Porsche license

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Koba, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Koba

Koba Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I suppose it might be too late for AMS, but...
    Porsche Comes to iRacing - The Floodgates Open - Inside Sim Racing
    The ridiculous exclusive EA license is over—AC has Porsche, iRacing has Porsche, is it possible to get an AMS DLC Porsche pack? Perhaps there's time to fit in a nice 3-car pack before AMS development is over? Of course then there would be the issue of which three cars to include.

I fear the answer is that the license cost is too high for a small title for AMS, but one can dream. Maybe it's a possibility for Reiza17 (or is that Reiza18)?

2. FeltHat

FeltHat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

if its possible id say save it for reiza17

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Msportdan

Msportdan Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

it could be quite expensive.. ?

4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Clearly, Porsche has seen the light and understand that they have more to gain than to lose by having their cars represented in Racing-Sims. That's not to suggest that it's easy or inexpensive to license them but, it may nudge other brands to follow and be more reasonable to deal with for smaller studios - who knows.

Personally, I've always felt things are backwards here; shouldn't the manufacturers be paying game-studios for the benefit of having their cars represented in quality titles? :)

One of the Porsche execs commented that he was shocked at how much play the RUF brand cars got in Racing-Sims so I imagine that had to raise a few eyebrows around the board-meeting table.o_O:D

5. David Dominguez

David Dominguez Member AMS2 Club Member

I never understood the Porsche hype. Besides some historic race cars, I find most of them rather boring and uninteresting. I guess the hype comes more from the fact that it was a forbidden brand in simracing until now, oh well...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Some??
    Porsche is the most successful GT 's racing brand.
    That's the reason of the hype, pretty reasonable IMO.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. FeltHat

is there any benefit? :p its not like average sim racer dont know how awesome porsche is or gonna buy it after driving it with sim. Well he might become porsche team fan irl

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dean Ogurek

Who knows, some data on such things might make for some interesting analysis and reading. We shouldn't assume that just because someone plays Racing-Sims means that they are not able to afford the real deal and when we consider the impact of advertising alone, the added effect of simulating driving such vehicles could be far greater.

In many things, the difference between success and failure is having the confidence in one's product or service to expect and ask for more. Sim-Racing may suffer something of a low-self-worth issue when it comes to licensing deals and markets aren't always fair, in fact - they rarely are.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  9. FeltHat

Well, we didnt assume anything. I just said, sim racer is not gonna buy porsche after playing sim.

I know it's cool to analyze but try to imagine you are the potential buyer. You have, dosh, probably cool car already, heck, you can even try the real thing before you buy it. Of course you know about how awesome porsche is because everyone knows it. Tbh i cant see sim there :p

And now with power of imagination u are porsche rep/exec or other higher staff member. Would u pay x studio so they can sell virtual representation of your cars where everyone knows about your cars, how they are, most love them and 0.000001% has potential to buy one?
    I mean, everyone pays for licenses, i believe there's a reason for that

Jokes aside, if i was porsche buyer id pray it handles closer to ams than ac :p

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  10. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

The reason why it is "backwards" are pretty simple. Big trade marks help your product sell. To a company whose primary buisness is to sell a very complicated product, such as car, selling license to use their brand comes as great source of almost no effort money. They need no engineers no r'n'd no emission rules no safety nothing... Just put a quote on a piece of paper and sign it. If they can, why shouldn't they?

11. Koba

This comment applies to console games more than serious driving sims, but marketing to kids is a huge business in general, and is very important for car companies now because there is less of a car culture for youth than there used to be.

Getting Young People Back Into Cars Is Auto Industry Job #1 – Streetsblog USA

More Companies Market Directly to Kids

This is why I said the exclusive EA license was ridiculous. I don't see how EA could have paid Porsche enough to convince them to limit exposure of their brand.

• Like Like x 1
  12. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

EA titles sell by the million. NFS Shift sold 5 million copies for example. Real Racing has sold 180 million.They also sold the rights to Forza, another title which sells by the million.

By comparison, iRacing boasts 60,000 members and Steamspy indicates AC has around 380,000 owners on PC and AMS around 30,000 owners.

13. Koba

Ah, OK, now it makes more sense. :p I've always been into PC sims and I've never owned a console, so I had no idea the disparity in numbers. But it also supports my point that marketing to kids is huge business.

14. Dean Ogurek

I think it's easy to dismiss something very important in this whole equation: young impressionable minds. Tobacco, alcohol and ad agencies recognized the impact in the 60's and it was successful enough that it had to be regulated.

Of course, consoles reach a much larger audience but, most console titles still feel like games; perhaps some Auto Exec-types are beginning to recognize the difference and sense future growth potential of the Sim market. It's all speculation on my part - of course but, we may be seeing the beginning of a growing trend.

15. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Porsche 356_3.jpg

Aren't "Adults" driving Porsches kids too?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

If the actual Boxer Cup will be RUF Cup in the future will be enough for me...

• Like Like x 1