set in-game LFB to maybe 10-12% or so. LFB is not more "correct" at 0 or 20, it is whatever feels best to you.
    * Lower the in-game gain slightly. Maybe down to 40 or 45%.

Best guesses as I don't have your base, but I think it would help. Mostly the LFB part, so try that up & down.

As said I think the car is a bad case right now, I'm afraid. I'm really looking forward to that one being tuned in the physics department.