1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black screen after exit to desktop

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Racer63, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Racer63

Racer63 Member

All is working perfect, I do my race or practice or wathever. Then I have to close the game but after closing screen turns to black, just the white cursor on screen. I can Alt-Tab but I can´t close the game or open process manager to close it neither return to windows.

Any idea on this? Is the only problem I have with AMS2. No problems with other installed sims.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Check your event manager for events at the same time time as the crash.
    Guess: It could be something with "Display driver crashed".

ByTheWay: When this blackie happens for me I just CtrAltDel and then instead of launching Task manager I choose the Restart button to the right (in Win7).

3. Racer63

Racer63 Member

I 'll try the event manager next time.

The workarounds I tried: Check for weird 59 hz refresh rate in display properties and change to 60.

Changed a couple of settings in AMD's catalyst but to no avail.

What I didn't try: shut off and on the monitor. Some people reported that this is one of the solutions:eek:

The Win10 anniversary is reported to be the cause for black screens in some other games.

To go back to windows just CtrlAltDel and Close Session. It restarts win10 desktop.

Thank you for your suggestions.

4. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the exact same issue, black screen & can't even get to task manager. Do you happen to use Logitech G-Hub? any device, could be a mouse, wheel or keyboard. the last 2 G-Hub drivers are what's causing it for me. I have a G 923 , Logitech mouse & keyboard. G-Hub also causes rF2 to hang and ACC as well however both those games I can shut down with task manager where with AMS2 the black screen keeps focus and won't let task manager take over the screen. I can see TM if I alt/tab but can't get it to take focus.. restart is the only way to get my PC back.
    If you don't have any Logitech devices, IDK what else it could be & I'm curious for a fix if you do find one!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

I do not have this issue, but I've read a few forum posts (on other forums) about it.

In some cases, it seems to be related to running games (or applications) in exclusive full screen mode.
    As a workaround, or purely as a test, you could try running AMS 2 in borderless, or windowed mode and see if the behaviour changes. If you're not using full screen mode, I'd still suggest changing the window mode of the game - purely as a test.
    Here's an article as a reference.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...een-mode/89040af9-c3f9-40d0-a92c-44d1f4c56ab3
    There's also a troubleshooting guide for it from Microsoft, but I have doubts that this will lead to any useful information, but you could try it:
    Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    You'll note at the start of that guide it lists 3 potential causes:
    • Connection problems with your monitor or screen
    • Display adapter driver update issues
    • Issues with recent system updates or installations
    You could be looking at multiple potential root causes, but if I had to give any advice to someone troubleshooting it, other than obvious things like event logs, I'd suggest uninstalling your graphics driver completely, rebooting the PC (to flush your memory & get the computer into a known state) and then reinstalling it freshly - purely to make sure it's not an issue with you GPU's device drivers.
    I'm suggesting the driver reinstallation, assuming you have not done that already, or are confident it's fine.
    Also avoid using beta level GPU drivers etc, but that should be pretty obvious.
    Good luck.

6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Not bad suggestions. Because if the black screen does not allow a TaskManager kill of the process (AMS2) then my experience is that it could (could :rolleyes:) have something to do with the GPU driver.
    Hehe not a suggestion but Im running with an older than old driver to my GPU - because it is functioning pretty good.
    As I recall it is about 10 years old - but never mess with a (good) running system I guess.:p

ByTheWay: The 59 vs 60 hz does not solve anything. Many 60 hz systems does mandatory report using 59 hz

7. Racer63

Racer63 Member

Yes, I have the g923 and the infamous G-Hub. I haven't noted any related Logitech problems in AC, RRE or AMS1 before, but will be one more thing to do and try, go back to previous drivers.

8. Kro

Good to know, the fix for rF2 was to go back to the previous drivers (2 back) or uninstall G-Hub all together, some players were able to get there game (rF2) to close by simply turning off G-Hub before they start the game but this did not work for me in either rF2 ACC or AMS2..

9. Kro

I have received a message from Logitech regarding the issue from my initial report of the problem, in my report to them I explained how its effecting the 3 titles rF2, ACC& AMS2 and how removing G-Hub latest drivers fix's it .. This is the response I got today:

Thanks for reaching out.

We're working on identifying the source of the bug and resolving it with a future G-Hub release.

We would request you to use Task Manager to end the task, rather than quitting using the game's menus.

In case you need any additional support, please write back to us.

Regards,
    Siddharth S
    Logi G Support

So, we will see what happens next, if anything lol, Fingers crossed...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Racer63

Racer63 Member

Just to point out in my case the problem only affects AMS2. AC, RFactor or RRE work ok with GHub no problems at all.

11. Kro

For me, yes rF2,& ACC exit properly but remain "open" in task manager so when I try to re start one of those games after playing earlier it tells me it's already running.:rolleyes: so I have to end task in TM. I also have the full meal deal= Logitech mouse, keyboard & wheel (G923)..

12. Racer63

Racer63 Member

Solved for me. Last Logitech update 2002.2.9146 did the trick. Thank you Kro for reporting the problem with Logitech.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1